ACE Predictions

For the films of 2011
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: ACE Predictions

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I wouldn't put the ACE anywhere near the level of the SAGs, the DGA or the PGA, but okay...

Why did I even go there?
Me neither, but I would put it on the same level as ASC and certainly above the Costume and Set designers Guilds. After all, it is still true no film has won Best Picture since ORDINARY PEOPLE without being nominated in the Editing category, and ACE gives us an idea of who will be nominated in that category.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I wouldn't put the ACE anywhere near the level of the SAGs, the DGA or the PGA, but okay...

Why did I even go there?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:Well, the last major Guild is the American Cinema Editors and their Eddie Award (announced January 16).
I don't think the Costume Designers Guild has announced yet. And even though they're not a guild, there's also the Cinema Audio Society to look forward to.
That is why I used the qualifier major, but what can be called a major Guild award is really just a matter of opinion.

I just feel like what does or does not show up with ACE is very telling about overall industry support. When THE KING'S SPEECH was nominated, I knew we had a juggernaut on our hands -- though I assumed the Academy would not nominate its cut-and-paste editing over far more deserving films. :evil:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS GUILD
Best Editing – Dramatic Feature
The Descendants
The Help
Hugo
Moneyball
War Horse

Best Editing – Comedic or Musical
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Midnight in Paris
My Week with Marilyn
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Well, the last major Guild is the American Cinema Editors and their Eddie Award (announced January 16).
I don't think the Costume Designers Guild has announced yet. And even though they're not a guild, there's also the Cinema Audio Society to look forward to.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

ACE Predictions

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Well, the last major Guild is the American Cinema Editors and their Eddie Award (announced January 16). This one could actually help make some things clear about who is up and who is down. If WAR HORSE fails here, than I doubt it has much of a chance with the Academy. Likewise, if TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY receives a nomination then a B.P. nomination looks more likely.

Drama
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
Moneyball
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
War Horse

Wild Card pick: Mission Impossible 4

Comedy
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Midnight In Paris
Young Adult

Wild Card pick: The Muppets

With the Academy, I think all the nominees in the Drama category will be the nominees except THE ARTIST will knock off either MONEYBALL or TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY. I would love for THE TREE OF LIFE and DRIVE to be nominated in this category by the Academy, but I am not holding my breath.
Last edited by rolotomasi99 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”