83rd Academy Awards Nominations

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rolotomasi99 wrote:What the fucking-fuck just happened?

Apparently all the editors in the Academy need to be expelled, and new blood should be brought in. INCEPTION not being nominated for editing is a fucking insult to the film itself and the editing category in general.
As Magilla has pointed out, it's BEST Editing, not Most Editing. Kudos to the Editing Branch for ignoring the mess that is Inception.

True Grit is a worse editing omission, but with that film there's the Roderick Jaynes issues. And while the Coens have been nominated under that pseudonym in the past, I think there probably will always be some resistance to nominating the directors here in lieu of a professional editor.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Poor Melissa Leo.
Why?
You will see why on February, 27th.

The fith nominee would have been Black Swan (most probably) or The Kids are All Right (very possible) or even 127 Hours or Winter's Bone, but certainly not Inception, trust dear old Italiano.

Best Actress will be certainly interesting - it would have been even more interesting had Steinfeld been nominated in the category she belongs to.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:There's a huge difference between Hoop Dreams/Crumb and Waiting for "Superman". Those aforementioned docs were very well thought of by critics. While most liked Superman, they weren't that impressed with it, which is why Exit Through the Gift Shop was named so frequently best of the year.
Exit Through the Gift Shop nominated for Best Doc?? This is the best Christmas ever!

(I've been looking at all the noms on Cinemasight, Oscar Guy, I promise. Some things just didn't strike me immediately until they were pointed out here.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

What the fucking-fuck just happened?

Apparently all the editors in the Academy need to be expelled, and new blood should be brought in. INCEPTION not being nominated for editing is a fucking insult to the film itself and the editing category in general.

Anyone who thinks THE KING'S SPEECH deserves an editing nomination over INCEPTION probably also thinks GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER deserved an editing nomination over BONNIE AND CLYDE. Just like that year, it is clear there are folks who just need to be put in the retirement home and not allowed to choose nominees. This is fucking ridiculous.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Original BJ wrote:It's odd to see Michelle Williams nominated without Ryan Gosling, no? I'd have thought the pair would have been nominated or omitted together. (The omissions of Gosling and Garfield seem evidence of the fact that the acting branch only likes to grant so many nominations on young men.)
For all we know, Gosling received more votes than Michelle Williams and it still wasn't enough. If it weren't for that Steinfeld category fraud, neither Blue Valentine actors would have gotten in.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's a huge difference between Hoop Dreams/Crumb and Waiting for "Superman". Those aforementioned docs were very well thought of by critics. While most liked Superman, they weren't that impressed with it, which is why Exit Through the Gift Shop was named so frequently best of the year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is the last time I ever predict against a Mike Leigh script. I told myself that after predicting against Topsy-Turvy, Vera Drake, AND Happy-Go-Lucky, that I wouldn't do it this year...and then Another Year just seemed to be nowhere and I figured it didn't have the support. Silly me.

Kudos to Mister Tee (and company) for seeing the Christopher Nolan omission coming. I can't say I'm offended by that -- certainly not in the way the online fanboys will be -- but, as someone who really loved Memento, I've always wanted to see him get into the Best Director lineup, and it did look like he finally would this year.

It's odd to see Michelle Williams nominated without Ryan Gosling, no? I'd have thought the pair would have been nominated or omitted together. (The omissions of Gosling and Garfield seem evidence of the fact that the acting branch only likes to grant so many nominations on young men.)

As for HaiLead, I predicted that she'd be bumped up, but of course I'm not surprised that she wasn't. I think it's fairly obvious by this point that there's just no way of getting around these fraudulent category placements. This time grumblings were fairly loud -- much louder than usual, I think -- but voters still bought what the campaign (and all those g.d. podunk critics) were selling.

Black Swan's omission in Sound Mixing -- for The King's Speech's Shakespeare in Love-style nomination booster -- was hugely disappointing. (It is worth noting, though, that this is the first time in a while that we've seen significant difference between the two sound categories.)

The I Am Love Costume nod was a pleasant surprise -- everyone looked great in that movie, and it's always nice when contemporary pics get noticed there.

The Waiting for "Superman" omission certainly must recall the Hoop Dreams/Crumb days of the most highly-buzzed docs being stunningly excluded.

I'm sure there's much more to say, but I need to go back to bed.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In most years, the five Best Picture nominees were also the most nominated, so my guess would be:

The Fighter
Inception
The King's Speech
The Social Network
True Grit

That would leave Inception/Aronofsky the lone director out split
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kova wrote:I think if anyone is feeling good about these nominations, it's Annette Bening: her film (shockingly) almost earned as many nominations as Black Swan.

If Portman's film turned off as many voters as its snubs suggest, Best Actress is no longer such an open-and-shut case.
Good points. We may have an actual horse race on our hands.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, Sonic. The Editing nominations were: Black Swan, Fighter, King's Speech, 127 Hours, The Social Network
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:Inception wouldn't have been among the five Best Picture nominees, this I'm sure of.
Well, this is what I'll be spending the day trying to figure out, what a five-film slate would look like. It'll be a fun, futile exercize.
Poor Melissa Leo.

Why?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

I think if anyone is feeling good about these nominations, it's Annette Bening: her film (shockingly) almost earned as many nominations as Black Swan.

If Portman's film turned off as many voters as its snubs suggest, Best Actress is no longer such an open-and-shut case.

Steinfeld also seems poised for a potential upset--her film overperformed in the nominations, and her stiffest competition could split votes for the same film.

Edited By Kova on 1295967055
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Inception wouldn't have been among the five Best Picture nominees, this I'm sure of.

Poor Melissa Leo.

Glad for the one nomination I Am Love got - the only one it deserved.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:No editing nom? Maybe Inception wouldn't have been nominated in a five Best Picture slate.
This does mean one thing: Best Picture comes down to Black Swan, The Fighter, The King's Speech, 127 Hours or The Social Network. No other film has a chance.

So True Grit won't win, nor will Inception.
No editing nom for True Grit???
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:King's Speech is poised to kick some Social Network ass. Yesssss!!!!!
That's like rooting for Principal Togar to ban The Ramones from performing at Vince Lombardi High School.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”