70th Annual Golden Globe Awards

For the films of 2012
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

The warbling as Hathaway took the stage was bad, but it was the sound system in the auditorium.

I honestly don't know what people expect of her at this point. Is she supposed to pretend she doesn't know she's the anticipated winner at all of these things? To me, her acceptance speech at the Globes came off as rehearsed rather than insincere. I liked her spontaneity at the BFCA more, especially when she admonished them for misspelling her name as "Ann" on the clip.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Anne Hathaway is obviously more shaping up as a sweeper, and I have no doubt I'll be predicting her. (Though I still see Sally Field as a possible winner at SAG) But I don't think she comes off all that likable in her speeches; she may well be a wonderful lady, but there's something phony-feeling about her public speaking (of course, that didn't fatally injure Renee Zellweger). Somehow, she doesn't feel like quite as inevitable a winner as Jennifer Hudson did.
From the crowd-sourcing I've done on the web, the general consensus seems to be that Anne did not come off looking that great at the Globes. Many people found her overly earnest and over-the-top and, yes, fake. Folks seem particularly put off by her grab for the microphone to thank her agent during the awarding of Best Picture - Musical or Comedy. She seems really desperate for adoration and needy, not something I really felt about her prior to this awards season. Even the nod to Sally Field in her speech felt like it had been crafted to add a certain effect.

I haven't seen Les Miz yet (going to a free screening next Wednesday at the famous Uptown Theater on Conn Ave sponsored by my grad school), but the warbling that was playing as she took to the stage sounded really bad to me. I assume, in the context of that moment in the film, her singing comes off slightly better?

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish Amy Adams could take this.
Last edited by flipp525 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I thought the Ferrell/Wiig bit was funny for only about half the length of the gag. They dragged it on for a bit too long, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:For once a well produced awards show. The only lowpoint for me was that tacky Kristin Wiig-Will Ferrell nonsense. Kudos to Tommy Lee Jones for giving them the staredown they deserved while everyone else laughed as though their schtick was actually funny.
It IS actually funny. I was dying. You and Tommy Lee Jones should go have drinks or something to discuss how your sense of humor shrivelled away and died.
Now that was funny.
I don't know whether to take this as an insult or a compliment. :lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:For once a well produced awards show. The only lowpoint for me was that tacky Kristin Wiig-Will Ferrell nonsense. Kudos to Tommy Lee Jones for giving them the staredown they deserved while everyone else laughed as though their schtick was actually funny.
It IS actually funny. I was dying. You and Tommy Lee Jones should go have drinks or something to discuss how your sense of humor shrivelled away and died.
Now that was funny.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The show was overall pretty darn good. Amy and Tina killed (though they didn't appear much after the opening monologue). Great speeches, some great moments. Good show.
Oh, for those who haven't heard: if the foreign press has a big musical nominated in Best Film, Musical or Comedy, it will win.
Unless it's something embarrassing like Burlesque. :lol:
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

.........but I wouldn't put it past them.

No matter what happens with Argo at the Oscars, the snub is turning out to the best thing that ever happened to Ben Affleck's career.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, what I always hope is for the Globes to confuse matters, and in the weird way possible this year, they did. Had Thursday's surprises not occurred -- that is, if Affleck had been nominated as expected -- with the Broadcasters and Globes going for his film many would be declaring the race over. (Though it's useful to remember The Social Network steamrolled through both as well, before hitting the Guild stonewall) Now we're forced to confront several departure-from-the-usual scenarios: Can Argo win best picture without the directing nod, the way driving Miss Daisy did? Or is this string of victories no more meaningful than what Apollo 13 racked up in '95 -- it took SAG, PGA & DGA, yet still lost to Braveheart, which had that all-important directing nomination (in addition to a DGA nomination). Well, this year, we have two films that could play Braveheart's role -- Lincoln and Life of Pi -- and I know everyone thinks Lincoln has the overwhelming prestige factor (even bringing out the Big Dog simply to introduce it). But shouldn't a film that' s going to win best picture at the Oscars manage to...you know...WIN something somewhere? Time is running out for Lincoln to make its precursor mark. And if LIncoln isn't a juggernaut, I think the race is close to wide open.

Speaking of which...whatever happened to Tommy Lee Jones' triumphal march to a second Oscar? We've become so accustomed to sweeps of the TV-phase awards (with the exception of supporting actress '07, the Broadcaster/Globe/SAG troika has lined up in the supporting categories over the last 6 years). First BFCA picked Hoffman, now the Globes have gone with Waltz. Even if Jones (quite plausibly) takes SAG, you can't mark him or anyone a particular favorite to win the Oscar.

Best actress similarly can't possibly be rated a sure thing; even if Lawrence wins SAG (which I expect), Chastain's Broadcast win balances that out. (And I'm not sure Lawrence is a great fit for BAFTA, which could go for Chastain or even throw in a wild card) And, as I've said before, I have the nagging sense that both Lawrence and Chastain are seen as such newbies that they might (like Minnelli/Fonda in '69) give way to someone with a bit more of a resume -- whether Magilla's hope Riva, or even the dread Naomi Watts. ("Dread" for this work only; I generally like her, and in fact see her as, in career terms, well positioned for a surprise win)

Anne Hathaway is obviously more shaping up as a sweeper, and I have no doubt I'll be predicting her. (Though I still see Sally Field as a possible winner at SAG) But I don't think she comes off all that likable in her speeches; she may well be a wonderful lady, but there's something phony-feeling about her public speaking (of course, that didn't fatally injure Renee Zellweger). Somehow, she doesn't feel like quite as inevitable a winner as Jennifer Hudson did.

For other categories tonight: Does the Django screenwriting win presage the original screenplay Oscar? Is it between Quentin and Mark Boal again, with a different outcome? Or do Amour or Moonrise Kingdom stand a chance?

Oh, for those who haven't heard: if the foreign press has a big musical nominated in Best Film, Musical or Comedy, it will win.

Most undeniably now an Oscar favorite: Adele.

Most dubiously now an Oscar favorite: Brave. My first thought was, they picked Cars, as well. I think animated feature is going to be one of the pool winners in this year's Oscar contest.

Fey and Poehler were reasonably funny (though I was watching rather distractedly). Thought the James Cameron and Hillary Clinton jokes were the best -- and loved the bit with JLO/Clooney in the audience.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oh.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I think the Globes are being petty this year.

"Dear AMPAS, you're going to announce the nominations before we have our ceremony? You're going to defy the precursors and display some individuality? Fine! We'll display our individuality right back!"

Isn't Jessica Chastain chilly?
Globe winners were in the envelope before the Oscar nominations.
Thanks for clarifying for those who may not have thought I was joking.

I was referring to her drafty-looking dress.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For once a well produced awards show. The only lowpoint for me was that tacky Kristin Wiig-Will Ferrell nonsense. Kudos to Tommy Lee Jones for giving them the staredown they deserved while everyone else laughed as though their schtick was actually funny.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:I think the Globes are being petty this year.

"Dear AMPAS, you're going to announce the nominations before we have our ceremony? You're going to defy the precursors and display some individuality? Fine! We'll display our individuality right back!"

Globe winners were in the envelope before the Oscar nominations.

Jessica Chastain is not chilly, she was nervous.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I think the Globes are being petty this year.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Wow we are getting everything we wanted for the Oscars to be a complete and utter wild card
OscarGuy
Site Admin

70th Annual Golden Globe Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

The winners are being announced, please put your discussions here.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”