83rd Oscars Trivia

Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Teresa Wright can be added to that list. She was in Mrs. Miniver and The Best Years of Our Lives.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good Wikipedia article.

Of course, some of these multiple appearances were by actors in bit parts. Does anyone really remember Bess Flowers in any of the 22 Oscar nominated, 5 winning, films she was in?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Actually, pretty much the entire principle cast of The Godfather was in The Godfather, Part II. All except Marlon Brando and Richard Castellano really. Even James Caan, Abe Vigoda, and Gianni Russo appeared in flashbacks.

Talia Shire and Joe Spinell were in The Godfather, The Godfather, Part II, and Rocky. I am pretty sure they are the only ones to appear in 3 Best Picture winners together. Shire of course played Connie Corleone and Adrian in The Godfather, Parts I and II and Rocky, and Spinell played Willi Cicci and Tony Gazzo in those films as well.

There could be others... here's a list for Wikipedia that I've been working on for a few years of actors who have appeared in multiple Best Picture winners...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....winners

Another useless bit of information... the last time Firth and Rush were in a Best Picture winner together, they did it the year after a James Cameron movie was up for multiple Oscars including Best Picture and became the highest grossing film of all-time (Titanic and Avatar). Not that it means anything, but it's kind of amusingly weird.

Firth has also appeared in 2 different Best Picture winners in which a sibling from one Best Picture winner was in the other Best Picture winner (this is worded really awkwardly, I apologize). He was in The English Patient with Ralph Fiennes and Shakespeare in Love with Joseph Fiennes.

Edited By MovieWes on 1299775489
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry. I wasn't getting them easily, I had to sort and then search and find a few, which may have resulted in me missing Keaton. The Boyer thing was probably when I put him down before deciding to separate out the honoraries and just forgot to go back and think about the winners if they were or not. I knew Stanwyck and Russell for sure. Boyer I had forgotten
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

At the 1942 awards:

For his progressive cultural achievement in establishing the French Research Foundation in Los Angeles as a source of reference (certificate).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

When did Boyer get an honorary? I'm not doubting you, but I don't recall it.

Since we're nit-picking, I think Diane Keaton should be on the list as a 4/1. I only know this because of Uri's great Julie Christie = Diane Keaton formulation.

So, even at 4, winners outweigh losers by better than 2 to 1. But, considering so many attained 4, that's a substantial number of people who went home unhappy multiple times.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Boyer should be in the 4/0 (+1 honorary) column.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Four-time nominees with wins vs. no wins

Walter Brennan 4/3

Anthony Quinn 4/2
Daniel Day-Lewis 4/2
Shelley Winters 4/2
Glenda Jackson 4/2
Jodie Foster 4/2

Peter Ustinov 4/2 (though, one of those nominations is in writing)

Mickey Rooney 4/0 (+2 special awards)

George C. Scott 4/1
Ben Kingsley 4/1
Anthony Hopkins 4/1
Jon Voight 4/1
William Hurt 4/1
Robin Williams 4/1
Burt Lancaster 4/1
Helen Mirren 4/1
Jane Wyman 4/1
Maureen Stapleton 4/1
Lee Grant 4/1
Joanne Woodward 4/1
Julie Christie 4/1
Frances McDormand 4/1
Holly Hunter 4/1
Ethel Barrymore 4/1
Geoffrey Rush 4/1
Diane Keaton 4/1

Rosalind Russell 4/0 (+1 honorary)
Barbara Stanwyck 4/0 (+1 honorary)
Charles Boyer 4/0 (+1 honorary)

Ed Harris 4/0
Montgomery Clift 4/0
Agnes Moorehead 4/0
Jane Alexander 4/0
Marsha Mason 4/0
Julianne Moore 4/0
Claude Rains 4/0
Annette Bening 4/0

Edited By OscarGuy on 1299607264
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mister Tee wrote:I can't believe I almost let this one slip by:

Over a short 11-year span, there were three films based on Les Liaisons Dangereuses -- Dangerous Liaisons, Valmont and Cruel Intentions. The three -- mostly the first two -- featured any number of actors who've contended for awards in various media. Yet, until last week, the only person from that illustrious group who'd managed to win an Oscar was Reese Witherspoon from the worst of the three. Thank you, Colin Firth, for changing that.

And now, may we get to work on Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, John Malkovich...
I'll admit she's not a Ryan Phillippe, but what about an honorary award for Jeanne Moreau?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I can't believe I almost let this one slip by:

Over a short 11-year span, there were three films based on Les Liaisons Dangereuses -- Dangerous Liaisons, Valmont and Cruel Intentions. The three -- mostly the first two -- featured any number of actors who've contended for awards in various media. Yet, until last week, the only person from that illustrious group who'd managed to win an Oscar was Reese Witherspoon from the worst of the three. Thank you, Colin Firth, for changing that.

And now, may we get to work on Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, John Malkovich...
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

All but one of this year's winners in the Picture, Directing, Screenwriting, and Acting categories went to films dealing with real-life people in real-life siuations.

Edited By Greg on 1298999483
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Re: Co-stars in multiple Best Pictures:

Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins in The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia

Robert DeNiro and John Cazale in The Deer Hunter and The Godfather, Part II.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:
rain Bard wrote:Big Broadcast of 1938, and Gold Diggers of 1935.
Can both these films really be termed as sequels?
Probably more entries of a same franchise.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

rain Bard wrote:Big Broadcast of 1938, and Gold Diggers of 1935.
Can both these films really be termed as sequels?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Toy Story 3 is the first film to win Best Animated Feature and Best Song. Only two other Animated Feature winners have won awards in another category as well; Up won Best Score and The Incredibles won Best Sound Editing.

It's the first sequel to win the Best Animated Feature category, and (I'm pretty certain) the fourth sequel to win the Best Song category. The others are Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Big Broadcast of 1938, and Gold Diggers of 1935.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”