2012 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2012
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: 2012 Oscar Nominations

Post by FilmFan720 »

Of course, right now this looks like everything is in favor of Lincoln...Argo and Zero Dark Thirty fail in Director.

Are we underestimating Silver Linings Playbook, though? It is the first film in over thirty years to get Acting nods in all 4 categories (including a surprise Jacki Weaver), it managed an EDITING nomination and David O. Russell snuck in over Bigelow and Affleck for Director. Could we have a dark horse here?

And that nomination ceremony was annoying for many reasons, especially the random announcement of nominees.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

- Amour comes on strong, but Life of Pi roars.
- No Kathryn Bigelow nod takes 0D30 out of contention and throws all the favor behind Lincoln.
- rare feat by Silver Linings Playbook to have four nominees.
- Dark Knight Rises SHUT OUT now can everyone shut up about it.
- Skyfall has the best Bond showing ever?
- simultaneous youngest / oldest Actress nominees in one year.
- good showing by The Master's performers even as it gets nothing else.

Overall, this seems like it will be a snoozer of a show.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:And you guys can now shut the fuck up about needing surprises because there were too many and most of them bad.
Amour got nominated for Best Picture and Best Director. Any unpleasant suprises is off-set by that fact. *happy dance*
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

That nominations ceremony was insufferable.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

No Bigelow or Affleck in Director? Um, wow.

I went 5/5 in Best Actress and I think this is a great, record-setting lineup. I can't believe that Best Supporting Actor is entirely composed of past winners. No risks taken at all in choosing those.

Over the moon for the three The Master actors. Incredibly well-deserved nominations.

Hugh Jackman was carried by his film.

What does Jacki Weaver do exactly in SLP? I haven't seen it yet. First film since Reds in '81 to get nods in all four acting categories.

Seth McFarland and Emma Stone acted like complete assholes during the announcement. Their (obviously pre-planned) jokes and banter fell flat and bordered on obnoxious. If this is any preview of his hosting gig, just ugh.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And you guys can now shut the fuck up about needing surprises because there were too many and most of them bad.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

2012 Oscar Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”