5%
Jacki Weaver - Silver Lingngs Playbook
4%

Total votes: 101

mojoe92
Graduate

Re: Your Best Supporting Actress Choices for 2012

Post by mojoe92 »

I think DeWitt is lead more than Supporting, Kidman I wasnt impressed with, and Dowd I havent seen- Weaver was a scene stealer and IMO its the D eN iro/Cooper fight scene that secured her nom and hopefully win
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mojoe92 wrote:
Reza wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:1- Jacki Weaver- Win
2- Sally Field- Runner up
3- Amy Adams
4- Helen Hunt
5- Anne Hathaway - I cannot fathom why people like her performance so much , Samantha Barks is more deserving and impressive
I agree totally about Anne Hathaway but frankly nobody in Les Miz deserved to be nominated.

I haven't yet seen Amy Adam's performance but of the remaining on the list both Sally Field and Helen Hunt richly deserve their nominations.
in all honesty i agree, i think instead of Barks or Hathaway, Salma Hayek for Savages or Carol Kane for Sleepwalk with Me should be there
Dench, DeWitt, Kidman and Dowd were all better than Hayak. And I don't know why Weaver is on the list.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Reza wrote:
3- Amy Adams
4- Helen Hunt
5- Anne Hathaway - I cannot fathom why people like her performance so much , Samantha Barks is more deserving and impressive
I agree totally about Anne Hathaway but frankly nobody in Les Miz deserved to be nominated.

I haven't yet seen Amy Adam's performance but of the remaining on the list both Sally Field and Helen Hunt richly deserve their nominations.
in all honesty i agree, i think instead of Barks or Hathaway, Salma Hayek for Savages or Carol Kane for Sleepwalk with Me should be there
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

3- Amy Adams
4- Helen Hunt

mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

1- Jacki Weaver- Win
3- Amy Adams
4- Helen Hunt
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ann Dowd and Rosemarie DeWitt don't quite make my list of 2012's Best Supporting Actresses. But they're pretty high up on my list of 2012's Best Leading Actresses.
"How's the despair?"
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

As of right now, my nominees, alphabetically, would be:

1. Amy Adams, The Master (Placeholder for no better nominee)
2. Ann Dowd, Compliance
3. Sally Field, Lincoln
4. Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
5. Helen Hunt, The Sessions

6. Judi Dench, Skyfall
Last edited by ksrymy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I really think the 5th spot is going to Kidman -- last minute momentum seems to be heading her way
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Don't want to rain on Ann Dowd's parade but another great supporting performance that went unnoticed was by Rosemarie DeWitt in Your Sister's Friend.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

These hard luck back stories do tend to work. Just ask Sally Kirkland (Anna) and Melissa Leo (Frozen River). All that's missing are the violins.

Magnolia did send screeners to critics which may have helped Dowd get noticed in the first place, but Academy rules are stricter and they didn't feel like going through hoops to send screeners out on a box office dud that has already been released on DVD and can be bought or rented easily enough by anyone who is interested.

If she does get in it's more likely at the expense of Amy Adams than Maggie Smith, although it would be ironic if she did upset Dame Maggie (The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne) since she along with Lillian Gish (The Whales of August) and Joanne Woodward (The Glass Menagerie) is one of the actresses Kirkland upset with her back story in 1987.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I still think that fifth spot (outside of Hathaway/Field/Hunt/Adams) in Best Supporting Actress is a true wildcard and could go to Ann Dowd. She could be the little-actress-that-could this year. Also, when was the last time this category DIDN'T have a first time nominee in it? I just don't see a line-up comprised exclusively of past winners and past nominees.

I read this over at Goldderby this morning:

"Ann Dowd is paying for sending out screeners by herself - Magnolia isn't chipping in (they took a loss on the film, don't think this is a good investment). It is costing $13,000 - she likely gets a cheap deal on the DVDs (I hope), then has to package and mail them to 1200 acting branch members. Per elsewhere, she's paying $6000 herself, raised $7000 from others. She apparently in not well off, has three kids, blue collar husband, one of kids is special needs (well, her PR agent does have this down to a science it seems).

Still longshot - it's late, the film, which I like, is offputting for a lot of people - but it's an investment worth making, if for no other reason as it might get her more work."
When I first read about this move by Ann Dowd, I felt so sad for her on so many levels -- that she has to do this to be noticed by the Academy, that they are spending so much money they do not have, that she needs to do this to keep getting work, that it could utterly fail. Then I remembered how Melissa Leo paid for her own FYC ads, and how I thought many of the same things at the time. However, it all turned out wonderfully for her. I still think Ann Hathaway has a mortal death lock on Supporting Actress, but Dowd at least being nominated would be a wonderful feel-good story. Hopefully enough Academy voters like the initiative she is taking to actually watch their screener of COMPLIANCE and nominate her.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I still think that fifth spot (outside of Hathaway/Field/Hunt/Adams) in Best Supporting Actress is a true wildcard and could go to Ann Dowd. She could be the little-actress-that-could this year. Also, when was the last time this category DIDN'T have a first time nominee in it? I just don't see a line-up comprised exclusively of past winners and past nominees.

I read this over at Goldderby this morning:

"Ann Dowd is paying for sending out screeners by herself - Magnolia isn't chipping in (they took a loss on the film, don't think this is a good investment). It is costing $13,000 - she likely gets a cheap deal on the DVDs (I hope), then has to package and mail them to 1200 acting branch members. Per elsewhere, she's paying $6000 herself, raised $7000 from others. She apparently in not well off, has three kids, blue collar husband, one of kids is special needs (well, her PR agent does have this down to a science it seems).

Still longshot - it's late, the film, which I like, is offputting for a lot of people - but it's an investment worth making, if for no other reason as it might get her more work."
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Your Best Supporting Actress Choices for 2012

Post by Big Magilla »

Who are your top five candidates for this year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar?

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”