Golden Globe Predictions

For the films of 2012
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Golden Globe Predictions

Post by OscarGuy »

FYI: Ewan McGregor is being promoted as Supporting Actor and according to people who've seen the film, it's appropriate category placement.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

BEST PICTURE - DRAMA
Argo
Life of Pi
*Lincoln
The Impossible
Zero Dark Thirty

BEST PICTURE - MUSICAL/COMEDY
Hitchcock
*Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Ted

ACTOR - DRAMA
Ben Affleck, Argo
*Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Jean-Louis Trintinigant, Amour
Denzel Washington, Flight

ACTRESS - DRAMA
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard, Rust & Bone
Keira Knightley, Anna Karenina
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
*Naomi Watts, The Impossible

ACTOR - MUSICAL/COMEDY
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Anthony Hopkins, Hitchcock
*Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Tommy Lee Jones, Hope Springs
Mark Whalberg, Ted

ACTRESS - MUSICAL/COMEDY
Judi Dench, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
*Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Meryl Streep, Hope Springs
Barbra Streisand, The Guilt Trip

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
*Eddie Redmayne, Les Miserables

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Samantha Barks, Les Miserables
*Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook

DIRECTOR
Argo
*Lincoln
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

SCREENPLAY
Argo
Life Of Pi
*Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook

SCORE
*Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Last edited by rolotomasi99 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I have a friend who has just seen Silver Linings Playbook and says that he'd be stunned if it wasn't nominated for Musical or Comedy.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

anonymous wrote
BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Yeah, Beasts is the kind of movie the Academy will honor. Not the Foreign Press. Possibly Anna Karenina or one of the big unseens: Django Unchained or Zero Dark Thirty. Or...
anonymous wrote
BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Hitchcock
Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Seven Psychopaths
Silver Linings Playbook
Here is the big question. Will they push Silver Linings Playbook as a Drama or a Comedy? I'm going to bet that it gets pushed as a Drama. They're going to push its importance and uplift just like Up in the Air. While I personally think pushing Up in the Air as a Drama was a big mistake b/c it could have easily won the Globe for Best Musical or Comedic Film over The Hangover (not like that would have really mattered come Oscar night), pitting Silver Linings Playbook against Les Miserables is like suicide. Les Miserables is going to win this award. Put Silver Linings Playbook in Drama and drop The Exotic Marigold Hotel in its place. Maybe To Rome with Love instead of Hitchcock.
anonymous wrote
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Jean-Louis Trintinigant, Amour
Hoffman is supporting. No doubt in my mind. Don't think Trintinigant is getting in either. Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings (unless it's pushed for Comedy which I don't think will happen) and Denzel Washington for Flight.
anonymous wrote
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
No to Riva. Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. And if Cotillard or Watts doesn't make it in? How about Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games? She could grab two nominations in the same category.
anonymous wrote
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Russell Crowe, Les Miserables
Anthony Hopkins, Hitchcock
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Obviously, we haven't seen Les Miserables but I'm going to bet that Russell Crowe gets in for Supporting. I like Hopkins, Jackman, and Jones. How about Bill Murray for Hyde Park on Hudson? Sounds like something they'd dully honor.
anonymous wrote
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Leslie Mann, This Is 40
Already spoken my peace on Silver Linings. In her place, how about Amanda Seyfriend for Les Miserables? How about Maggie Smith for Quartet or Laura Linney for Hyde Park on Hudson or Helen Mirren for Hitchcock instead of Leslie Mann for This is 40?
anonymous wrote
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, The Silver Linings Playbook
David Strathairn, Lincoln
Christopher Walken, Seven Psychopaths
I think Russell Crowe is getting shoehorned in this category. He's in instead of Arkin. Philip Seymour Hoffman is definitely in this category. He's here instead of Walken. I feel like I read something that said that the true standouts of Lincoln (from an early screening) are Hal Holbrook and Tommy Lee Jones. With Tommy Lee Jones playing Thaddeus Stevens, I think that's the stuff that's going to connect with voters. I'd replace Strathairn with Jones. So that's Crowe, De Niro, DiCaprio, Hoffman, Jones. If there's six? How about McConaughey for Magic Mike?
anonymous wrote
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE
Amy Adams, The Master
Samantha Barks, Les Miserables
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Scarlett Johansson, Hitchcock
Already a weak lineup. I've seen Adams in The Master. She won't win but she could grab a nomination. Smith is probably in. If Hitchcock goes over well, Johansson could stay in. It's strange that everybody is predicting Hathaway for a win when we haven't seen her performance but everybody has seen Barks' performance and nobody is predicting the same.
anonymous wrote
BEST DIRECTOR FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Ben Affleck, Argo
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Oooh! Predicting a Spielberg snub! I like it. Still hedging my bets. He's in replacing Lee.
anonymous wrote
BEST SCREENPLAY FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Lucy Alibar & Behn Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Chris Terrio, Argo
I see Lincoln instead of Beasts. I see Les Miserables instead of Moonrise Kingdom.
anonymous wrote
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Alexandre Desplat, Argo
Don Romer & Behn Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
John Williams, Lincoln
Jonny Greenwood, The Master
Alexandre Desplat, Moonrise Kingdom
I love Desplat's scoring of Moonrise Kingdom. Not confident it's going to come close to happening. James Newton Howard for The Hunger Games, Dario Marianelli for Anna Karenina, or Howard Shore for The Hobbit.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:If you have Judi Dench on your list what about Maggie Smith for Quartet?
It's still a big if but the Globes could nominate Dame Maggie for three awards this year - Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for Quartet; Best Supporting Actress for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Best Actress in a TV Series Drama for Downton Abbey expanding her total haul to twelve. SAG could follow and BAFTA and Oscar could nominate her twice over as well. It would expand her Oscar nominations to eight and make her the oldest double acting nominee ever at 78.
Dame Maggie had a terribly underwritten part in Exotic.....Hotel and she won't get a mention for it.

What about Jack Black in Bernie?
Agree with Jack Black in Bernie, but I would charactize Maggie Smith's role in Exotic as deceptively small rather than underwritten. Quartet[/i is a bigger if].
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:If you have Judi Dench on your list what about Maggie Smith for Quartet?
It's still a big if but the Globes could nominate Dame Maggie for three awards this year - Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for Quartet; Best Supporting Actress for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Best Actress in a TV Series Drama for Downton Abbey expanding her total haul to twelve. SAG could follow and BAFTA and Oscar could nominate her twice over as well. It would expand her Oscar nominations to eight and make her the oldest double acting nominee ever at 78.
Dame Maggie had a terribly underwritten part in Exotic.....Hotel and she won't get a mention for it.

What about Jack Black in Bernie?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'd also reconsider Beasts of the Southern Wild. Yes, the American critics love it but the Hollywood Foreign Press are a different kettle of fish and I don't think they will embrace the film which as much enthusiasm as high brow critics have. The film seems to resonate more with Americans then International audiences which in some ways is a reflection of the HWP. Beasts is now beginning it's international release and it's performance at the box office outside the U.S. could give some indication to it's nomination prospects. For example it's performing poorly in Australia where it opened 2 weeks ago in limited release (25 screens nationally), though with only a 12% drop off in it's second week. However it started on very poor screen averages for a limited release. That no one I know is even talking about the film isn't a good sign of it's future prospects in Australia this coming week. Though to be fair I should mention everything has under performed at the box office in the last two weeks, must be all the nice weather we have having.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

How about Mark Wahlberg in Ted. It's been a monster hit worldwide and received respectable enough reviews, certainly more so then Hope Springs.

I know I've been banging the drum for The Sessions for sometime now but this will go down big with the Globes (and SAG, not to mention the critics and Academy) and I consider it pretty much a sure bet for Picture, Director, Actor, Actress (Helen Hunt is lead, I know everyone on the internet is saying she is supporting but they haven't even seen the ....ing film), Supporting Actor (William H. Macy) and Screenplay.

Also I don't know when the Weinsteins are releasing The Sapphires but if it a 2012 release it could be a big player in the Comedy/Musical categories. When Harvey acquired the film at Cannes in May he described it as this years The Artist, though the films are worlds apart. Of course what he probably meant was that they are both crowd pleasers. The film would be a likely contender for Film, Lead Actress (Deborah Mailman) and Chris O'Dowd (I'd place him in lead but a case could be made for supporting). The film had the audience and critics in Cannes in raptures. It's the sort of film that the Hollywood Foreign Press would love.

I know the Globes LOVE Meryl but surely even they will draw a line with what must be the dullest film of the year, Hope Springs.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

If you have Judi Dench on your list what about Maggie Smith for Quartet?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Golden Globe Predictions

Post by anonymous1980 »

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Magic Mike
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook

BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Jean-Louis Trintignant, Amour
Denzel Washington, Flight

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Jack Black, Bernie
Russell Crowe, Les Miserables
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL or COMEDY
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Leslie Mann, This Is 40

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Matthew McConaughey, Magic Mike

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

BEST DIRECTOR FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Ben Affleck, Argo
Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty

BEST SCREENPLAY FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Chris Terrio, Argo

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A MOTION PICTURE
Howard Shore, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Mychael Danna, Life of Pi
John Williams, Lincoln
Alexandre Desplat, Moonrise Kingdom
Alexandre Desplat, Zero Dark Thirty

BEST ORIGINAL SONG FOR A MOTION PICTURE
"Abraham's Daughter", The Hunger Games
"From Here to the Moon and Back", Joyful Noise
"Skyfall", Skyfall
"Strange Love", Frankenweenie
"Suddenly", Les Miserables

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Rise of the Guardians
Wreck-It Ralph

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Amour (Austria)
Beyond the Hills (Romania)
The Intouchables (France)
A Royal Affair (Denmark)
Rust & Bone (France)
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “85th Predictions and Precursors”