SAG: Best Actress

For the films of 2011
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: SAG: Best Actress

Post by anonymous1980 »

The tears of Cicely Tyson may have given the Oscar to Viola Davis.

Let's not also forget Viola Davis is only the 2nd black actress to earn more than one Oscar nomination. Whoopi Goldberg is the other one. It's kind of a nice coincidence too: Whoopi nominated in Lead but wins Supporting in her 2nd nomination; Viola Davis first gets nominated in Supporting but later on wins in Lead.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The overwhelming success of The Help among this very wide and, ahm, democratic body of voters reminds me of what I know* about the Walter Brenan phenomenon in the late'30s, when the academy allowed all those extras to vote. Hopefully the more selective nature of the academy will, for once, give us better results.

* And off course, like so much else I know when it comes to the Oscars, I learned it reading Inside Oscar.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Does anyone know the male:female ratio of the Academy? Because I feel if there is a significant number of females this is why Davis will win. She'll garner the female vote while the male votes will probably be split. The Help is that silly girly film that every woman sees then reads the book and swoons over and then becomes part of local bookclubs and sucks.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The one that's totally unlike the others: The Miracle Worker -- the only one of the 33 not even nominated for best picture.

Which returns us to what we were discussing the other day: in a year of 5, would The Help have made the cut, in which case it might have joined The Miracle Worker in that grouping. (You could argue the same for Jezebel, of course)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, Rolo. That makes it 17 vs. 16.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:I get 16 multiple acting winners that failed to win Best Picture vs. 17 that did.

First group: Jezebel; A Streetcar Named Desire; The Miracle Worker; Who's Afriad of Virginia Woolf?; The Last Picture Show; Cabaret; Network; Coming Home; Raging Bull; On Golden Pond; Hannah and Her Sisters; Moonstruck; My Left Foot; As Good As It Gets; Mystic River; The Fighter.

Second grup: It Happened One Night; Gone With the Wind; Mrs. Miniver; Going My Way; The Best Years of Our Lives; All the King's Men; From Here to Eternity; On the Waterfront; Ben-Hur; West Side Story; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Kramer vs. Kramer; Terms of Endearment; The Silence of the Lambs; The Piano; Shakespeare in Love; Million Dollar Baby.
One of these things is not like the other.

Impressive research, otherwise.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Until I saw the reaction in that room, I was skeptical of Davis' chances of winning the Oscar. However, now I'm not so sure. She's lucky she isn't in her '50s yet or her chances would diminish dramatically. But, being 46, she still has a steep hill to climb. Only 5 actresses in Oscar history were between the ages of 45 and 49 when they won the Oscar. Compare that to 34 alone in their 30's and 28 under 30.

But I'm fairly certain we'll see a double win for The Help Oscar night. The question is (because I don't have the time or wherewithal to research this right now) when was the last time a film won Oscars for multiple performances without getting Best Picture? It may not have been that long ago or have been that infrequent, but I'd like to see the numbers.
I get 16 multiple acting winners that failed to win Best Picture vs. 17 that did.

First group: Jezebel; A Streetcar Named Desire; The Miracle Worker; Who's Afriad of Virginia Woolf?; The Last Picture Show; Cabaret; Network; Coming Home; Raging Bull; On Golden Pond; Hannah and Her Sisters; Moonstruck; My Left Foot; As Good As It Gets; Mystic River; The Fighter.

Second grup: It Happened One Night; Gone With the Wind; Mrs. Miniver; Going My Way; The Best Years of Our Lives; All the King's Men; From Here to Eternity; On the Waterfront; Ben-Hur; West Side Story; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Kramer vs. Kramer; Terms of Endearment; The Silence of the Lambs; The Piano; Shakespeare in Love; Million Dollar Baby.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Both Streep and Williams gave genuine star performances. Davis' is part of an ensemble even if it is the strongest in the film, but everyone in that room seemed to genuinely love her. And her speeches are so classy. How can they not give to her?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

15 to 16...this year should even it up

Interestingly, all of those with more than 2 acting awards failed to win Best Picture...never noticed that before.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Viola Davis will win.

My mother saw My Week with Marilyn and The Iron Lady this weekend. Both films she said were very underwhelming but the actresses were incredible. She asked me who they were up against, and I mentioned Rooney Mara (hadn't seen the English version), Glenn Close (doesn't want to see it), and then Viola Davis. She began to tell me about Viola Davis' final scene in The Help as if there was a test on it. I think that's what's going to do it for her.
"How's the despair?"
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

A win for Streep tonight would have cemented her Oscar chances, but I still think she will eek this one out by a hair.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:The question is (because I don't have the time or wherewithal to research this right now) when was the last time a film won Oscars for multiple performances without getting Best Picture? It may not have been that long ago or have been that infrequent, but I'd like to see the numbers.
The Fighter. Mystic River. As Good As It Gets. The Piano.

It's not that uncommon.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Until I saw the reaction in that room, I was skeptical of Davis' chances of winning the Oscar. However, now I'm not so sure. She's lucky she isn't in her '50s yet or her chances would diminish dramatically. But, being 46, she still has a steep hill to climb. Only 5 actresses in Oscar history were between the ages of 45 and 49 when they won the Oscar. Compare that to 34 alone in their 30's and 28 under 30.

But I'm fairly certain we'll see a double win for The Help Oscar night. The question is (because I don't have the time or wherewithal to research this right now) when was the last time a film won Oscars for multiple performances without getting Best Picture? It may not have been that long ago or have been that infrequent, but I'd like to see the numbers.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

And there goes the chance at having an excellent performance win the Oscar...
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
OscarGuy
Site Admin

SAG: Best Actress

Post by OscarGuy »

Viola Davis - The Help
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”