Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations

For the films of 2012
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Greg wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Somebody (can't remember who) made a very strong argument that young men in leading roles have a much more difficult time breaking through than young leading women do, and this must be the basis behind people's reluctance to concede Cooper the nomination. I remember Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare and Paul Giamatti (although no young actor) in Sideways, too.
Giamatti was 37 when Sideways was released. Cooper is 37.
:P

Plus, Giamatti gave a brilliant performance, and the strongest one in the film. According to SonicYouth, Cooper is good but no revelation. I am not saying Cooper is vulnerable because of my prejudices against him, but because of the prejudices I perceive in the Academy. The youngest winner of Lead Actor is 29 while the youngest winner of Lead Actress is 21 years. The average age of a Best Actress winner is a decade younger than the average age of a Best Actor winner. As SonicYouth said, young men have a tougher time in the lead category than young women.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sonic Youth wrote:Somebody (can't remember who) made a very strong argument that young men in leading roles have a much more difficult time breaking through than young leading women do, and this must be the basis behind people's reluctance to concede Cooper the nomination. I remember Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare and Paul Giamatti (although no young actor) in Sideways, too.
Giamatti was 37 when Sideways was released. Cooper is 37.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

What I'm getting is that Cooper doesn't have the bona fides that a Hawkes, Phoenix, Jackman or Washington has. Rolotomasi99 said he hasn't seen the movie, and I'm sensing Magilla hasn't either. In this case, watching the movie does make a difference. It's not the most brilliant or startling of performances - it's no revelation - but it's as good as it needs to be for the purpose of the film and more importantly (Lawrence's lead status notwithstanding) it's very much the central character and one of those happy marriages of actor and character. Cooper uses his physicality well to make the role very much his own, something Lawrence doesn't do. If Silver Lining Playbooks is a strong contender, then Bradley Cooper is a strong contender. Rolo compared him to Wahlberg in The Fighter, but that doesn't hold water. Wahlberg's quiet performance was buried by an ensemble of loud standouts. The same does not happen to Cooper in SLP. It's his character that drives the film, whereas Wahlberg and The Fighter was vice-versa.

Somebody (can't remember who) made a very strong argument that young men in leading roles have a much more difficult time breaking through than young leading women do, and this must be the basis behind people's reluctance to concede Cooper the nomination. I remember Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare and Paul Giamatti (although no young actor) in Sideways, too. But many of the competing actors (Phoenix, Jackman, Trintignant, Hopkins) have vulnerabilities of their own. So, perhaps predicting Cooper for a nom is no more wise than predicting most of the others, but assuming the saying 'all things being equal' is true I'll stick with it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Lead I sure hope we can all agree that not only is Nicole Kidman the most unlikely to also be nominated for an Oscar, but that her inclusion here is a big joke by SAG voters.
I thought Kidman was unexpectedly great in The Paperboy. A real send-up of a certain kind of female archetype. I don't think her nomination here is a joke at all; it's just a category that's very much in flux at the moment. I'm disappointed that Amy Adams didn't make the cut. I actually think hers is the strongest performance out of The Master trio, the most grounded in reality. The third act revelations about her character in those final scenes are very well-played.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Lead Actor
Bradley Cooper definitely seems the most vulnerable. Before you ask flipp525, no I have not seen the movie. His performance could be amazing, but much like Mark Wahlberg in THE FIGHTER it seems he is going to have a tough time standing out in his particular film and to break into a crowded field. Who could replace him is uncertain. Hopkins and Phoenix seem the most likely, but Trintignant could be a pleasant surprise. At this late game, I see no other possible contenders breaking into the field.

Lead Actress
Watts definitely seems like the vulnerable one here, simply since her film has had so little attention. Also, Riva seems to have passionate support. I know some say Cotillard and Riva cannot both be nominated for some reason, but foreign actresses are already in the majority in this category. Why would replacing the Australian Watts with the French Riva be such a big deal? As much as I love Quvenzhane Wallis and her film, I just do not think the Academy is going to nominate such a young actress...however, she is still a possibility. I am not aware of any other serious contenders.

Supporting Actor
Obviously Bardem is the most vulnerable here. Since I have yet to see the film, I do not know whether this is a brilliant performance like Heath Ledger in THE DARK KNIGHT or a huge overcooked ham like Al Pacino in DICK TRACY. Then again, the nominee I thought would be here instead is Leo Dicaprio serving up his own hammy villain. I still think he can find his way on here, but it will definitely require some Harvey Weinstein dark magic. If the love for LES MISERABLES is even greater than expected, Eddie Redmayne might find himself nominated. It seems to me that SAG would be more likely than the Academy to nominate Matthew McConaughey, so I hope we can agree his chances are severely diminished at this point. Dwight Henry seems like the only other possibility.

Supporting Actress
I sure hope we can all agree that not only is Nicole Kidman the most unlikely to also be nominated for an Oscar, but that her inclusion here is a big joke by SAG voters. I am not even willing to entertain the idea that the Academy will nominate her. So now the question is who will replace her. Ann Dowd's chances are not dead, but they sure would have been helped by a SAG nomination. Jacki Weaver seems like a possibility, though it seems odd she was the only one of the four main actors in her film not to be nominated. Samantha Barks could also ride a wave of support for her film, but she is most likely going to be overshadowed by Hathaway. Amy Adams always seems like a safe choice in this category, and at this point she will be approaching Thelma Ritter's record for the most nominations in supporting actress with no lead actress nomination. If it had not been for Kidman, Maggie Smith would seem like the most likely to not receive an Oscar nomination. However, her nomination here as well as her film's nomination in ensemble might mean she is loved enough to find herself with another Oscar nomination.

Ensemble
Clearly THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL is the only nominee here that is not going to receive a Best Picture nomination. Films like LIFE OF PI and ZERO DARK THIRTY are not harmed by not showing up in this category. Much like THERE WILL BE BLOOD, these are films dominated by a single performance with all the actors being part of the background rather than an ensemble. I will say that MOONRISE KINGDOM and DJANGO UNCHAINED could have been helped by nominations here. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD was not eligible, though I would not have expected a nomination in this category regardless. THE HOBBIT, THE MASTER, and AMOUR are the only other films in the Best Picture conversation, and I did not expect them to show up in this category anyways.
Last edited by rolotomasi99 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Maggie Smith gets one of three nods - the other doing being for Cast (which also includes Dench) and TV actress for Downton Abbey
FOUR nominations. You're missing Best Ensemble for a TV Drama.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Have you seen Flight, Magilla? Denzel's performance is probably his best since Malcom X. I think he's in. Hugh Jackman is going to be an odd-man-out come nomination day. His citation here feels very Richard Gere-ish.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I still think the Academy is going to nominate Jean-Louis Trintignant over someone - before the precursors I thought it would be Phoenix, but as noted in another thread changed to thinking it would be Washington. I thought Cooper too lightweight against the competition to be a serious contender. Now I'm not so sure. In any event, I think Day-Lewis, Hawkes and Jackman are in for sure.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Since more than one person has suggested this by now, why would 'Cooper in' be a surprise? I thought he was considered one of the surest bets.
I thought the lead actor Oscar nominations would be:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Hugh Jackman
John Hawkes
Denzel Washington
Anthony Hopkins

Joaquin Phoenix was next in line to replace Hopkins, and then maybe Cooper if Phoenix was too toxic. I still think Cooper is vulnerable, but this certainly helps his chances going into the Oscars. Now Hopkins and Phoenix are waiting in the wings.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Since more than one person has suggested this by now, why would 'Cooper in' be a surprise? I thought he was considered one of the surest bets.
It's a surprise to me as I thought he was the least likely of the six most often mentioned.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Since more than one person has suggested this by now, why would 'Cooper in' be a surprise? I thought he was considered one of the surest bets.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Surprises:

Cooper in, Phoenix out - no Trintignant in Best Actor

Riva overlooked - Wattts makes it for Best Actress

Bardem makes the cut in Supporting Actor - no Django Unchained actors named

Nicole Kidman gets an out-of-nowhere nomination for The Paperboy over Amy Adams; no Judi Dench, but Maggie Smith gets one of three nods - the other doing being for Cast (which also includes Dench) and TV actress for Downton Abbey
flipp525
Laureate

Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations

Post by flipp525 »

No Adams, Riva or Phoenix. And, why, hello there, Nicole Kidman.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
BRADLEY COOPER / Pat – “SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK” (The Weinstein Company)
DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Abraham Lincoln – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)
JOHN HAWKES / Mark – “THE SESSIONS” (Fox Searchlight)
HUGH JACKMAN / Jean Valjean – “LES MISÉRABLES” (Universal Pictures)
DENZEL WASHINGTON / Whip Whitaker – “FLIGHT” (Paramount Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
JESSICA CHASTAIN / Maya – “ZERO DARK THIRTY” (Columbia Pictures)
MARION COTILLARD / Stephanie – “RUST AND BONE” (Sony Pictures Classics)
JENNIFER LAWRENCE / Tiffany – “SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK” (The Weinstein Company)
HELEN MIRREN / Alma Reville – “HITCHCOCK” (Fox Searchlight)
NAOMI WATTS / Maria – “THE IMPOSSIBLE” (Summit Entertainment)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
ALAN ARKIN / Lester Siegel – “ARGO” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
JAVIER BARDEM / Silva – “SKYFALL” (Columbia Pictures)
ROBERT DE NIRO/ Pat, Sr. – “SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK” (The Weinstein Company)
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN / Lancaster Dodd – “THE MASTER” (The Weinstein Company)
TOMMY LEE JONES / Thaddeus Stevens – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
SALLY FIELD / Mary Todd Lincoln – “LINCOLN” (Touchstone Pictures)
ANNE HATHAWAY / Fantine – “LES MISÉRABLES” (Universal Pictures)
HELEN HUNT / Cheryl – “THE SESSIONS” (Fox Searchlight)
NICOLE KIDMAN / Charlotte Bless – “THE PAPERBOY” (Millennium Entertainment)
MAGGIE SMITH / Muriel Donnelly – “THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL” (Fox Searchlight)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

ARGO (Warner Bros. Pictures) BEN AFFLECK / Tony Mendez ALAN ARKIN / Lester Siegel KERRY BISHÉ / Kathy Stafford KYLE CHANDLER / Hamilton Jordan RORY COCHRANE / Lee Schatz BRYAN CRANSTON / Jack O’Donnell CHRISTOPHER DENHAM / Mark Lijek TATE DONOVAN / Bob Anders CLEA DUVALL / Cora Lijek VICTOR GARBER / Ken Taylor JOHN GOODMAN / John Chambers SCOOT McNAIRY / Joe Stafford CHRIS MESSINA / Malinov

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (Fox Searchlight) JUDI DENCH / Evelyn Greenslade CELIA IMRIE / Madge Hardcastle BILL NIGHY / Douglas Ainslie DEV PATEL / Sonny Kapoor RONALD PICKUP / Norman Cousins MAGGIE SMITH / Muriel Donnelly TOM WILKINSON / Graham Dashwood PENELOPE WILTON / Jean Ainslie

LES MISÉRABLES (Universal Pictures) ISABELLE ALLEN / Young Cosette SAMANTHA BARKS / Eponine SACHA BARON COHEN / Thénardier HELENA BONHAM CARTER / Madame Thénardier RUSSELL CROWE / Javert ANNE HATHAWAY / Fantine DANIEL HUTTLESTONE / Gavroche HUGH JACKMAN / Jean Valjean EDDIE REDMAYNE / Marius AMANDA SEYFRIED / Cosette AARON TVEIT / Enjolras COLM WILKINSON / Bishop

LINCOLN (Touchstone Pictures) DANIEL DAY-LEWIS / Abraham Lincoln SALLY FIELD / Mary Todd Lincoln JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT / Robert Todd Lincoln HAL HOLBROOK / Preston Blair TOMMY LEE JONES / Thaddeus Stevens JAMES SPADER / W.N. Bilbo DAVID STRATHAIRN / William Seward

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (The Weinstein Company) BRADLEY COOPER / Pat ROBERT DE NIRO / Pat, Sr. ANUPAM KHER / Dr. Cliff Patel JENNIFER LAWRENCE / Tiffany CHRIS TUCKER / Danny JACKI WEAVER / Dolores

DRAMA ENSEMBLE
Homeland
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Mad Men

DRAMA ACTRESS
Claire Danes, Homeland
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story Asylum

DRAMA ACTOR
Damian Lewis, Homeland
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom

COMEDY ENSEMBLE
Modern Family
30 Rock
Nurse Jackie
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
The Office

COMEDY ACTRESS
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Betty White, Hot, CLeveland

COMEDY ACTOR
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Louis CK, Louie
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Last edited by flipp525 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”