A sneak peak at three Oscar ballots

For the films of 2012
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: A sneak peak at three Oscar ballots

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know, it sounds like someone younger to me. He seems to be in awe of Spielberg. Older directors don't have as much reverence for Spielberg as younger directors do. The cracks about Riva's age don't sound like someone who is almost as old as she is.

The fawning over Roger Deakins makes me think it could be Joel Coen whose films Deakins is most associated with or Taylor Hackford, with whom Deakins has also worked.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Here's another warts-and-all guy walking you through filling out his ballot. Half the stuff he says is batshit insane, but he shows sporadic insight, as well.
Speculation is that the voter's William Friedkin.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Everyone got screener DVDs of all the shorts, and can vote in any of those categories without proving they watched them...just like every other award.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Here's the problem. AFAIK, you cannot vote in the short film categories unless you've seen all of the nominees. And I believe submitting an improperly completed ballot can negate the entire ballot. Not sure if that's true anymore, though.
I believe the rules were changed to allow everyone to vote in these categories this year. Since these things are now widely available on YouTube and the like they no longer require special screenings at which attnedence records could verify that those voting in the categories had in fact attended those screenings.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I wish I had read those lists before doing my personal awards picks. I had no idea so many (supposedly) voters liked Silver Linings Playbook as much as I did. However, the female quoted seemed really clueless: Lincoln was boring? I guess to some people any period history film is boring. I had such a hard time with my own list, because I liked a lot of movies this year, but is it really possible for Silver Linings Playbook to take Best Picture over Argo at this point?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's the problem. AFAIK, you cannot vote in the short film categories unless you've seen all of the nominees. And I believe submitting an improperly completed ballot can negate the entire ballot. Not sure if that's true anymore, though.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Is Judd Apatow an Academy member? That director sure sounds like him.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I do have to admit that I laughed when he said that there were songs Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe should have killed and that they did literally kill them.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Incidentally, a coworker of mine was filling out her spouse's Oscar ballot yesterday, explaining the votes she made and why, and I was flabbergasted by the votes she cast without seeing certain movies. It really does make you realize that people in the Academy don't even remotely take this thing as seriously as we all do here.
Which is why I love Sabin's formulation: "Oscar voters are always disappointing Oscar fans".

And I agree: this guy, like it or not, has his reasons for why he's voting for things (except for the "didn't see them" shorts). Sometimes he matches where i end up, sometimes he's miles off, but I know he's given it all professional consideration.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Here's another warts-and-all guy walking you through filling out his ballot. Half the stuff he says is batshit insane, but he shows sporadic insight, as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o ... lot-422546
I really want to know who that director is -- he seems CRAZY. ("Emmanuelle Riva may not even live through Oscar night, so...")

But, more than any of these that have been posted, this guy at least seems to have put far more thought into voting than "He WAS Lincoln."

Still, I can't actually wrap my head around people voting in categories where they haven't seen any nominees, where they just vote for what they "heard" was good.

Incidentally, a coworker of mine was filling out her spouse's Oscar ballot yesterday, explaining the votes she made and why, and I was flabbergasted by the votes she cast without seeing certain movies. It really does make you realize that people in the Academy don't even remotely take this thing as seriously as we all do here.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Here's another warts-and-all guy walking you through filling out his ballot. Half the stuff he says is batshit insane, but he shows sporadic insight, as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o ... lot-422546
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One of the responses to the Awards Circuit entries was this:

"I read an OSCAR book where the author, a film historian, stated the people who vote for the OSCARS are perhaps the people with the least knowledge of what makes a good movie. Reading your captions above I am thinking he was dead on right."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm not convinced Lawrence will beat Emmanuel Riva, which is to say I'm not convinced Silver Linings Playbook is going to win anything. I've seen these ads and if Harvey worked it this hard between Thanksgiving and Christmas (which is to say if he recognized that SLP was his baby and not Django), I think it would be more than hype at this point. The race would legitimately be between Argo and Silver Linings Playbook, rather than Argo and arguments against Argo winning.

(Fingers crossed that a lot of you are angry on Oscar night and I end up happier than I've been since the first broadcast I watched when my horse in the race won.)
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The first set didn't seem as imbecilic as this set. Who the hell ARE these people? Some of the worst reasons I've read. And SLP is getting the Harvey treatment...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote: Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

“He IS Lincoln.”
These people drive me crazy.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”