Best Picture

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

With The King's Speech having won Best Picture, Bob and Harvey Weinstein have been involved behind the scenes of more Best Picture winners than anyone in history. They were also involved with The English Patient (1996), Shakespeare in Love (1998), Chicago (2002), and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003).
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The King's Speech not only peaked at the right time, Harvey put his normal machine to work to bring prestige to his floundering company. Expect more of this over the years because the Academy can be bought with tears and Weinstein knows just how to elicit them.

This may also mean the end of the auteur years of the Oscars. The '70s Rebirth has begun to fade.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I've only seen a handful of BP nominees this year, but I have seen the 'favorites' ... and while I get the feeling that a Feb/March release would have surely, obviously doomed The King's Speech to Oscar obscurity (and it's not a special film), there are more offensive lapses of taste than this one ...
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I knew it would win the moment I heard people in the theatre crying during the big speech moment. Tears win you Oscars. I did not realize people would be so moved by THE KING'S SPEECH, but clearly it touched them.

I am really surprised the film won so few Oscars. I figured it would sweep Costume and Score up in its Best Picture love. Very strange, especially THE SOCIAL NETWORK beating THE KING'S SPEECH for score. I thought that meant THE KING'S SPEECH had found little love from the Academy.

Just a very bizarre Oscar year all-around. The critics sweep, the Guilds reversal, and then this night being all over the place.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

kaytodd wrote:Most undeserving BP winner since Braveheart, possibly even in my lifetime. For that film and its director to receive those honors make no sense to me.
I got this one Eric....you're forgetting Crash (Gladiator or A Beautiful Mind or Slumdog or American Beauty or Lord of the frickin Rings)

But, actually I totally get the BP win part...it's the directing nomination I'm baffled by honestly...to win is just poppycock.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Sonic Youth wrote:My wife's happy, at least.
Meh, my girlriend LOVES the idea of The King's Speech winning Best Picture...there's bound to be differences in taste...
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

The King's Speech, meet Around the World in 80 Days and A Beautiful Mind, among many others: welcome to the world of medicority...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

My wife's happy, at least.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Most undeserving BP winner since Braveheart, possibly even in my lifetime. For that film and its director to receive those honors make no sense to me.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Didn't like that they had TKS speech over every single nominee. Was that really necessary?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The King's Speech
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”