Critics Choice Awards

For the films of 2011
dylanfan32
Graduate

Re: Critics Choice Awards

Post by dylanfan32 »

I actually enjoyed a lot about the show. I'm still catching up on a few movies, i'm seeing the artist this week. But i didn't really care about the winners anyhow, its the bfca..does anyone care?

I watched the show on dvr so it made it easier to watch being able to fast forward the commercials and montages. And its a short show to begin with.

The hosts were horrible but they are horrible every year. But really, what host would take the task of hosting a show like that out of the hosts that could actually do a good job. And the fact remains there are so few entertainers that can actually do a good job. I say either hire ricky gervais, billy crystal or go the old globe route and have no hosts because its a waste of time and just awkward when nobody laughs at anything they say.

I thought the sean penn thing was very fitting, i mean yea its hammy but it was the 2 year anniversary of a horrible day...sean penn should be commended for his work and if it brings a little more awareness than why not. And clooney and penn always seem to say the right things while also getting chuckles.

From my screenname you could probably guess i'm a pretty big bob dylan fan. I was shocked when i heard bob was going to perform at a show like that. And having seen bob over 50 times perform live, it is always hit or miss with his voice. And it usually takes him a few songs into the show to start to sound good(or as good as he is going to sound these days). So i always worry when he is going to perform at a show that he is going to embarress himself. I actually like the grawl if its understandable. And it was understandable last night. He picked a great song and i thought he and the band did a great job with it. He is also one of the few artists that i think everyone in the room enjoyed just seeing perform out of curiousity and respect.

Best speech of night was from the director of a seperation(a very deserved winner)...."the differences between people and culture is not important, the similarities is what is important, very important." Well done.

And the house band wasn't that bad, could have done without the singer.

Looking forward to the globes.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Who broadcasts an awards show on a Thursday night?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Does anyone know the title of the all-instrumental song they played shortly before Scorsese went to the stage? I have always loved that song; but, I have never learned its title.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm glad A Separation won best foreign language film. Don't really care about the rest.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Big Magilla wrote:What is Mob Wives? Is it an actual reality show or a spoof of one? Does anyone watch such garbage?
Oh, Big Magilla. This is 2012. Of course it's a real show. There's nothing less trashy than that show. That's why it's on VH1.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Apparently they still managed one tie vote, but it was not on the show...cinematography. The winners were "The Tree of Life" and "War Horse." Guess they couldn't decide which one has a better chance at the Oscars.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The whole show was in bad tste with the death montage the absolute low point.

The only thing Judd Appatow ever produced or directed that I liked was Freaks and Geeks. Now I know why. The man himself is as off-putting as the crap he unleashes on the public.

What is Mob Wives? Is it an actual reality show or a spoof of one? Does anyone watch such garbage?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know where they got these hosts from, but they should never be permitted to host anything again. Not only were they painfully unfunny, most of their bits were unfunny. And that Death Scenes montage was predictable from the first choice of Source Code. I'm just surprised it took so long to get back around to. The winners I really didn't care for as the one terrific prize given out wasn't even done on the show (Drive won Best Action Film), but since that award was going to a film that no one watched, it probably didn't have on-screen value.

There was something horribly smug about the whole presentation from the trying-to-be-hip house band, Martin Scorsese tribute and Sean Penn award, everything was calculated for the most insipid prattle ever. There's a reason the Globes are still the best non-Oscar awards show out there. As much as I do love the SAG awards, the Globes made a great choice of bringing Gervais back again (I think that may have more to do with having a new president of the HFPA than anything). No wonder this show was cast off from other networks and landed at has-been VH-1 of all places. I mean their big hit is apparently Mob Wives? W.T.F.?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I "watched" the way I said I would, muted, tuning in at key moments -- though I did hit a few stray moments of patter, when I didn't mute quickly enough. God! This was cheeseball on a Kiwanis Club level.

The choices were mostly on the same level. This was a pack of sentimental winners your grandmother could get behind, all from "nice" movies. (They even continued to pretend the Extremely Loud movie was prize-worthy)

As we headed into best actor, I thought to myself, you know, if they pick Brad here, they may actually have managed to ruin even a seemingly wide-open Oscar season like this (the previous three acting winners were precisely the ones I, if forced today, would have predicted for AMPAS). The Clooney win was the night's only curve -- and it came as a surprise, given that Descendants had lost screenplay and even young actor, two prizes that seemed in its grasp. It made me think, well, if I'm not sure this win will be repeated in late February, why should I be convinced about the earlier ones? The Broadcasters' power is not so much their own picks, as the fact they seem to get the Globes and SAG to fall right in line.

So, the agenda for Sunday: Pitt/Dujardin; Streep/Williams; Brooks; anybody but Spencer; and maybe a best director surprise. Let's keep this season boiling.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Awful show, awards not especially interesting but both Viola Davis and George Clooney gave good acceptance speeches. Question is was this a one-up or the start of another repetitive awards season?
HollywoodZ
Graduate

Post by HollywoodZ »

I'm just thankful I had this on DVR so I could fast forward through the host segments...and a good portion of the show.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

bizarre wrote:
ksrymy wrote:Viola Davis was right to look shocked. Everyone else deserved to beat her.
Lol, wrong.
She was better giving her speech than she was in The Help.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

ksrymy wrote:Viola Davis was right to look shocked. Everyone else deserved to beat her.
Lol, wrong.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

At least they got Best Picture right.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Viola Davis was right to look shocked. Everyone else deserved to beat her.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”