New Developments III

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Gingrich is an opportunist who speaks out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. The problem isn't so much that the general populace is too dumb to see past him or too ignorant to figure it out but that they are as fooled by his "mad as hell and not going ot take it anymore" showboating. They think this will somehow translate to "getting things done".
I doubt they're being so far-sighted about it. They're angry at Obama and want a candidate who will yell at him for a few months.

In other New Developments, I was very happy yesterday to see the Supreme Court unanimously tell the Obama administration to stop acting like the Bush administration. Would that they did it more often for the Bush administration.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Gingrich is an opportunist who speaks out of both sides of his mouth at the same time. The problem isn't so much that the general populace is too dumb to see past him or too ignorant to figure it out but that they are as fooled by his "mad as hell and not going ot take it anymore" showboating. They think this will somehow translate to "getting things done".

On the other hand, alarge part of the electorate will grant that Obama has accomplished a lot, but that he hasn't done anything for them. In the end, though, I think he'll be re-elected, but will the Democrats be able to take back the House of Representatives and will they ever get their act together and work as a bloc the way the Republicans do to get things done without a lot of foolish self-defeating compromises?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

They couldn't get behind Perry because he was too dumb. They couldn't get behind Cain because he was too ignorant. So the Republicans will settle for Gingrich, whose incoherency is capable of fooling the dumb and ignorant into thinking he's brilliant. I was considering voting third-party this election year. But if Gingrich is the nominee, I'll be forced to vote for Obama.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I still think Romney will win out in the end. The Republicans need him as much as they don't. I've been hoping for a collapse/split of the Republican party for years but it still hasn't materialized. If only the Tea Party were an actual third party and not an arm of the religious right, it might be more interesting.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I fear Newt Gingrich as the nominee. This is going to end up being the most negative Presidential campaign of my conscious lifetime. And unless Barack Obama starts to up his game and start acting like the President, Newt could end up winning.

What I like about Newt as the nominee is this: the base of the right is in fractions right now.In an age where Rick Perry aired his "Strong" advertisement, where Rick Santorum's (how shall I put this?) "private thoughts" are actually said without fear in the public forum, demonstrates how far to the right the base is moving. That Santorum is at all seen as halfway viable is pretty staggering. And yet, in the age of the Tea Party, Mitt Romeny is now just barely losing grip of the nomination. A total moderate at, well, not the height of the Tea Party zeitgeist but a year or two past it. Were they to run Mitt and he were to lose, the lesson they would learn is "Go crazier." The problem was that they didn't have a candidate Church-y and hate-y enough. And the next guy would be a piece of work. That dialogue is still going to happen when Newt Gingrich loses, but right now? The Right needs to lose for being a Republican, not Mitt Romney.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote:As the pundits keep reminding us, the Democrats hoped Reagan would win the Republican nomination in 1980 because he couldn't win the general election. Be careful what you wish for.
Yeah, but Gingrich is no Reagan and Obama certainly is not Carter.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

As the pundits keep reminding us, the Democrats hoped Reagan would win the Republican nomination in 1980 because he couldn't win the general election. Be careful what you wish for.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Gingrich is the best and worst thing that could happen to the Republican party. Having a right wing idealogue on the top of your ticket will show the Republican National Convention just how unelectable someone like that is on a national level.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Fresh off of his big win in the South Carolina primary, Newt Gingrich is now leading in the most recent polls in Florida.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Are Republicans really going to nominate Newt Gingrich? If they do so, then Obama will officially be the luckiest man alive.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It happened during A Separation's win.

How will this affect A Separation's chances for Best Foreign Language film at the Oscars? I say it's a bad sign.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic's comment appeared a good 45 minutes before Streep. I was still awake.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

He did so somewhere between Meryl Streep and George Clooney.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Huntsman just dropped out.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Okri wrote:Is this a real ad? It says "Paid for by Newt" at the end, but wouldn't it say something else?
Yes, that actually is a real Newt ad. Don't vote for somebody because he speaks French.

Such is the world of Republicans in 2012.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Current Events”