2012 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2012
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: 2012 Oscar Nominations

Post by FilmFan720 »

A lot is being made of Best Supporting Actor being all previous winners (four of them in Supporting Actor, the fifth a Hollywood character actor with a rare Lead win), but Supporting Actress is made up of all previous nominees!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Bog wrote:\

Supporting actor has officially devolved into a category that's no longer meant for a Jason Clarke or Dwight Henry. I'm not saying by any means either was better than a PSH or TLJ, but come on...these 5 choices are just silly. And to think on the lists of possible nominees in this category for 2012 are Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks and Russell Crowe.
The category is "Best Supporting Actor" not "Best Newcomer." These are the five they thought represented the best. It may be unusual for them not to pick at least one new actor, but it is not a requirement.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'm about as ecstatic as it gets for the Riva and Haneke nominations...seems like a whole different group of people than the ones who chose the supporting actor category...announced just a few seconds prior.

Disappointed the most for Affleck...whose directorial resume now consists PURELY of Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and Argo, but Gigli, Jersey Girl, Reindeer Games type stuff can never be erased from the memories of Oscar society. I wish he had been nominated, but did he do a better job than these 5? Subjectively, no. Objectively, no. His time will come...he will be a multi nominated and hopefully with the current trajectory a winner in the director category. So I'm accepting his "snub". Interesting that at points this year Moonrise Kingdom and Argo were considered heavy front runners and "sure things" in the way early year stuff has survived in recent years, possibly even to win...beaten badly by December/January assumed Oscar films.

Supporting actor has officially devolved into a category that's no longer meant for a Jason Clarke or Dwight Henry. I'm not saying by any means either was better than a PSH or TLJ, but come on...these 5 choices are just silly. And to think on the lists of possible nominees in this category for 2012 are Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks and Russell Crowe.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

flipp525 wrote: What does Jacki Weaver do exactly in SLP? I haven't seen it yet. First film since Reds in '81 to get nods in all four acting categories.
She's sweet, but it really is the definition of a thankless role, except she's nominated so it's really not all that thankless, is it? I'd have sooner nominated John Ortiz but of course that's a different category.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

By my count, Steven Spielberg's films have now amassed 121 Oscar Nominations, 1 short of William Wyler's record!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

criddic3 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:For those who know all the Oscar trivia, how many times has the DGA and Oscar Director category diverged this much?
Considering all 5 directors' films are also up for Picture, who can say they would not have made the list in a year of 5? There have been years where the director list had two nominees not nominated in Pic, like those for 1995 and 2001.

EDIT: I really need to read these posts more carefully sometimes. You were comparing DGA and Oscar, not commenting on divergent categories. :roll:
Yeah, I know usually there is the odd-film-out in the Directing, and like you said sometimes two films nominated for Directing but not Best Picture. I think you have to go back all the way to the films of 1966 where there were three films nominated for Directing but not Best Picture. However, that was when the DGA nominated 10 films so four of their nominees went on to Oscar nominations.

It just seems odd for the majority of the DGA nominees to receive an Oscar nomination (though all five did receive Best Picture nominations). I am not sure if the DGA nominations had come out before the Oscar ballots were due we would see different results. I am just hoping ARGO or ZERO DARK THIRTY win the DGA award as a fuck you to the Academy...though it is more likely the LINCOLN sweep is about to begin. :(

I really like LINCOLN, but I was hoping after two milquetoast Best Picture winners in a row, we could have something more daring. At least LINCOLN is a superior film in every way to the past two winners.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Considering all 5 directors' films are also up for Picture, who can say they would not have made the list in a year of 5?
I might, but probably not till the weekend. Looking forward to analyzing it. It's become my favorite subject.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It's taken me 90 minutes to write this because I have to keep getting up and walking away from my computer. Sorry if I've said anything redundant.

Critics matter! Critics matter! (Except maybe when it comes to Best Director...)

I said in my predictions 'No Guts No Glory''. You know what would have really taken guts? Sticking to some of my gut predictions rather than following the precursors too closely. I did think Django would stumble, and it did. But what to do with Silver Linings was my biggest struggle. Very reluctantly, I didn't predict De Niro, or Russell or put Silver Linings in the top five for Best Picture (replacing it with Les Miz instead), knowing, just knowing, it was going to make it. Fuck you, DGA, and your clever subterfuge! Of course, there's no was of proving Silver Linings would have made Best Picture, but the evidence is very strong. Even though it doesn't have the most nominations, it's the film most represented in the 'major' categories... including Editing, the most major of the 'minor' categories. It's probably the biggest winner of the day.

I know it's not nice to kick a movie when its down, and it's doubly un-nice to do so when you haven't seen it, but if you can be happy for a film or performance that you haven't seen, then why not? So I can bite my tongue no longer... I am pleased to bursting that Les Miz stumbled. I haven't seen it, I don't want to see it, and I know some people here love it and I'm sorry if I'm picking at a sore nerve. And it's intellectually dishonest to hate something you haven't seen. But it can't be helped. This was my Crash. I hate the musical, I think it epitomizes everything that's gone wrong with contemporary musicals, it's a regression rather than an advance, and the music itself is vapid and pandering. You know how operettas were supposed to be a more palatable, populist fascimilie of opera? Well, whatever Les Miz is is a more palatable, populist fascimilie of operetta, and wasn't the point of the musical to break away from operatic traditions? Why are we going back? But, I was willing to be convinced that an excellent case could be made for a Les Miz film adaptation. If a great film could be made, I'd be happy to go along with it. Objectively, this wasn't case, not only because of the unenthused reviews but also (and yes, I know that anecdotes are not sufficient evidence) my friends. Thanks to Facebook, you get a lot of friends and friend's friends these days, and most of mine are theater people. The majority opinion was "good, but not the transcendent experience I was expecting a filmed Les Miz to be". So I was glad to not feel obligated to see it, and gladder still that the depths of love and affection for the musical was not stronger than the judgement of the film itself. Except for Jackman and the original song, some of the most criticized aspects (cinematography, editing) were left out, and the tech awards it did receive seem reasonable enough. Seven nominations is a very respectable number for any film, but - to use a football analogy - ultimately it's an unconverted fourth down. I promise I will no longer bash the film, and I'll even be happy for Anne Hathaway if she wins.

As long as I'm being mean, I'm also glad, although as stunned as everyone else, for Affleck's nomination. In it's way, Argo and Affleck may have had the best precursor run of all the films and all the directors. It's very decent, and he should get credit for making such a subject very watchable and audience-friendly (though much of it probably should also be credited - or rather, blamed - on the screenplay). But it seemed to me everyone was generously grading on a learning curve. If he thought all those empty camera-swooping gestures heightened the tension, it had the opposite effect and he seemed have trouble distinguishing between good performances and bad ones... and there were quite a few of the latter. Which is why Arkin's crackerjack comic performance is a relief from the somnolent solemnity... both in the movie and in the film's list of noms. That said, I am glad to see Affleck challenging himself as a filmmaker, and I have faith he will get better and that he'll be a nominated filmmaker one day.

I said about Life of Pi when the reviews came out "There's our winner"... then backed off when Lincoln peaked. I have no strength of conviction about anything, do I? "Lincoln" may still win, but... maybe not? Just maybe?

If I remember Uri's theory correctly about children and nominations, it's that they can't give an honest performance because they're too young to do so and whatever performance they give is just a reflection of the directors wishes. (I apologize if I misremembered... he may have explained it as I was writing this) I've worked with enough children in theatrical productions to know that generally that's true. But there are also some very special, confident and insightful children - not many, but probably more than you'd think - who really are gifted, and are not merely precocious robots, but do have a natural ability that true actors possess, and who am I to say which ones are giving honest performances and which aren't? That said... six years old really is too young, and I'm not sure how I feel about the nomination. And I'm sad that Dwight Henry - who is not only excellent, but of majority age - was shut out.

What else? Hmmmm.... Very happy to see Joachim Phoenix's magnificent performance nominated, especially if those other two had to be nominated as well. (Can of worms duly opened...)
Shocked that the French entry isn't nominated for Foreign Film.
Okay, wow... that IS a huge surprise...

Now I can study the noms in detail... later...
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:I've gotten past getting pissed off with the Academy. I'm just celebrating the positive.
I know. I accept that there will be snubs every year, but these just seem shocking.

For those who know all the Oscar trivia, how many times has the DGA and Oscar Director category diverged this much?
Considering all 5 directors' films are also up for Picture, who can say they would not have made the list in a year of 5? There have been years where the director list had two nominees not nominated in Pic, like those for 1995 and 2001.

EDIT: I really need to read these posts more carefully sometimes. You were comparing DGA and Oscar, not commenting on divergent categories. :roll:
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
I am very happy for Emmanuelle Riva and Quvenzhané Wallis, but either was supposed to replace Naomi Watts not Marion Cotillard.
Yes, Marion Cotillard's is probably - from those I have seen - the best non-nominated performance of this year. But I felt that it had to be either her or Riva - two foreign language performances these days would be too much, and the Academy probably felt that they had already given too much to France in these last few years. I must also say that they must be appreciated for having honored an actress - Riva - who, as far as I know, hasn't done any campaign at all - I don't think she's even been to the US to promote her movie. (It's possible that she hasn't been in the US for the past few decades actually - at least professionally). This is quite rare today. Hers is really a nomination based only on the performance.

The opposite can be said of Naomi Watts and all these actors noisily extolling her thespian abilities in The Impossible (only for this reason some of these actors should give their Oscars back). I was actually afraid that all those proclaims could lead the movie itself to other nominations, but thank God this hasn't happened. I'd say that a win for her is now quite difficult.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Amour AND Silver Linings Playbook?

This is probably the happier I've been Oscar morning in memory.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous1980 wrote:I've gotten past getting pissed off with the Academy. I'm just celebrating the positive.
I know. I accept that there will be snubs every year, but these just seem shocking.

For those who know all the Oscar trivia, how many times has the DGA and Oscar Director category diverged this much?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

criddic3 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
I will say I get bragging rights for know they would nominate MIRROR MIRROR for Costumes. Maybe other folks around here had on their predictions, but I did not notice.
I predicted this, too.
Good! My prediction was based on the death factor as much as quality. Eiko Ishioka designed some of the most gorgeous and inventive costumes in the history of cinema for DRACULA. Her work in THE CELL, THE FALL, and IMMORTALS was better than in MIRROR MIRROR, but I am just happy she was nominated. I would love to see her earn another win, but I am pretty sure the Oscar is going to either LINCOLN or maybe LES MISERABLES.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

first very quick note: Dave Karger correctly predicted Maggie Gyllenhaal, Von Sydow and now Jackie Weaver for nominations with no precursor support. That's quite impressive.

more thoughts later...
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've gotten past getting pissed off with the Academy. I'm just celebrating the positive.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”