Categories One-by-One: Makeup and Hairstyling

For the films of 2012
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Makeup and Hairstyling

Post by dws1982 »

Lincoln would've gotten my vote in a walk if it had been here. Wasn't impressed with Hitchcock's work. It's a nomination based on the Hitchcock character, and that work isn't very impressive, to be honest; the makeup for all of the other characters if very indifferently done. The Les Miserables work is well done overall, but like BJ says, there's not one single makeup effect that really jumps out. It's the type of makeup job that the Makeup branch can be impressed with, but the rest of the Academy will probably look elsewhere when they vote for the winner. There's a first time for everything, but there's really no precedent for a makeup job like Les Miserables winning this award.

For most Oscar voters Best Makeup = Most Makeup = The Hobbit. There's definitely a lot very noticeable makeup on display here, so I think it'll win. The more subtle makeup jobs don't usually beat out the "bigger" jobs. (Unless the "bigger" job is from a movie so universally reviled that it more or less comes with a "Don't Vote Here" sign attached.) I think The Hobbit has a definite leg up here. With Lincoln not nominated, I'm okay with it winning.
Oscar Guy wrote:The orcs have nothing to do with this nomination and what the nomination is for is barely in the original trilogy.
A lot of voters may think the Orcs have something to do with this nomination. Which probably helps the movie's chances in this category, if we're being honest.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the people who poo-poo The Hobbit are also entirely too dismissive of its chances.

The orcs have nothing to do with this nomination and what the nomination is for is barely in the original trilogy. I challenge you to look at all thirteen dwarves and not be amazed at the detailed work of bears and hair, all twisted and braided, distinctly captured for each individual, no two looking the same. To dismiss it as only a nomination for creature effects is laughable.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lincoln was robbed. It not only had the most makeup, it had the most authentic period makeup - all those whiskers!

The nomination for Hitchcock is a bit silly. Anthony Hopkins doesn't so much look like Hitchcock as he does a wax figure of the great director. The Hobbit is more of the same over-rewarded LOTR stuff.

With Lincoln out of the race, the meticulous makeup applied to the cast of Les Miz is the most impressive and would get my vote. Some of you may have noticed a sidebar on the page Mister Tee directed us to for his wife's tribute. Click on Aaron Tveit's interview. He gives an amusing account of the wig he wore in the film.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Categories One-by-One: Makeup and Hairstyling

Post by The Original BJ »

Figured we might as well start up these for the season!

Of those shortlisted, I was probably most disappointed about the exclusion of Lincoln, which had tons of great wigs, facial hair, and character work (if you look at pictures of some of these historical figures, it's uncanny how much the actors in the film were made to resemble them). And all of it looks completely realistic -- probably why it didn't nab the nomination. Among showier efforts, I have to admit I was impressed by the way the makeup transformed the cast of Cloud Atlas (I didn't know who some of those characters were until the end credits), as well as the many off-the-wall disguises in Holy Motors.

The trio of films actually nominated represents the three different types of makeup achievement most commonly recognized in this category: transformation of an actor, general period work, and creature effects.

Hitchcock's nomination obviously stems from the work done to turn Anthony Hopkins into the master of suspense. Yes, there's some overall '50's Hollywood glamor throughout, but I think voters will be evaluating this nomination almost entirely based on the creation of Hitchcock. It's solid work, and certainly it never looks phony at any point. But nor does it reach La Vie en Rose level, where the physical transformation is so elaborate that it's almost difficult to believe that the same actor is still there under all that makeup. This factor, and the fact that the movie was so tepidly received both critically and commercially, make me rate it least likely to win the prize.

Les Mis enters the race the most popular (in Oscar terms) nominee overall, and there's definitely a lot of makeup throughout -- dirty-looking faces and ratty hair for the poor, but also well-coiffed looks for the wealthier characters, and some crazier touches on the Thénardiers (which I honestly found pretty silly, but to each his own). If there's enthusiasm for the movie -- and eight nominations isn't NOTHING -- it could possibly win here. But there's never any one makeup moment that jumps out as being especially prize-worthy, and the last time subtler period detail trumped outlandish effects was Frida a decade ago.

But The Hobbit doesn't strike me as having it in the bag either, simply because there's a general aura of "been-there-done-that" surrounding this movie. I could definitely see voters feeling like The Lord of the Rings has been amply rewarded, and more orcs may not be a fresh enough achievement to grant Middle Earth yet another makeup trophy. But...freakish looking creatures go a long way in this category, and there are plenty of them on display here, so I guess right now I'm leaning toward predicting The Hobbit. But I'd definitely be interested to hear other folks' opinions.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”