Golden Globe Awards

For the films of 2011
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Golden Globe Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

At this point, I'm not sure. It almost seems like a Cars/Happy Feet kind of competition. Cars won more prizes than Happy Feet, but lost to Happy Feet in the end. Cars was bigger financially than Happy Feet, much like Rango over Tintin. It's very possible that being more recent in memory, Tintin will triumph. I'm not really sure at this point, though. Not quite sure yet. BAFTA could be the first time we know for certain.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:The Adventures of Tintin won for two reasons, the least of which was that Rango is very much an "American" film. Tintin is also much better known outside the U.S. and I wouldn't doubt if most of the HPFA grew up with Tintin and thus are more familiar with the character and his adventures, thus the film had a more nostalgic feel. It was destined to win this award, I think.
So are you saying the Oscars are going to go with Rango?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Adventures of Tintin won for two reasons, the least of which was that Rango is very much an "American" film. Tintin is also much better known outside the U.S. and I wouldn't doubt if most of the HPFA grew up with Tintin and thus are more familiar with the character and his adventures, thus the film had a more nostalgic feel. It was destined to win this award, I think.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Madonna's song was already disqualified by AMPAS. It's not in the eligibility list. Apparently, the song is the second music cue during the end credits, which is a violation of the Original Song Oscar rules.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'd like to thank the Giants for wrapping up just in time for me to switch channels.

After the supporting prizes went monotonously to the Broadcast winners, I feared these dread televised awards might yet take the fun out of what seems such a promising season. Fortunately, the later winners created some murk, which is what I always root for.

The Artist came out of the evening the way I perceived it going in: as clear front-runner, but no juggernaut. Failing to take director/screenplay/supporting actress says it's not sweeping away all challengers. Interesting note: two of the films since the turn of the century that won a best picture award but missed best director did the same at the Oscars (Gladiator and Chicago). And two films the won best director but lost best picture (Million Dollar Baby and The Departed) went on to win both at the Oscars.

At the last minute, I decided Clooney was the likely winner here, given his multli-nominated year, and (film sight unsen) I'm fine with it, because I think Brad Pitt has a very decent chance of winning at SAG.

Streep, on the other hand, just about had to win here, because I think SAG will be all Viola Davis. Given the side-boost given to Michelle Williams (and, not a minor thing at all, the same to Jean Dujardin), I think both lead races are very much in doubt.

I haven't looked it up, but I think this is only Woody's second screenplay win, and the other was for the not-dissimilar Purple Rose of Cairo. Amazingly, Annie Hall lost to The Goodbye Girl, and Hannah and Her Sisters fell to the even-less-conceivable The Mission.

Does the TinTin win make animated feature an actual race, or was it just Spielberg-whoring?

Ditto on song, where who knows if Madonna will even be nominated by AMPAS.

As for the show: Ricky Gervais was funny enough, but he had an outrage bar set for him that no one was ever likely to hit.

Best in presenting show: Macy/Huffman.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Dozed off, missed Dujardin, Streep and Scorsese.
Don't worry you will catch up with them at the Oscars.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Dozed off, missed Dujardin, Streep and Scorsese.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Last year, Tilda looked like Tin Tin. This year, she looks like David Bowie.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Give Michelle Pfieffer a bowler hat and she could pass as a member of the Chassidim
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

We just saw three of the greatest speaking voices on stage, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and Sidney Poitier.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

So far, the NFL playoff games were more exciting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Golden Globe Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll be posting separate topics for each category as they are announced. You can discuss the award show itself here.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”