Denzel Washington - Flight
Now that's what I call category fraud.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Golden Globe nominations announced

Post by Big Magilla »

David O. Russell did receive a Golden Globe nomination, albeit for screenplay rather than direction.

I'm not so sure they disliked Hooper as much as they like the five directors they did nominate.

I still think Riva and Trintignant have a better chance with the Academy but wins without SAG and Globe support are going to be tough especially if they don't schmooze the voters, which neither seem inclined to do.

It's possible that SAG and Globe voters wanted to include them both but without a spot for Trintignant they didn't want to give one to Riva.

The big surprise for me was the multiple nominations for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen which wasn't that good, but like Marigold was one of the few adult skewing films to open in the early part of the year, a possible signal to Hollywood to spread the wealth a little more evenly throughout the year, a message Harvey seems to have gotten. He withdrew earlier plans to open Quartet in New York prior to January. It's only playing a qualifying run in L.A.

Nicole Kidman is not as much a surprise here as she was with SAG. This is her umpteenth GG nomination. She apparently learned two to play the schmooze game when she was married to Tom Cruise who also has numerous GG nominations.

By nominating both Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, the latter twice, they've given Smith a travel companion which may mean that she'll attend awards shows for the first time in years. Not only is she approaching Katharine Hepburn's record of 48 years between first and last Oscar nominations with her potential Oscar nod this year, 47 years after her first, she is either approaching or surpassing Hepburn's record of no-shows at awards functions.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous1980 wrote:What have you got against Skyfall?

And Arkin? :P
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:http://www.cinemasight.com/precursor-70th-golden-globe-nominations-2012/

I'm ready to concede that Les Mis is probably out of this. No Tom Hooper.
This is what I was most interested to see, whether Hooper would get nominated or not. I remember Dreamgirls, and its failure to receive a Director's nom sealed its fate as viable Best Picture winner once and for all, and made its nomination status extra-precarious. I think everyone's learned from that, although with the crazy 2012 Best Picture rules it could still nab a Picture nomination. But it's not in the race.

Just to put this out there, I have a friend who runs his own independent publication that went to a critic's screening of Les Miz during the last week of November. Being a theatre nut, he was very excited to go, but for a few weeks he held back on his opinion (at least on Facebook) out of respect for the boycott rules. A week later, he said on his Facebook page "It's super enjoyable but has many flaws" and ended with a sad emoticon. If this ends up being a common opinion of many fans who are just happy to see one of their favorite musicals on the big screen, it's not going to do much crossing over.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What have you got against Skyfall?

I think BAFTA can save Riva (and Wallis).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

And Nicole Kidman appears once more.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Golden Globe nominations announced

Post by OscarGuy »

http://www.cinemasight.com/precursor-70th-golden-globe-nominations-2012/

I'm ready to concede that Les Mis is probably out of this. No Tom Hooper. And no David O. Russell, which means Silver Linings isn't going to be the favorite at the Oscars either. DGA may change our perceptions, but I don't have a lot of hope.

We also need to take seriously the potential that Riva is vulnerable. The Globes had extra space to fill and they didn't fill it with Riva. The Globes are Foreign Press members. Sure, they like their stars, but if any group is going to recognize a foreign nominee, it's them. Marion doesn't cut it since she is now a star in American cinema as well. Even Fernanda Montenegro was nominated for the Golden Globe Awards before her Oscar mention.

Sadly, Arkin is in, but Skyfall's chances have delightfully diminished.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”