Happy 40th Birthday to "All In the Family"

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think that description is a little simplistic. The notion that Archie Bunker represented conservatives and Mike the liberals is like saying conservatives are all basically racist and liberals are all enlightened. That clearly isn't the case. It is this image of both sides that makes it so hard for people to get along on political issues, because it creates stereotypes that I think, if they ever were true, have long been fading - to the point where its unfair to the actual disagreements that the sides are passionate about.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

'All in the Family' Brought America Together
40 Years After Its Debut, a Show That Pushed the Limits Brings a Divided Nation a Message to Remember
By John Blackstone

(CBS) Much has been said this week about the national discourse. Well, the rules for what you can and can't say on television all changed 40 years ago this week with a sitcom so controversial it debuted with a disclaimer "this program is meant to make our prejudices a source of laughter, to show how absurd they are."

It was January 1971 and American television viewers had never seen or heard anything like it, reports CBS News correspondent John Blackstone.

"God bless America -- you dumb polack," sang Archie.

"You're prejudiced! You're prejudiced!!! You're prejudiced!!!" said Mike.

As Americans argued over the Vietnam War and the struggles for women's rights and civil rights, All in the Family unflinchingly held up a mirror to a divided nation.

"In my day, nobody went around calling themselves Chicanos, Mexican Americans, Afro-Americans -- we was all Americans," said Archie. "After that if a guy was a jig or a spic it was his own business."

Archie Bunker played by Carroll O'Connor was in constant conflict with Mike, the son-in-law he called Meathead, played by Rob Reiner.

"I'm sure people still call you 'meathead'?" asked Blackstone.

"You're the first one today," answered Reiner, smiling.

Archie was the patriotic conservative, who sang, "This is America, land that I love..."

"Archie was the buffoon if you were a Mike fan and Mike was the buffoon if you were an Archie fan," said Reiner, "and that's what was good about it."

"We wanted to make an audience laugh and make them think," producer Normal Lear.

Lear created All in the Family. It took him three years to convince CBS to put it on the air. No wonder!

"I never said a guy who wears glasses is a queer," quipped Archie. "A guy who wears glasses is a four-eyes, a guy who's a fag is a queer."

While the show seemed to have something to offend everyone -- it became a hit -- number one for five years with up to sixty million viewers a week. A divided country was united watching All in the Family.

"People on the left and people on the right laughing together -- for the moment they're laughing together, they are one," said Lear.

Lear doesn't claim that his situation comedy changed anybody's mind but he says it was like getting everybody sitting in the same pew.

"While they're laughing, they're together," said Lear. "This is the important thing: laughter is like a church service."

"We'd get upset, we'd get crazy and angry but eventually we saw that the other person was a human being," said Reiner.

And that may be a message from Archie and Mike worth remembering today:

Though we have our differences, we're all in the American family.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”