Best Foreign Language Film

For the films of 2011
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Foreign Language Film

Post by Big Magilla »

It's eligible in all categories any other film released in L.A. within the calendar year would be. The excpetion appleis to foreign language films that are submited by their countries and are nominated in the year prior to their L.A. showings which are not then eligble to be nominated in subsequent years.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I'm not sure about eligibility rules for Foreign films but if it is eligible then judging by the incredible reception this film is getting in America it has a strong chance to get a Best Picture nod as well.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I just saw A Separation last night. It's an incredible piece of cinema. It's a very well-deserved win.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Afer teh Kelsey Grammer and Madonna wins, I was mildly surprised Angelina Jolie didn't take this one.
You're joking - or at least half-joking - but this seals it for me. It's winning Best Foreign Language film (barring a thousand-to-one nomination snub) and getting a screenplay nomination... at the very least. For all of these uncertain races we keep talking about, this one seems pretty damn certain to me.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Afer teh Kelsey Grammer and Madonna wins, I was mildly surprised Angelina Jolie didn't take this one.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. But more than that, I think if it doesn't, we should raze SPC to the ground. They've been screwing over films for a while now.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think if A Separation had maybe one more month, if it came out in October or November, it would have a chance. It's playing incredibly well in Los Angeles, and it's not just winning Foreign-Language awards but also Screenplay awards. Probably not, but everyone who sees it is going to place it very high on their ballots.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okay, is anyone else thinking that this may sneak in for a Best Picture nom? It's won as many "Best Foreign Language Film" awards as Clint's "Letters from Iwo Jima".

Yeah, I know. The other movie had Clint and Spielberg attached to it. But... the thought is starting to linger in the back of my mind.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So, glad to be wrong about that one!
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Foreign Language Film

Post by OscarGuy »

A Separation
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”