Damien Bona 1955-2012

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Damien Bona 1955-2012

Post by OscarGuy »

I have renamed the Oscar History discussion thread in memory of Damien.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I am very sad about his passing. Like so many others, he's been such an integral part of our board for so many years that there is no denying that it wouldn't have been the same without him.

Here's a direct link to Peter's article.

http://www.cinemasight.com/damien-bona-a-remembrance/
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sasha's post was kind of on the fence but she has rectified that on his Facebook page by saying that he has in fact died.

I have posted my own remembrance on OscarSight's main page and encourage any of you who feel up to it to add to my comments.

http://www.cinemasight.com/
Greg
Tenured

Re: Damien

Post by Greg »

Here is an article about Damien at Awards Daily.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2012/01/sayi ... more-48891
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Only last month, my copy of Inside Oscar was sitting on our coffee table (as it is want to do, whenever I see a movie that might be covered by Damien and Mason) and my one-and-a-half-year-old daughter walked up and started leafing through it. She must have spent two minutes glancing through it, and I quickly grabbed a picture of her poring over a picture of Marie Dressler.

I am now so happy that I sent that picture to Damien, which he happily reposted on his Facebook page and was touched by. I never met him in person, but having that quick moment will always keep a place in my heart.

He was a dear friend on this board, a staunch critic but always one with warmth behind everything he said. ITALIANO used to give me a lot of grief about my agreement with Damien, and perhaps some of it was needed, but I have never been more proud than right now to be called a Damienite!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:This is extremely upsetting news. I kept hoping for a miracle that he would come out of it. My condolences to his loved ones.

R.I.P.
Big Magilla wrote:Reza, he's still with us.

Knowing Damien, and his sense of humor, I'm sure that he would smile reading this. And let's hope that he WILL read it. In these cases, one never knows what can happen.
I thought of the exact same thing after Magilla pointed out my faux pas. There was that running joke between us for posting all those obituary notices.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I haven't confirmed this with anyone in New York, but to the best of my knowledge, today is the day that Damien is leaving us - if it has not already happened. Nothing on his facebook wall indicates otherwise, anyway.

Damien and I were close, as most people who are reading this thread might know. He was a friend and mentor, and we shared numerous great movies and meals together when I lived in New York. Directly and indirectly, he had a significant influence no my life. The first time I ever went to New York, as a prospective college student, he took my father & me out for dinner - twice, in fact (the second time with Bill Condon in our group as well). I am glad that my wife got to know him some, too (well before she became my wife) - and I am grateful that he attended my wedding in Chicago in 2010. I will absolutely endorse what Mister Tee wrote - though his pen could be caustic, at times, he was an extroardinarily gentle, kind, warm, and generous man. I've told members of my family, and my wife's family, the sad news - many of them had met Damien at our wedding, and everyone remembered him for being an unusually sweet and likable person.

The last time I saw Damien in person was when I last visited NYC, in October. We had a lovely dinner & conversation at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, and we hugged goodbye before parting ways in the subway. A night or two later I was at a Filipino bar in Queens with some friends, and I drunkenly texted him that I was having crispy patas (one of his favorite foods - along with oysters). We'd sent a few emails back and forth since then, but those were my last "real life" interactions with him. I now wish that I could have had those last few months over again, if at least only so that we could write each other more frequently than we had. In my private life, this past week, and especially this weekend, have been very rough ... but the loss of Damien has been the worst and most painful of the lot. I am going to miss him terribly.

I will certainly never think of, or watch, certain films without being reminded of Damien, whether because of his tastes or because of private conversations we'd had about them. The same will go for certain cities (New York, Paris), or places (like New York's Algonquin Hotel bar), certain drinks (the martini - very dry and made only with gin, of course), certain foods (I was lucky enough to have had his famous risotto once) ...
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

"Rest in peace" would stills seem to apply... just don't rest any more than is necessary.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:This is extremely upsetting news. I kept hoping for a miracle that he would come out of it. My condolences to his loved ones.

R.I.P.

Knowing Damien, and his sense of humor, I'm sure that he would smile reading this. And let's hope that he WILL read it. In these cases, one never knows what can happen.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Yes he is. I woke at 6am and read part of this thread and in my confusion misunderstood. Have just now had a chance to read it all.

Has anyone from our board visited Damien in hospital?
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

Terrible news. We hope for the best.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I had the chance to spend an evening with Damien when I went to New York a few years back; we saw The Seafarer on Broadway and then went to dinner after. Was hoping to go back this year or next so we could do it all again. I wouldn't say that I only made that trip to meet Damien, but the prospect of meeting him was part of what convinced me to go ahead and make that trip. (I only hate I missed meeting Zach--who was still in NY at the time--on the same trip.) Damien had an enormous impact on me and my development as a movie fan--probably more than any other person. The loss of Damien will leave a huge void, and I'm at a loss for words.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza, he's still with us.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This is extremely upsetting news. I kept hoping for a miracle that he would come out of it. My condolences to his loved ones.

R.I.P.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I somehow missed the initial post a few days ago, so this morning's news was the first I knew anything was going on. I was too devastated by it to even post in response till now.

Damien and I had exhanged emails recently, about my wife's health among other matters, and, while I knew he was dealing with some issues, there was nothing to prepare me for a blow like this. Ralph must be in shock.

It's very difficult to start thinking about Damien in the past tense, but I did want to say, for those who never had the pleasure of meeting him, that he was a truly kind, gentle soul. We all know his pen could be wicked, but his persona was generous through and through.

It goes without saying, he's irreplaceable here. He'd hate for me to say this, given his loathing for the lady, but I feel much as I did when I knew Pauline Kael was gone -- that I was so accustomed to hearing/enjoying this person's singular take on movies, even when we violently disagreed, that it's impossible to imagine going on without that voice.

Goodbye, friend. We'll not see your like again.

Return to “The People”