Foreign Language Film Submissions

For the films of 2012
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Foreign Language Film Submissions

Post by Sabin »

Is Amour even eligible? It's a French-language France-German-Austrian co-production shot in France. How can that be France's official choice? Isn't that why Kieslowski and Haneke's previous features aside from The White Ribbon failed to make it in.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:Thanks for the tip Anonymous, I'll keep an eye out for The Womb.

Mlrg, Very true but a couple of years ago Portugal selected To Die Like a Man which makes Tabu look positively mainstream. But it would we nice to see them submit a from film Manoel de Oliveira, though the review in The Hollywood Report was rather lukewarm.
I don't think we will submit Oliveira's last film. It was slammed by several critics in Venice. Some even wrote that it was such a boredom that it made The Tree Of Life look like The Transformers.

I think they should give him an Honorary Oscar. It's the only major award he hasn't received.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thanks for the tip Anonymous, I'll keep an eye out for The Womb.

Mlrg, Very true but a couple of years ago Portugal selected To Die Like a Man which makes Tabu look positively mainstream. But it would we nice to see them submit a from film Manoel de Oliveira, though the review in The Hollywood Report was rather lukewarm.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

If Captive couldn't get in this year, I think Brillante Mendoza could maybe get in NEXT year with Thy Womb which I read got a standing ovation in Venice and the lead actress, legendary Filipina actress Nora Aunor got rave reviews from critics.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:
Portugal - Tabu

Portugal has a small film industry and this film has been rightly acclaimed on the festival circuit all year.
Well, we have the oldest living active filmaker, Manoel de Oliveira, who, at 103, just premiered is last film in competition in Venice.

Tabu received amazing reviews all year in festival circuit but I don't think it's appealing to the Academy'
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Foreign Language Film Submissions

Post by Precious Doll »

I thought it would be worthwhile starting up a thread for these are they should start coming through shortly.

I was having a look at Wikipedia and found that some countries had films listed as TBD (to be determined).

These appear to be the likely submissions for 12 countries:

Austria - Amour
Cambodia - Lost Loves
Germany - Barbara
Greece - Unfair World
Japan - Our Homeland
Morocco - Death for Sale
Poland - 80 Million
The Netherlands - Kauwboy
Serbia - When Day Breaks
Sweden - The Hypnotist
Ukraine - Firecrosser
Venezuela - Rock, Paper, Scissors

Some other countries have a number of short-listed films:

Chile: Bonsai, No, Old Cats, Sal
Denmark: Marie Kroyer, Love Is All You Need, A Royal Affair
Hungary - Adventure, The Exam, Istanbul, Just the Wind, The Maiden Danced to Death, SOS Love The Million Dollar Contract
Israel - The Ballad of the Weeping Spring, Fill the Void, God's Neghbors, Rock he Kasbah, The World is Funny
Norway - Kon-Tiki, I Belong, The Orheim Company
South Korea - In Another Country, Masquerade, Nameless Gangster, Pieta, The Taste of Money
Mexico - Aqui entre nos, Colosio El asesinato, Despues de Lucia, El fantastico mundo de Juan Orol, El lugar mas pequeno, Pastorela, Post Tenebras Lux
The Philippines - Captive, The Dance of Two Left Feet, Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Alonga Story, A Mother's Story, Palawan Fate, Segunda Mano, The Witness
Switzerland - The Foster Boy, Lullaby Ride, Operation Libertad, Sister, Someone Like Me, Delemont-Hooywood

My comments:

I would have thought that Amour would be considered French. But regardless of who is able to submit the film, Michael Haneke will be holding an Oscar next February and it will be a win every bit of deserved as A Separation.

I'm not surprised at the possible German submission. Barbara is a solid film that depicts the repressive life of East German without resorting to cliches.

I hope Chile goes with Old Cats (a very funny and engaging film) though it will have little hope of making the final five. I found Bonsai to be a drag. I believe No is very good (missing a screening a couple of weeks ago due to a bad case of the flu).

I expect Denmark to select A Royal Affair which has performed well at the box office with respectable reviews. It's the sort of film the Academy responds to.

I've seen two of the South Korean films (In Another Country & The Taste of Money). I liked them both but they aren't the types of films that do well in this category. I believe Pieta is very good.

I've seen The Captive which was better then I expected by nothing special.

Sister would be a good choice for Switzerland. Stirring and engaging social drama with features Gillian Anderson in a solid supporting role.

I'll also predict some from countries not mentioned:

Romania - Beyond the Hills is a given I think. It's a double Cannes winner (screenplay & both lead actresses sharing the actress award and follow up from the director of 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days. Though it lacks the power of his first film (it's 2 and a half hours long with a dull last hour that does build to a powerful payoff) it is still a worthy and interesting film.

Portugal - Tabu

Portugal has a small film industry and this film has been rightly acclaimed on the festival circuit all year.

Italy - Whilst one would think that either Reality (I'll be seeing this in a couple of weeks) or Caesar Must Die (Berlin winner) would be no brainers, Italy is notorious was submitting some terrible films, so this could go anywhere.

Australia - Lore

If Austria can in fact submit Amour, then maybe Australia can submit Lore an Australian film made in Germany, with a Germany cast and story but written, directed and financed by Australians.

Anyway announcements of submissions will start coming in soon.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “85th Nominations and Winners”