Broadcast Film Critics Awards

For the films of 2012
criddic3
Tenured

Re: Broadcast Film Critics Awards

Post by criddic3 »

OscarGuy wrote:It reminds of that video Spielberg recorded watching the nominations in 1975 and his exclamation that he wasn't nominated for Best Director. I don't think it will hurt Affleck's career, but some will remember the dig even if it was only partially in jest. His film did seem to get louder applause than a lot of others. But that could have been mic positioning.
Good point about Spielberg. He came back with a director nod only two years later, so if Affleck keeps choosing interesting projects he might do the same.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It reminds of that video Spielberg recorded watching the nominations in 1975 and his exclamation that he wasn't nominated for Best Director. I don't think it will hurt Affleck's career, but some will remember the dig even if it was only partially in jest. His film did seem to get louder applause than a lot of others. But that could have been mic positioning.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

flipp525 wrote:Ben Affleck just won Best Director! Hahaha!

"I would like to thank the Academy...I'm kidding, I'm kidding. This is the one that counts."
Actually Affleck was funnier with that line than nearly every other one uttered all night. That probably is because it has the tinge of honesty to it, a mild sarcasm if you will...but not forced.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The show itself actually moved along at a nice pace.

I could have done without the whole Judd Apatow segment and a lot less of Sam Rubin, but the additonal awards seem to have helped speed the show along.

As for the awards themselves, will anyone remember who won what at the end of awards season, let alone next year? Well, Ben maybe, because of the Academy snub.

It's still an open Oscar race for Best Picture.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:I hope Tee enjoys the winners.
I only tuned in late, in time to see Affleck's win, which made me laugh uproariously.

To be fair, these folks went out on (for them) a tiny bit of a limb themselves in choosing Philip Seymour Hoffman, when the safest bet was Tommy Lee Jones. But the rest -- Argo/Affleck/Chastain/Hathaway, and of course Day-Lewis -- was their standard "we listen to the buzz and spew it back". As of yesterday, Argo seemed to be the best picture favorite, and Silver Linings Playbook seemed alot weaker than Zero Dark Thirty, hence these wins.

I couldn't be happier. Hope the Globes go even crazier places.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For once, I'm not frustrated with the utter banality of their selections. I think it's interesting that they gave Silver Linings Playbook the most awards, but did so in the comedy category so they could leave the rest of the races open for sharing. They didn't give Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain a tie because they gave both an award for their frontrunner films. I'm very happy for Ben and only wish this could be as predictive as it should have been. And I wonder what would have happened had voting been extended this year past the DGA announcement and these awards...I think we might have actually seen Affleck on the list of Best Director and we would have a real race for Best Picture.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Who wants to bet that the Broadcast Film Critics NEVER hold their voting before the Oscar nominations again?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I hope Tee enjoys the winners.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a bittersweet victory. I am happy for him, but holy hell is his failure at the Academy still pissing me off.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Ben Affleck just won Best Director! Hahaha!

"I would like to thank the Academy...I'm kidding, I'm kidding. This is the one that counts."
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

flipp525 wrote:Wait, is this actually on television right now?
Yeah, they're on the CW.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wait, is this actually on television right now?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Broadcast Film Critics Awards

Post by dws1982 »

You kind of have to wonder if there was a desperate meeting of the critics this afternoon where they decided to adjust a few of their winners. I wouldn't put that past them at all. The whole thing has an air of, "we had a really hard time finding presenters for this rodeo."

Picture: Argo

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Director: Ben Affleck, Argo

Comedy Film: Silver Linings Playbook

Actor in a Comedy: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

Actress in a Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Score: Lincoln

Best Song: "Skyfall", Skyfall

Best Documentary: Searching For Sugar Man

Adapted Screenplay: Lincoln

Original Screenplay: Django Unchained

Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Makeup: Cloud Atlas

Costume Design: Anna Karenina

Editing: Zero Dark Thirty

Art Direction: Anna Karenina

Cinematography: Life of Pi

Sci-Fi/Horror Film: Looper

Animated Film: Wreck-It-Ralph (apparently it won during the commercial break?!?)

Foreign Film: Amour

Supporting Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master

Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Action Movie: Skyfall

Action Movie Actor: Daniel Craig, Skyfall

Action Movie Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games

Younger Actor/Actress: Quevazhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Ensemble: Silver Linings Playbook
Last edited by dws1982 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”