2012 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2012
flipp525
Laureate

Re: 2012 Oscar Nominations

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:I am really sad Ann Dowd's self-campaigning did not work out. Not only is it terrible she spent all that money, but the Academy fucked up by not recognizing her performance.
This was my thought, too, as soon as the announcements were read. I really thought Ann Dowd might show up here. Her performance is certainly one of the best of the year. It really sucks that her family is basically now in the hole for all that money. I wonder how close (if at all) she came to a nomination. Could've been a game-changer for her entire career and family.

Remember Christoph Waltz's obnxious series of speeches in 2009? At least we won't have to hear any of them this year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
I will say I get bragging rights for know they would nominate MIRROR MIRROR for Costumes. Maybe other folks around here had on their predictions, but I did not notice. (
I predicted this, too.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I consider myself a peaceful person. I believe war, capital punishment, and torture are all wrong...however, certain members of the Academy, and even certain whole branches, need to have horrible things happen to them. I mean really, really horrible things. :evil:

I always experience a certain amount of pain every year with the Oscar nominations, but this year might be the worst. How could it have gone so spectacularly wrong? I like surprises as much as the next person, but they should be pleasant surprises! AMOUR replacing LES MISERABLES in the Director branch was a pleasant surprise I was looking forward to. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK and BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (one of my favorite films of the year) replacing ARGO and ZERO DARK THIRTY is worthy of something...well, like you would see happening in ARGO or ZERO DARK THIRTY.

I am very happy for Emmanuelle Riva and Quvenzhané Wallis, but either was supposed to replace Naomi Watts not Marion Cotillard.

I am really sad Ann Dowd's self-campaigning did not work out. Not only is it terrible she spent all that money, but the Academy fucked up by not recognizing her performance.

There were two great Supporting Actor performances in DJANGO UNCHAINED, and neither one of them was Christoph Waltz.

LINCOLN leads the nominations, but is not nominated in a category it deserves to win: Make-up.

ZERO DARK THIRTY not being nominated for Cinematography and Sound Mixing.

SKYFALL receiving more nominations than any other James Bond film, but not being nominated for Editing.

I will say I get bragging rights for know they would nominate MIRROR MIRROR for Costumes. Maybe other folks around here had on their predictions, but I did not notice. When I saw Colleen Atwood had done the costumes for SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN I had a suspicion she might be nominated.

There is so much more I want to say, but I think I need to go look at videos of adorable puppies right now to keep from punching my computer screen. :(
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Also, interesting fact...All 5 Best Director nominees are also nominated for another award this year - Haneke, Zeitlin and Russell for Writing, Lee and Spielberg for Producing.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

We have 17 of last year's nominees back this year...

Greg P. Russell takes the cake, back for the fourth year in a row!

Erik Aadahl - 2011 Sound Editing (Transformers), 2012 Sound Editing (Argo)
Rick Carter - 2011 Art Direction (War Horse), 2012 Production Design (Lincoln)
Jessica Chastain - 2011 Supporting Actress (The Help), 2012 Actress (Zero Dark Thirty)
George Clooney - 2011 Actor (The Descendants) and Adapted Screenplay (The Ides of March), 2012 Picture (Argo)
Eugene Gearty - 2011 *Sound Editing (Hugo), 2012 Sound Editing (Life of Pi)
Grant Heslov - 2011 Adapted Screenplay (The Ides of March), 2012 Picture (Argo)
Janusz Kaminski - 2011 Cinematography (War Horse), 2012 Cinematography (Lincoln)
Joe Letteri - 2011 Visual Effects (Planet of the Apes), 2012 Visual Effects (The Hobbit)
Andy Nelson - 2011 Sound Mixing (War Horse), 2012 Sound Mixing (Les Miserables; Lincoln)
Robert Richardson - 2011 *Cinematography (Hugo), 2012 Cinematography (Django Unchained)
Greg P. Russell - 2009 Sound, 2010 Sound, 2011 Sound, 2012 Sound Mixing (Skyfall)
Gary Rydstrom - 2011 Sound Editing and Sound Mixing (War Horse), 2012 Sound Mixing (Lincoln)
Steven Spielberg - 2011 Picture (War Horse), 2012 Picture and Director (Lincoln)
Philip Stockton - 2011 *Sound Editing (Hugo), 2012 Sound Editing (Life of Pi)
Ethan Van der Ryn - 2011 Sound Editing (Transformers), 2012 Sound Editing (Argo)
R. Christopher White - 2011 Visual Effects (Planet of the Apes), 2012 Visual Effects (The Hobbit)
John Williams - 2011 Score (The Adventures of Tin Tin, War Horse), 2012 Score (Lincoln)
Stuart Wilson - 2011 Sound Mixing (War Horse), 2012 Sound Mixing (Skyfall)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:
Uri wrote:Of the 20 actors, 16 were nominated before, 9 won. Are the 13 wins they share between them a record?

By being nominated again 46 years after getting his first nod, Arkin is second only to Hepburn (48 year old gap between first and last). Had Smith been nominated, she’d be second, having been nominated for the first time a year earlier, alas, thankfully, she was snubbed.
Arkin won the Oscar only a few years ago.
He was referring to his first nomination, not first win. Maggie Smith has another year to tie Hepburn's record and one more year after that to break it.
Let it GO.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:By precedent (and precedent only), only three films can win Best Picture. Life of Pi, Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook.

The narrative you will be seeing in the next few days (and which I will probably chime in supporting) is that we could have a replay of 1998. Weinstein vs. Spielberg. As we all recall, Saving Private Ryan went into the night the expected winner and then BAM Shakespeare in Love takes Best Picture cementing Harvey's influence over the Oscars. It could happen again. With support from the actors giving four nominations to four actors in four different categories, it's clearly appreciated. The only precedent that keeps me from thinking Silver Linings will manage to win is that it wasn't nominated for the DGA. In 1998, at least John Madden had the DGA nomination to support the potential emergence, but this time Russell isn't so lucky.
More likely the other way around with Lincoln winning Best Picture and someone else, Hanke? taking Best Director.

There is nothing set in granite that a film not nominated for Best Director can't win Best Picture. Driving Miss Daisy did it in teh not too distant past.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:
Uri wrote:Of the 20 actors, 16 were nominated before, 9 won. Are the 13 wins they share between them a record?

By being nominated again 46 years after getting his first nod, Arkin is second only to Hepburn (48 year old gap between first and last). Had Smith been nominated, she’d be second, having been nominated for the first time a year earlier, alas, thankfully, she was snubbed.
He was referring to his first nomination, not first win. Maggie Smith has another year to tie Hepburn's record and one more year after that to break it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

By precedent (and precedent only), only three films can win Best Picture. Life of Pi, Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook.

The narrative you will be seeing in the next few days (and which I will probably chime in supporting) is that we could have a replay of 1998. Weinstein vs. Spielberg. As we all recall, Saving Private Ryan went into the night the expected winner and then BAM Shakespeare in Love takes Best Picture cementing Harvey's influence over the Oscars. It could happen again. With support from the actors giving four nominations to four actors in four different categories, it's clearly appreciated. The only precedent that keeps me from thinking Silver Linings will manage to win is that it wasn't nominated for the DGA. In 1998, at least John Madden had the DGA nomination to support the potential emergence, but this time Russell isn't so lucky.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Not bad, I must say. No fascist Bigelow - I applauded when I noticed this. No Ben Affleck for the overrated, subtly racist Argo. And no Maggie Smith.

I can't comment on The Master's three acting nods as I still haven't seen the movie, but at least Phoenix and Hoffman are great actors. Glad to see them nominated.

Very happy for Amour. I really thought Best Picture would have been impossible (I wonder if it'd have made a five-slots list, too). And the Academy can only be proud for having recognized legendary actress Emmanuelle Riva - a name who is already in film history, and is now in Oscar history too.

Shocked that the French entry isn't nominated for Foreign Film. Now Amour should really easily win this one.

Not much love for Les Miserables. it seems. Much love for Life of Pi. It could win several technical awards.

And of course, with the let's-kill-Bin-Laden-once-again movie without a Best Director nomination, Lincoln should definitely win Best Picture, unless Silver Linings Playbook is really much, much liked (which it is, but, I guess, not enough to surprise us on Oscar night in this category. Best Actress should be very possible though).
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Of the 20 actors, 16 were nominated before, 9 won. Are the 13 wins they share between them a record?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My first reaction was that the oldtimers really did have a hard time trying to fill out their ballots on-line. With the excpetion of Amour pulling through in key categories, the biggest surprises were the number of nominations for Silver Linings Playbook and Beasts of teh Southern Wild, films that clearly appeal to a younger crowd.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The Dark Knight Rises and The Hunger Games are now the first 2 films to gross more than $400 million at the North American box-office to get completely shut out at the Oscars.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Aceisgreat wrote:That nominations ceremony was insufferable.
I quite agree. If this is waht we can expect from the show hosted by Seth MacFarlane we are in for a bore.

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”