ASC Predictions

For the films of 2011
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: ASC Predictions

Post by Sabin »

You are absolutely right.

Well, then The Artist is in over Drive.

I don't think that they will snub The Tree of Life. Emmanuel Lubeszki is a previous winner and it's been out in release for ages whereas The New World had just started to be seen. I think the ASC is a guild that will prove much more responsive to The Tree of Life than the Directors and the Producers Guild. At this point, I'd be surprised if it didn't win.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I predict the Guild shut-out for THE TREE OF LIFE continues, but the Academy will rectify this outrage. I was surprised to learn Eduardo Serra has never been nominated for an ASC award. I say THE DEATHLY HALLOWS will be replaced by THE TREE OF LIFE with the Oscar nominations, but everyone else will carry over.

My predictions:
The Artist
The Deathly Hallows
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
War Horse

Complete wild card guess:
Moneyball
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Yeah, remember Bruno Delbonnel. He won for ''A Very Long Engagement''...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think the ASC limits its selections to members only like the WGA does.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HollywoodZ
Graduate

Post by HollywoodZ »

Whoops, good call. Replace The Artist with The Tree of Life.

*edit* Well, then, for now, I'm letting my first predictions stand. If The Artist is ineligible, then replace it with The Tree of Life.
Last edited by HollywoodZ on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Unless I'm mistaken, Guillaume Schiffman isn't a member of the ASC so he isn't eligible for a nomination.

I'm guessing:

Jeff Cronenweth, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (1 previous ASC nom)
Janusz Kaminski, War Horse (4 previous ASC noms, 0 wins)
Emmanuel Lubeszki, The Tree of Life (2 previous ASC noms, 1 win)
Robert Richardson, Hugo (9 previous ASC noms, 0 wins)
Newton Thomas Sigel, Drive (0 previous ASC noms - my wild card pick)
"How's the despair?"
HollywoodZ
Graduate

ASC Predictions

Post by HollywoodZ »

Okay, I know this guild has never been timely with releasing their nominees, but I'll just go ahead and make my predictions because I'm getting antsy in waiting:

The Artist
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
J. Edgar
Hugo
War Horse

I think either J. Edgar or War Horse would be the most vulnerable for the Oscar category, losing out to The Tree of Life. Yes, I hate Malick, but when predicting, one must put their personal feelings aside in order to be accurate and his films are three for three in cinematography nods and they always seem to be the strongest points of his movies. Now, if War Horse loses a nod here, be prepared for a pretty big shut out for the movie as Kaminski even managed to get an ASC nod for Amistad. If he can't get in here, the movie is in serious trouble in 2 weeks. J. Edgar I'm throwing in here as a pedigree nominee, kinda like Apocalypto's nod, which I think could sneak in if it's liked enough, but like I said, it's seriously vulnerable to The Tree of Life.

I'm not counting on The Tree of Life to make it in here as The New World was shut out in 2005 in favor of King Kong. While John Toll may have won for The Thin Red Line, I look more at the more recent trend and that was to overlook the cinematography in The New World, which ended up with an Oscar nod, so I think the same suit may be followed.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”