Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm also dead. I've heard the name Justin Timberlake and I know that he's a singer, but I would never recognize his face nor any of his songs.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Eat Pray Love (Ryan Murphy, 2010) 3/10

Boring characters made it such a chore to sit through despite the Italian locations. Hollywood needs to show modern India in it's proper light. Yes the world knows there is a lot of poverty there but it would be a change to see so many of the lovely sights in that country instead of the usual shots.

The American (Anton Corbjin, 2010) 7/10

Italy seems to be the place to shoot films........and I'm glad. Can't get enough of this lovely country. The film has a John Le Carre feel to it, sparse and vague, which works in it's favour. Clooney is superb and extremely charismatic as the assassin and proves again and again that he is a star in the old fashioned sense like the ones from Hollywood's golden era. Great new faces amongst the female actors along with great cinematography of the beautiful locations.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:My daughter just said to me ........''You have to be dead NOT to know who Justin Timberlake is''. I guess I'm dead then !!

You're also not a young girl.

I'm surprised at your take of "Social Network", Reza, because I found the film to be, above all, a superlative ensemble achievement - like most great screen comedies, which is what SN is first and foremost... and is much less compelling when it tries to be less acerbic. This was a crackling cast and at the very least the film deserves the SAG Ensemble award. But I'll save this for my proper review, which will be... god knows when.

But as for Timberlake, I can only reiterate what Sabin said. He is is a born entertainer. Some people have this innate ability to be the focus of attention, and make an audience thankful that he/she may do so. I was reminded of it several months ago as I watched the Rolling Stone concert film "Gimme Shelter" and the onstage patter he engaged the audience with in between numbers. "My trousers almost fell off as I was singing! ... (pause)... You wouldn't want my trousers to fall off... (pause, twinkle)... would you now?" Jagger brought this bit of silliness off with a veteran's confidence, taking command of the stage before a crowd of several hundred thousand attendees. At the age of 26, he was as polished a Master of Ceremony as any Rat Pack member.

Timberlake possesses this same sort of essence. A master entertainer is a master communicator, and Timberlake isn't riding the wave of his success on his music and looks alone. He wants to expand his image, and he has the ability to do it. He sort of reminds me of Madonna in the sense that he knows what he wants and he's able to take command of his own career on his own terms. His guest spots on Saturday Night Live was self-depricating evidence of this; his performance in "Social Network" is the proof. He has screen presence aplenty, which with iconic pop stars is not necessarily a given. (Elvis never transistioned well.) But as a comic performer, Timberlake has the timing of a musician. He sells the lines Sorkin supplies him like they were lyrics, perfectly getting down - word-for-word - the sing-song intonation, the nimble rhythms, even the duration of silences before springing a particular emphasis on the next set of words. It bespeaks a musical entertainer's desire to communicate his message. It's perhaps very, very calculated, but apropos for a portrayal of a sickeningly privileged businessman who's also a pop icon of sorts, at least in the eyes of university wonks.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1288671988
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:Justin Timberlake has done such an astonishing job of legitimizing his wretched 'N Sync career.
Even during the late '90s glut of boy band music, I've always sensed that Justin Timberlake was better than that because among all of them, I kind of like N'Sync and never really actively disliked him.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:I would think even the most culturally-hermetic would know Timberlake as the guy who ripped off Janet Jackson's top at the Super Bowl (and then left her to basically take the heat, for which I don't plan to ever forgive him).
Oh he was that guy !!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But, Tee! He somehow didn't know it was going to happen!

And I feel kinda bad for him because that statement makes absolutely no sense.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I would think even the most culturally-hermetic would know Timberlake as the guy who ripped off Janet Jackson's top at the Super Bowl (and then left her to basically take the heat, for which I don't plan to ever forgive him).
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Justin Timberlake has done such an astonishing job of legitimizing his wretched 'N Sync career. I've heard maybe one or two of his solo career songs, and they're fine if not for me, but he is an incredibly talented performer. I don't know how much range he has, but on the basis of The Social Network (in which he is quite good, although his role does slightly ice berg the film's greatest strength - Zuckerberg's POV - and thus the film) and his hosting gigs on SNL, he has quite a career ahead of him. Which is saying something.

To me? He will always be one of those obnoxious fuckers who destroyed my summer in '99 when I worked at a Blockbuster and every day was slightly ruined by having to watch/hear the "Bye Bye Bye" music video on the screens. What a horrible summer for music! The Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, Christina Aguillera, Ricky Martin, Enrique Eglelias, Britney Spears...that was what greeted me as I left high school. I should have taken it as a sign of things to come.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Andrew Garfield (the new Spiderman) played Eduardo Severin, the guy Eisenberg's Zuckerberg screwed over. Justin Timberlake played Sean Parker, the Napster founder who screwed everybody over.
I must be REALLY losing it. Can remember these characters but cannot put a face to them........and I watched this film yesterday.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Andrew Garfield (the new Spiderman) played Eduardo Severin, the guy Eisenberg's Zuckerberg screwed over. Justin Timberlake played Sean Parker, the Napster founder who screwed everybody over.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:You do not know who Justin Timberlake is, Reza?!?

I know he's a singer but have no clue what he looks like or what his famous songs are.......although I'm sure I must have heard his songs on FM. While watching the film I kept thinking Timberlake was that kid married to Demi Moore but later remembered that she is married to Ashton something or the other !!

My daughter just said to me ........''You have to be dead NOT to know who Justin Timberlake is''. I guess I'm dead then !!

Edited By Reza on 1288635092
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

You do not know who Justin Timberlake is, Reza?!?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Winter's Bone, on the other hand, is a puzzlement for me. I didn't know any of the actors. I figured out who John Hawkes was from the size of his role, but Dale Dickey I just looked up. She plays the mean woman.

I don't get what's so special about this film. It's about a bunch of lowlifes who, without spoiling the plot, do a lot of bad things, presumably because they're from the Ozarks where there's a lot of inbreeding which has messed up their heads. As for Jennifer Lawrence, I kept thinking about what Thelma Ritter had to say about Anne Baxter's hard luck story at the beginning of All About Eve, "What a story! Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end."
I just loved the stark, bleak ''world'' depicted in this film. I think those lowlifes in Deliverance must have come from this same ''world''. Lol.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I haven't written about The Social Network because I'm on the fence about it. I generally like David Fincher's films, but except for Benjamin Button they take more than one viewing for me to fully appreciate them. But I certainly knew who Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake were.

Winter's Bone, on the other hand, is a puzzlement for me. I didn't know any of the actors. I figured out who John Hawkes was from the size of his role, but Dale Dickey I just looked up. She plays the mean woman.

I don't get what's so special about this film. It's about a bunch of lowlifes who, without spoiling the plot, do a lot of bad things, presumably because they're from the Ozarks where there's a lot of inbreeding which has messed up their heads. As for Jennifer Lawrence, I kept thinking about what Thelma Ritter had to say about Anne Baxter's hard luck story at the beginning of All About Eve, "What a story! Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end."

Edited By Big Magilla on 1288620784
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Frozen (Adam Green, 2010) 5/10

A variation of the 1970s disaster flicks with basically a cast of three unknown actors. Peril on a suspended ski lift with snow and wolves in the mix. Not bad.

I Am Love (Luca Guadagino, 2009) 6/10

Tilda Swinton has suddenly become a very interesting actor............come to think of it she always was but has now gone more mainstream. The lovely Italian locations are a big plus factor along with the appearances of Gabriele Ferzetti and a superb Marisa Berenson (who unfortunately looks too preserved thanks to a bad facelift).

Winter's Bone (Debra Granik, 2010) 9/10

The year's best film so far with an exceptional performance by the young leading lady. I don't care if Annette Bening or Julianne Moore go Oscarless again this year but I'll be thrilled if the superb Jennifer Lawrence wins best actress. Great script, direction and cinematography. Plus wonderful supporting performances by John Hawkes and Dale Dickey, two actors I'd never heard of before.

The Social Network (David Fincher) 6/10

I think I prefer Facebook itself. The film has an urgency to it that was catchy. Jesse Eisenberg is good as the cocky protagonist. I could not put a name to any of the other actors on screen except, maybe, David Selby. So I came away not knowing who the critically acclaimed Justin Timberlake or Andrew Garfield were and what parts they had played. And I wasn't interested enough to check up on them.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”