Joaquin Faux-enix

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Does this surprise anyone?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Joaquin Phoenix 'documentary' made up, admits director Affleck

Agence France-Presse September 18, 2010 10:46 AM

Director Casey Affleck has finally admitted that what was billed as a documentary portraying the drug-addled collapse of Joaquin Phoenix's acting career was, in fact, all made up.

In an interview with The New York Times, Affleck says that I'm Still Here is not the raw, painful piece of reality filming that it pretended to be as it follows Phoenix over a two-year period.

"It's a terrific performance. It's the performance of his career," Affleck was quoted as saying in the interview on Thursday.

Scenes of drug-taking and prostitution were all staged, as were scenes from what was supposedly archive footage of Phoenix's family. "There were multiple takes, these are performances," Affleck said.

Even Phoenix's infamously deadbeat appearance on the David Letterman talk show in 2009 was not what it appeared. Phoenix -- unknown to Letterman -- was acting throughout.

"We wanted to create a space," Affleck was quoted as saying. "You believe what's happening is real."

Affleck presented the movie at the Venice film festival in September as an "unflinching" documentary.

During some 18 months of shooting, Phoenix "never shied away from letting me see all the different aspects of his personality," Affleck said of Phoenix, who is his brother-in-law and who got an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of country singer Johnny Cash in Walk the Line.

In the Times interview, Affleck said: "I never intended to trick anybody. . . . The idea of a quote, hoax, unquote, never entered my mind."
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Definitely the making of a brilliant mockumentary.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If you had doubt in your mind that this was performance art, check this out. I'm now more than ever certain that we're looking at something akin to the Borat film. I'll bet within two years when he's done making this "documentary", he'll return to normal.

Phoenix Gig Ends In Brawl

12 March 2009 5:10 AM, PDT

Actor-turned-rapper Joaquin Phoenix had to be restrained by a security guard at a gig in Florida - after he launched himself at a heckler in the audience.

The star - who has quit acting to pursue a hip-hop career - was playing a gig at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel in Miami on Wednesday night when the incident occurred.

Fans packed into the hotel's nightclub waited four hours until Phoenix eventually appeared on stage at 2am, mumbling the words to his songs over a backing track.

And when one man began jeering from the crowd, Phoenix jumped down from the stage to confront him, yelling, "We have a b**** in the audience. I've got $1 million in the bank, what have you got."

Phoenix was restrained by security guards and dragged away.

Audience member Jorge Lledo says, "I saw the guy screaming at Joaquin, and Joaquin just came down."

The incident was captured on camera by Phoenix's brother-in-law Casey Affleck, who is said to be filming the star's career change for a documentary.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

On another note, Two Lovers looks sort of great.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Hasn't Joaquin Phoenix always been a complete nutcase? I think we first realized it when he accidentally did Walk the Line and had to do a second tour of the interview circuit...and began making up words and giving silent treatments and jackass type answers to the same ole questions.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Have we decided if this is all a big hoax, a social experiment, or simply Phoenix on a huge amount of drugs? He is a talented enough actor to pull something like this off (pulling an Andy Kaufman), but is it for real? I think Letterman got off some hilarious lines throughout, a very entertaining segment for both Phoenix and Dave.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The Letterman segment with Phoenix is hilarious. Letterman gets off a great line during and embarrassing pause when Phonenix appears catatonic. You have to watch YouTube for this, but if you want a good laugh....
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I forget if it was on Leno or Conan, but there was a guest that made fun of him but imitating his Letterman appearance.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

So did anyone watch the Letterman interview the other day? I think that Joaquin Phoenix has gone off the deep end.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

A longer, more detailed article...

Joaquin Phoenix Shocks With Retirement Announcement

by Matt McDaniel | October 29, 2008

Joaquin Phoenix, who turned 34 years old just yesterday, stunned E! Online reporter Jason Kennedy with the announcement that he would be retiring from acting. The two-time Oscar nominee stated this on the red carpet at a Monday benefit for the Association of Hole in the Wall Camps, a charity founded by Paul Newman.

Phoenix said that "Two Lovers," his upcoming romantic drama with Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw, will be his final on-screen role.

"This will be my last performance as an actor. I'm not doing films anymore... I've been through that. I've done it... I'm dead serious."

Phoenix is apparently giving up acting to pursue music, a passion of his since he learned to play guitar to play the role of Johnny Cash in 2005's "Walk the Line." According to Billboard, Phoenix is working on an album with Tim Burgess, frontman for the UK group The Charlatans. Burgess said, "Once he learnt guitar he found that he had quite a lot of demons inside himself that he wanted to expel through music.

Phoenix appeared at the charity event on Monday with his brother-in-law, Casey Affleck. Affleck is married to Phoenix's younger sister, Summer. In explaining his retirement decision, Phoenix said, "It's Casey's time now."

Affleck confirmed for E! Online that Phoenix is telling the truth when he says he's leaving the acting profession, saying, "I guess he's getting into music. He's putting out an album." But both Affleck and Phoenix hurried away from the cameras without elaborating.

"Two Lovers," Phoenix's final film, premiered earlier this year at the Cannes Film Festival to mostly positive reviews. Ray Bennett of The Hollywood Reporter writes, "Phoenix plays the romantic lead with great intelligence and enormous charm, making his character's conflict utterly believable." The picture is scheduled for release on February 13th, 2009. So far there is no word on when Phoenix's first album will hit shelves.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

MovieWes wrote:The latest film of Phoenix, 34, is "Two Lovers," a romantic drama starring him and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Having to kiss Gwynie would drive me into a different line of work too.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Didn't DDL retire too? A few films ago?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This has "taken out of context" written all over it.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”