Best Supporting Actress 1971

1927/28 through 1997

Best Supporting Actress 1971

Ann-Margret - Carnal Knowledge
6%
Ellen Burstyn - The Last Picture Show
32%
Barbara Harris - Who Is Harry Kellerman?
10%
Cloris Leachman - The Last Picture Show
48%
Margaret Leighton - The Go-Between
3%

Total votes: 31

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Supporting Actress 1971

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:39 pm I saw Harry Kellerman so long ago that I've forgotten it, but Barbara Harris I'll never forget.

She and Elaine May were first female stars of improvisational theatre in the late 1950s-early1960s, the counterparts of Alan Arkin and Paul Sand.

By the mid-1960s, she was a great big Broadway star. Her performance on the original cast recording of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever easily outshines Barbra Streisand in the film version. On screen in 1965's A Thousand Clowns, she makes this monotonous film bearable while she's in it.

In the 1970s, she is haunting singing "It Don't Worry Me", closing out he film and is terrific utilizing her great comedic skills opposite Jodie Foster in the first film version of Freaky Friday. She was also memorable as one of the stars of Hitchcock's last film, Family Plot.

She turned up in the 1980s as Kathleen Turner's mother in Peggy Sue Got Married. She had a bit part in Grosse Point Blank and then she was gone, retired to academia, teaching acting to kids who had no idea who she was for her last twenty years on earth in Scottsdale, Arizona of all places.
For an actor who won a lot of acclaim - 3 Tony nods (one win), an Oscar nod, and 3 Golden Globe nods - she pretty much disappeared.

I also liked her in Plaza Suite (with Walter Matthau), The War Between Men and Women (with Jack Lemmon) and The Seduction of Joe Tynan (with Alan Alda).

I think its time to finally catch up with her Oscar nominated performance which I have never seen.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:03 pm
Big Magilla wrote
She turned up in the 1980s as Kathleen Turner's mother in Peggy Sue Got Married. She had a bit part in Grosse Point Blank and then she was gone, retired to academia, teaching acting to kids who had no idea who she was for her last twenty years on earth in Scottsdale, Arizona of all places.
I grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona of all places.
I know. I visited the Pheonix-Tempe-Scottsdale area for business many times in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I always enjoyed those visits despite the intense summer heat but it's difficult to picture a Broadway-Hollywood star as sophisticated as Barbara Harris spending twenty years in relative obscurity in a place where nobody (she said many times) had any idea who she was.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
I grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona of all places.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I saw Harry Kellerman so long ago that I've forgotten it, but Barbara Harris I'll never forget.

She and Elaine May were first female stars of improvisational theatre in the late 1950s-early1960s, the counterparts of Alan Arkin and Paul Sand.

By the mid-1960s, she was a great big Broadway star. Her performance on the original cast recording of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever easily outshines Barbra Streisand in the film version. On screen in 1965's A Thousand Clowns, she makes this monotonous film bearable while she's in it.

In the 1970s, she is haunting singing "It Don't Worry Me", closing out he film and is terrific utilizing her great comedic skills opposite Jodie Foster in the first film version of Freaky Friday. She was also memorable as one of the stars of Hitchcock's last film, Family Plot.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just watched Who is Harry Kellerman... on YouTube. Watching it, I felt like I had more seen an idea for a movie rather than a movie. I guess it makes the big mistake of assuming we care more about Georgie Soloway than what he represents and I don't think it's a film with much to say about... wherever and whenever this film takes place and it was hard to drum up much patience for it. I could see it being an effective Wild Strawberries/Stardust Memories type of narrative but it's not. But then Barbara Harris shows up and it goes to this whole different level. I don't know what she represents either but I don't much care. She comes on-screen and you can't think about anything else. Such a touching portrait of a person who is so lonely (but not alone) she's formed her own language to help her make sense of the world. I wanted to follow her into her own movie.

Looking her up online I guess I've seen her in Nashville (though my last viewing of that film was twenty years ago so I barley remember her) and apparently she's in Grosse Point Blank. I'd love to see more of her.
"How's the despair?"
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

This discussion occurred almost five years ago, but for those who still may be interested, (and I happen to be very interested after reading Tee's and Marco's words about Barbara Harris), here's the link for the entire Who Is Harry Kellerman:

http://youtu.be/coCS3f1adwU
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's certainly the part of the performance most of us have recalled all these years, but, not being preceded by the audition, it feels like it begins abruptly. If you came in the second Mo 'Nique began her final interview in Precious, you might not feel the full effect. Also, people here who've obviously never seen it might conclude this was the sum total of Harris' screen time, when it's actually a bit more substantial. The part isn't enormous, but it's not Beatrice Straight-level, either.

Nice print, by the way -- especially compared to the washed-out version they showed on TV55 the other night. In that telecast, when Hoffman lit her cigarette, you could barely see anything beyond fuzzy hair.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There's the audition itself and two brief scenes later but this was the crux of her performance as I recall.

There are other clips on YouTube that may or may not contain snippets of the remainder of her performance.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But it begins before then. And there are two more scenes later.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's her big 11 minute scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0Q9IJprR4
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Wonder if her sequence is on youtube?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think she struck a chord with the actors' branch because of the way she laughs through her tears in the audition scene, something they could relate to, but the film is torture to sit through waiting for that moment to come.

Amazon partners are selling the VHS tape for $6.50 new and $2.45 used.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I now have to somehow find Harry Kellerman to watch Harris' lauded performance.

Do you guys think that, apart from the performance itself, Harris got in on the strength of her name? After all she was an acclaimed Tony winning actress on Broadway by the time this film came out.

Edited By Reza on 1281164973
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Barbara Harris was indeed very good in the film, but the film itself is so bad that by the time her character appears (if i remember correctly in the last 30 minutes) you almost don't care anymore and you just want to see the credits roll by.

My top 6
Barbara Harris - Who Is Harry Kellerman?
Cloris Leachman - Last Picture Show
Margaret Leighton - The Go-Between
Ann Margret – Carnal Knowledge
Irene Papas – The Trojan Women
Vanessa Redgrave – The Trojan Women
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:I sat absolutely floored by her beautiful, multi-colored rendition of a "my life's slipping away" monologue.

Me too. There is a moment which has always stayed with me, when she tells Hoffman that today it's her birthday - she turns 34 I think - and she says something like: "This morning I woke up and suddenly I wasn't young anymore". The way she does this - compared to the way another, less intelligent actress would have done it - without any easy tear-jerking effect, but with a kind of soft, vague sadness, should be shown to young students of acting.

Bruce, see the movie for Harris's performance - for once, you will be tempted to vote for a performance in a movie you don't like, I'm sure.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1281117588

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”