American Society of Cinematographers Nominations

For the films of 2012
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: American Society of Cinematographers Nominations

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:I have not yet seen Les Miserables or Anna Karenina, but between the rest there is no competition. Every frame of Skyfall was like Deakins (usually a very story-driven shooter) showing off and it was gorgeous. I would love to see him take home his first Oscar for it. Right now, I'm guessing it will be Life of Pi which has some incredibly mediocre lensing of the storm that Pi endures before going out to see. After which, it becomes beautifully picaresque. Lincoln is one of Spielberg's worst looking films in ages. It's incredibly disappointing that following Kaminski's brilliant collaboration with Spielberg in his A.I. - Munich run, he's getting up there for stuff like War Horse and Lincoln.
It is just how I prefer my cinematography. Striking images are wonderful, but I prefer the camerawork to add to the story rather than overwhelm. It is why I rooted for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN over MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA and THE WHITE RIBBON over AVATAR (as just two examples). Sometimes the cinematography in SKYFALL struck me as garish (particularly all the shots using neon lights), but clearly I am in the minority on this opinion. As long as the subtly gorgeous work in ZERO DARK THIRTY is nominated, I will be happy. I agree with you about the unimpressive cinematography in LINCOLN, but the Academy loves Kaminski so there is no chance he will be left out.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I have not yet seen Les Miserables or Anna Karenina, but between the rest there is no competition. Every frame of Skyfall was like Deakins (usually a very story-driven shooter) showing off and it was gorgeous. I would love to see him take home his first Oscar for it. Right now, I'm guessing it will be Life of Pi which has some incredibly mediocre lensing of the storm that Pi endures before going out to see. After which, it becomes beautifully picaresque. Lincoln is one of Spielberg's worst looking films in ages. It's incredibly disappointing that following Kaminski's brilliant collaboration with Spielberg in his A.I. - Munich run, he's getting up there for stuff like War Horse and Lincoln.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:I am assuming SKYFALL or ANNA KARENINA is replaced by ZERO DARK THIRTY. Other long shot possibilities are THE MASTER, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, or DJANGO UNCHAINED.
Skyfall is probably a lock and a threat to win. I think Les Miserables is more vulnerable.
At least Danny Cohen's work on LES MISERABLES is a vast improvement over his promising but unworthy of a nomination work on THE KING'S SPEECH. The only reason I think LES MISERABLES has a strong shot in this category is simply due to its Best Picture chances.

I am really pissed to think think the cinematography for SKYFALL could actually win (let alone be nominated) over the gorgeous work in ZERO DARK THIRTY and THE MASTER. I love Deakins, but this cinematography was not the best of the year. I would put it in the top ten of the year, but in such an impressive year for cinematography it is sad to think SKYFALL, LINCOLN, or LES MISERABLES could possibly win.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:I am assuming SKYFALL or ANNA KARENINA is replaced by ZERO DARK THIRTY. Other long shot possibilities are THE MASTER, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, or DJANGO UNCHAINED.
Skyfall is probably a lock and a threat to win. I think Les Miserables is more vulnerable.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I am assuming SKYFALL or ANNA KARENINA is replaced by ZERO DARK THIRTY. Other long shot possibilities are THE MASTER, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, or DJANGO UNCHAINED.
mlrg
Associate

American Society of Cinematographers Nominations

Post by mlrg »

Anna Karenina, Seamus McGarvey, ASC, BSC
Les Miserables, Danny Cohen, BSC
Life of Pi, Claudio Miranda, ASC
Lincoln, Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall, Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”