WGA Winners

For the films of 2012
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: WGA Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Argo is not my first choice for a single award this year, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a strong runner up in my book for Best Film Editing and Best Sound Mixing.
Editing is the one award I won't begrudge Argo. Easily its strongest achievement as far as I'm concerned.
I'd vote for Zero Dark Thirty, but Argo clearly is meritorious in this area, and would be well within the range of acceptable winners.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:Argo is not my first choice for a single award this year, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a strong runner up in my book for Best Film Editing and Best Sound Mixing.
Editing is the one award I won't begrudge Argo. Easily its strongest achievement as far as I'm concerned.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

What's totally bizarre to me is that, if you HAVE to split directing & writing prizes between Lincoln and Argo, awarding Ben Affleck/Tony Kushner makes far more sense than Steven Spielberg/Chris Terrio, yet there's a decent chance the Academy will make the latter call.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

We have an unusual state of affairs this year where four awards or more for Argo could be called something of a sweep. I'm tempted to predict it to take five - best picture, screenplay, editing, sound editing and score - with the first three looking very solid indeed. But I could certainly foresee a situation where Argo takes six or even a whole seven awards, with even Alan Arkin a potential beneficiary of the incredibly open supporting actor slate.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've been thinking it will win three awards for a while. It could actually end up winning Best Sound Mixing and it wouldn't be undeserving.

Argo is not my first choice for a single award this year, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a strong runner up in my book for Best Film Editing and Best Sound Mixing.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And the one I least want to see repeated at the Oscars is the one that's far more likely to win.

Very disappointed in the writers for hopping onto this bandwagon; they can usually be counted upon for more independent thinking. As far as taste: it's unfathomable to me a bunch of writers could see Argo as better-written than Lincoln or Silver Linings.

The best, most varied group of top level year-end Hollywood films we've seen in an age, and as far as the Hollywood guilds are concerned, only one existed. Can the contrariness of the Academy's director's branch do anything to offset the group-think?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's now looking more and more likely that Argo will take home 3 Oscars. Picture, Adapted Screenplay and Editing. Could a wave of support also push Original Score in? We already know it didn't win at the Cinema Audio Society, but the MPSE is announcing tonight, so it could still pick up more.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Absolutely ridiculous. Better luck next time, Mr. Kushner. Of course, if Kushner were in the Original category (where his screenplay belongs), we wouldn't be faced with this.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

All right. I give in.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

WGA Winners

Post by Sabin »

So far...
Best Adapted Screenplay - Argo
Best Documentary - Searching for Sugar Man