Preliminary Oscar Predictions

For the films of 2012
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Preliminary Oscar Predictions

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Jessica Chastain is being promoted as lead. though it's unclear how critics and Oscar voters will actually see her. We should have an idea shortly.
The Best Actor field is becoming incredibly crowded, still I'm not getting all the predicitons for Emmanuelle Riva for Best Actress without Jean-Louis Trintignant receiving a corresponding nod for Best Actor. Joaquin Phoenix is vulnerable. He says he doesn't to be in the race, and while that doesn't usually stop them from considering a performance this year may be all the excuse they need to knock someone out of the top five.[/quote]
Both of these can be tackled together. I'm not sure that Best Actress is necessarily weaker than Best Supporting Actress in that I am only sure of two nominees for both Actress and Supporting Actress (Lawrence & Wallis and Adams & Hunt). And yet being promoted to lead might actually improve Chastain's chances. You ask why Riva and not Trintignant? I have not seen Amour yet, but I have zero doubt I'll be saying the same thing if/when it happens. The answer? More Oscar-likely contenders for Actor. A friend of mine has just seen Hitchcock and he said that in no way shape or form does Hopkins' SNL-level performance deserve an Oscar nomination, but it's almost designed to be something you bitch about on Oscar morning. So, not only does Trintignant have Bradley Cooper, Daniel Day-Lewis, John Hawkes, Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix, and Denzel Washington to contender. He also has to contender with [what I can only assume is total nonsense bullshit like] Anthony Hopkins in Hitchcock. Riva does not. She has to contender with Keira Knightley, who needed a historically weak year like 2005 to get nominated for a Joe Wright film but who could not in an only mildly historically weak year like 2007 where she lost out to Cate Blanchett in the sequel to Elizabeth. But that bodes well for Chastain.
Big Magilla wrote
I don't see Russell Crowe as a strong candidate, especially if Hugh Jackman isn't nominated in lead. I also think sight unseen predicitons for Anne Hathaway to win Supporting Actress are a bit much. If anyone's a sentimental favorite in that category it's Maggie Smith unless Judi Dench eats into her support. Dench would be a threat for Marigold but since she insists on being considered for lead for that (for which she has no chance), Skyfall may be her ticket. Oscars voters love to set precedents and an acting nomination for someone in a James Bond movie would certainly be that.

I'm also not getting the sight unseen hurrahs for Dicaprio in Tarantino's latest, which looks like it could go either way.
Nobody has seen either Hathaway or DiCaprio. I just can't come up with an alternative just yet, so I'm going with the flow. I can't comment on anything specifically regarding The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel because nobody has yet held a gun on me and told me that I have to watch it.
Big Magilla wrote
Hitchcok is getting mixed, but generally favorable reviews with superative ones for Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren. A second Oscar for Hopkins may be more appealing to voters than a third for either Day-Lewis or Washington and Mirren could well give early front-runner Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money for Best Actress making them the first lead co-winners since Nicholson and Hunt, though Hopkins faces a formidable threat from Hunt's new co-star (Hawkes).
As I said earlier, my film critic friend in Chicago has seen Hitchcock and says it's essentially My Week with Marilyn Redux. The performers are failed by writing and directing. It's a wiki-film and apparently a giant lie. Hopkins is SNL-lite and Mirren has one good scene. These are coattails noms.
Big Magilla wrote
I think The Master is toast as far as Picture and Director are concerned. Supporting nods for Hoffman and Adams seem the film's safest bet at this point, but even they are not secure.
The more I thing about it, you're right. It's probably not getting in for Picture or Director. I keep thinking that The Tree of Life's nomination bodes well for it, but considering that PTA couldn't get nominated for Boogie Nights or Magnolia, that it took There Will Be Blood to get him in, yeah, the divisiveness of this film means it could very well be a longshot. Actor, S. Actor, S. Actress, and O. Screenplay.
Greg wrote
Sabin, why no Best Actor nomination prediction for Hugh Jackman?
He could. If he wins the Musical or Comedy Golden Globe over Bradley Cooper (and Anthony Hopkins) it could happen. I am just currently feeling like Bradley Cooper has a better chance. I also don't subscribe to the notion that if Hugh Jackman isn't nominated, then Les Miserables is somehow weak, anymore than Richard Gere's "snub" killed Chicago's chances.

Also, there were a lot of subsequent comments about The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Last year, I didn't get around to watching Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and I attribute this to the fact that I'm going to die one day and I want to live as good and full a life as I can, and I needn't waste it on a Stephen Daldry movie. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sounds (to me) like the place you go after you die, a place between heaven and damnation, where minutes are eons and where the lake of fire seems like bliss compared to the constant limbo of stagnant confusion, of every moment asking the question "Have I been here for five seconds or five hundred years?"
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I thought Maggie Smith was fine in Marigold, though I don't quite buy her being any kind of contender this year. The only benefit Marigold has is being one of the earliest screeners to go out this year, meaning plenty of Oscar voters will have had time to pop it in. With Dench in lead for the film, Smith MIGHT be the only opportunity older voters have of recognizing the film, but I honestly doubt it hangs on very long.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I agree with Mister Tee about Maggie Smith. This was not one of her good parts in that the arc of her character was not fully developed. Her character is not given enough to do in this ensemble film. Whatever she does, she does it well but I would be very surprised if she were nominated.

Her performance in Quartet appears to be more in line with what we expect Dame Maggie to do effortlessly. But that's a lead performance.
Last edited by Reza on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:I really need Russell Crowe to not be a lead masquerading in support, because with sight-already-seen Philip Seymour Hoffman AND Helen Hunt in the mix, the category fraud this year could very well just crush my soul.
Well, as long as we're ticking off pet peeves...the idea of a supporting ten where a full five are already winners in the lead category...where all but two have lead nominations in their past...where Amy Adams and Jessica Chastain are the LEAST famous...makes me wonder if character actors/actresses should just forget about ever winning Oscars.

I'm almost completely divorced from the Oscar scene this year except for what I read or see on Netflix. But...do people really see Maggie Smith a potential nominee for that Marigold thing? I thought it was one of the few truly bad performances I've ever seen her give -- not that she was helped by a hideously conceived character in an overall terrible script.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin, why no Best Actor nomination prediction for Hugh Jackman?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jessica Chastain is being promoted as lead. though it's unclear how critics and Oscar voters will actually see her. We should have an idea shortly.

The Best Actor field is becoming incredibly crowded, still I'm not getting all the predicitons for Emmanuelle Riva for Best Actress without Jean-Louis Trintignant receiving a corresponding nod for Best Actor. Joaquin Phoenix is vulnerable. He says he doesn't to be in the race, and while that doesn't usually stop them from considering a performance this year may be all the excuse they need to knock someone out of the top five.

I don't see Russell Crowe as a strong candidate, especially if Hugh Jackman isn't nominated in lead. I also think sight unseen predicitons for Anne Hathaway to win Supporting Actress are a bit much. If anyone's a sentimental favorite in that category it's Maggie Smith unless Judi Dench eats into her support. Dench would be a threat for Marigold but since she insists on being considered for lead for that (for which she has no chance), Skyfall may be her ticket. Oscars voters love to set precedents and an acting nomination for someone in a James Bond movie would certainly be that.

I'm also not getting the sight unseen hurrahs for Dicaprio in Tarantino's latest, which looks like it could go either way.

Hitchcok is getting mixed, but generally favorable reviews with superative ones for Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren. A second Oscar for Hopkins may be more appealing to voters than a third for either Day-Lewis or Washington and Mirren could well give early front-runner Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money for Best Actress making them the first lead co-winners since Nicholson and Hunt, though Hopkins faces a formidable threat from Hunt's new co-star (Hawkes).

I think The Master is toast as far as Picture and Director are concerned. Supporting nods for Hoffman and Adams seem the film's safest bet at this point, but even they are not secure.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I really need Russell Crowe to not be a lead masquerading in support, because with sight-already-seen Philip Seymour Hoffman AND Helen Hunt in the mix, the category fraud this year could very well just crush my soul.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Now more than ever, the world needs a first week in November predictions list...

Best Picture
Argo
*Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
(and next in order: Beasts of the Southern Wild
Zero Dark Thirty
The Master
The Sessions
Django Unchained)

Best Director
Ben Affleck, Argo
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
*Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
*John Hawkes, The Sessions
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

Best Actress
Judi Dench, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
*Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Emmanuel Riva, Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Supporting Actor
Russell Crowe, Les Miserables
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
*Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Lincoln
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
*Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Best Original Screenplay
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Michael Haneke, Amour
*Ben Lewin, The Sessions

Best Adapted Screenplay
Chris Terrio, Argo
Lucy Alibar & Ben Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
William Nicholson, Les Miserables
David Magee, Life of Pi
*David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Cinematography
Seamus McGarvey, Anna Karenina
Ben Richardson, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Danny Cohen, Les Miserables
*Claudio Miranda, Life of Pi
Greig Fraser, Zero Dark Thirty
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Reza wrote:Denzel Washington is getting good reviews for Flight. Nobody here seems to be predicting him for a nomination.
He'd probably win for this had he not recently won for Training Day. The Academy should've refrained from awarding him because he "played against type", because wouldn't it be better to honor him for a more identifiable role which captures the essence of his career-long onscreen persona?
So are you saying he won't be nominated?
No, I was talking about whether he'd win or not. Unless the movie is a huge box office bomb, I don't think there's any question about his nomination.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Reza wrote:Denzel Washington is getting good reviews for Flight. Nobody here seems to be predicting him for a nomination.
He'd probably win for this had he not recently won for Training Day. The Academy should've refrained from awarding him because he "played against type", because wouldn't it be better to honor him for a more identifiable role which captures the essence of his career-long onscreen persona?
So are you saying he won't be nominated?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Denzel Washington is getting good reviews for Flight. Nobody here seems to be predicting him for a nomination.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don;t think poor box office wil kill The Master 's chances at nominations in the acting and writing, maybe even directing categories, but it won't win. Comments like these from the film's star don't exactly help either:

http://news.yahoo.com/movie-awards-stup ... 32319.html
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:After crashing and burning in wide release, how likely are The Master's chances at major awards?
I think Phoenix (actor), Hoffman (sup actor), Adams (sup actress), PTA (screenplay) and cinematograhy are the likeliest nominations at this point.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

After crashing and burning in wide release, how likely are The Master's chances at major awards?

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”