Post by Sabin »

Rachel Weisz, The Deep Blue Sea

Wow.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 2012 New York Film Critics Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

Last year, I remember the NYFCC voting goin well past my personal lunch time, which will be voer at 1 central...looks like that will happen again this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Best Foreign Language Film: Amour, directed by Michael Haneke
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Is it usual for this award's announcements to take so long?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

FilmFan720 wrote:Can I safely predict that Anne Hathaway doesn't win any of the "big four" critics prizes?
I will go even farther than that and say LES MISERABLES does not win a single award from the "big four" critics prizes. Maybe it is simply a rejection of the film itself, or maybe it is residual animus toward Hooper for THE KING'S SPEECH making them look impotent in influencing the Oscars. Either way, how the critics react to LES MISERABLES will be completely inconsequential to its Oscar chances.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Supporting actor: Matthew McConaughey for both Bernie and Magic Mike

I'm going to have to break down and see those movies
This is a great choice—McConaughey has had a real banner year. His opening monologue as the emcee in Magic Mike almost has a Joel Grey/Cabaret feel to it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

There are still 7 or 8 awards to go. And, speaking for myself, I've had enough. It's so slow this year. Later...
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Best Animated Film - Frankenweenie

They just threw up their hands on that one.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Pretty odd... Been planning to catch Magic Mike tonight with my wife, without knowing McConaughey has received any serious consideration. Early this morning, Joseph mentioned him in his predictions for this award and I was like "seriously?".
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:Supporting actor: Matthew McConaughey for both Bernie and Magic Mike

Bernie is very entertaining...my favorite non-fiction film I've seen this year, although that is a limited number!

Is McConaughey possibly a contender for awards consideration this year (a la Melissa McCarthy), or is this another Steve Martin/Cameron Diaz NYFCC comedy pick that goes nowhere?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Supporting actor: Matthew McConaughey for both Bernie and Magic Mike

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:Can I safely predict that Anne Hathaway doesn't win any of the "big four" critics prizes?
If you're including NBR in that, she could win there. But, given the Jennifer Hudson precedent, this seemed her best shot among the majors (unless the populist coalition in LA scores a rare triumph over the arty coaliton).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From the length of time it took to name Sally Field it must have been quite the battle.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Can I safely predict that Anne Hathaway doesn't win any of the "big four" critics prizes?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Anne Hathaway crossed my mind for five seconds when I thought "Maybe they will pick her like Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls?" And then I thought "Wait, is there any reason that would happen?"

Gleiberman is all about Sally Field in that movie. If enough people are too, it makes sense. Not a very good choice, IMO, because her scenes make up the part of Lincoln that I don't find very good.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”