National Society of Film Critics' winners

For the films of 2011
Okri
Tenured

Re: National Society of Film Critics' winners

Post by Okri »

Of course, they also honoured Jamie Foxx in 2004 (sorry Tee, I know, I say it every year).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Okri wrote:I'm presuming you mean Michelle Williams Reza, and I'd say she's a strong contender for the win.
Yes. Both Pitt and Williams would look great as winners on the podium.........and standing next to each other, in magazines and newspapers, holding their Oscars.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Rejoice in these wins if you agree with them, but don't suppose that they will have any affect on the Oscars.
We know, Big Magilla, we know... But we also know that this is the last group on Earth which could give Best Director to Terrence Malick out of pity because he's now technically an orphan. Plus, I hope that even in America - ok, a perrson who dies is always a sad loss, I know, but I mean... I'd say that NINETY-NINE is a reasonable age...
You guys don't appreciate sarcastic humor do you? Malick is not an orphan. His father is still living.

:)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Rejoice in these wins if you agree with them, but don't suppose that they will have any affect on the Oscars.

We know, Big Magilla, we know... But we also know that this is the last group on Earth which could give Best Director to Terrence Malick out of pity because he's now technically an orphan. Plus, I hope that even in America - ok, a perrson who dies is always a sad loss, I know, but I mean... I'd say that NINETY-NINE is a reasonable age...
You guys don't appreciate sarcastic humor do you? Malick is not an orphan. His father is still living.

The history of the NSFC shows that they are an organization that seeks ot recognize films/directors/performers that either came in second or third or were completely overlooked by the other precursors which always preceed them or endorse those choices that seemingly indisuputably the best.

Among the performers that fit the mold:

Sylvie in The Shamless Old Lady; Marjorie Rhodes in The Family Way; Vanessa Redgrave in The Loves of Isadora; Lois Smith in Five Easy Pieces; Holger Lowenadler in Lacombe, Lucien; Robert Morley in Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?; Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet; Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice; Beau Bridges in The Fabulous Baker Boys; River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho; Don Cheadle in Devil in a Blue Dress; Martin Donovan in The Portrait of a Lady and Hanna Schygulla in The Edge of Heaven, all of whom were better selections than many of the nominees AMPAS chose over them .

Their Best Picture choices are usually popular domestic films or unanimously praised foreign films. This year I would think third place A Separation would be more in line with previous choices but this year has been anything but predictable with any of the precursors. And, yes I know, both Melancholia and The Tree of Life scored high on MetaCritic's poll of top critics, but their detractors were quite venonous, calling the former "art-house puke" and the latter "utterly pointless" whereas A Separation has received universally rapturous reviews.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm presuming you mean Michelle Williams Reza, and I'd say she's a strong contender for the win.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I can certainly live with Pitt winning an Oscar this year even though I didn't get his performance or film for that matter. But it's hardly about a performance or film anymore at the Oscars. He has all the ingredients (listed below) this year to be a winner. And as someone said if Sandra could win hers for a sports film why can't Pitt. I suppose it would be greedy to ask for Williams to join him at the podium.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Original BJ wrote:For those who have seen Take Shelter, is Jessica Chastain really great in it? Or is her critics' award sweep entirely due to quantity of roles this year? I thought she was pretty funny in The Help, and effective in The Tree of Life, but I certainly wouldn't have pegged her to be such a dominant awards presence on those roles alone.
She's excellent in Take Shelter, and it's borderline on the Lead/Support spectrum (although I wouldn't classify anyone except Shannon as the lead in it). Even without The Tree of Life and The Help aiding her cause, I think she would easily be my Supporting Actress pick this year for Take Shelter. She's excellent throughout the movie (very believable, authentic, and lived-in), and has a real knockout scene near the end. I think the narrative of her meteoric rise is a big help for her awards run though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Rejoice in these wins if you agree with them, but don't suppose that they will have any affect on the Oscars. The NSFC is and always has been the least predictive of the precursors. Brad Pitt, Albert Brooks and Jessica Chastain's cumlative awards this year may make them Oscar front-runners but we'll have to see if the Broadcast Critics, Globes and SAG jump on their bandwagons before we start placing our bets.

Here's a little recap of last years NSFC winners in the top six categories, none of which were endorsed by Oscar:

BEST ACTOR
*1. Jesse Eisenberg 30 – The Social Network
2. Colin Firth 29 – The King’s Speech
2. Edgar Ramirez 29 – Carlos

BEST ACTRESS
*1. Giovanna Mezzogiorno 33 – Vincere
2. Annette Bening 28 – The Kids Are All Right
3. Lesley Manville 27 – Another Year

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
*1. Geoffrey Rush 33 – The King’s Speech
2. Christian Bale 32 – The Fighter
3. Jeremy Renner 30 – The Town

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
*1. Olivia Williams 37 – The Ghost Writer
2. Amy Adams 28 – The Fighter
3. Melissa Leo 23 – The Fighter
3. Jacki Weaver 23 – Animal Kingdom

BEST PICTURE
*1. The Social Network 61
2. Carlos 28
3. Winter’s Bone 18

BEST DIRECTOR
*1. David Fincher 66 – The Social Network
2. Olivier Assayas 36 – Carlos
3. Roman Polanski 29 – The Ghost Writer
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Even if the choices aren't always that special, this is a great season for critic's awards. There hasn't been half the conformity that I feared. I wish that The Tree of Life (not to mention A Separation) had mustered the two votes (!!!) to beat Melancholia, but I'd much rather see a film that a select group of people are passionate about that something mass appeal and lukewarm like The Artist or The Descendants.

In retrospect, we shouldn't be that surprised at Brad Pitt's victory for Moneyball when it is really half a victory for his superior performance in The Tree of Life. The man had a great, even if he ends up winning the Oscar for the wrong half of said year.

Albert Brooks continues to split the awards with Christopher Plummer. Jessica Chastain continues to steamroll for her body of work.

I'm thrilled that A Separation isn't just winning token awards for Foreign-Language Film but also for its exceptional screenwriting. I wish that could transfer over to the big victory, but it's still an incredibly warm reception.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I agree with Italiano -- as delightful as Jean Dujardin is in The Artist, I'd hardly declare him some kind of lock when unrewarded hometown boy Brad Pitt, in a year with two strong performances, is on the ballot. (I mean, if Sandra Bullock can win for HER sports movie...)

As a nonfan of Melancholia (and Dunst in it), I can't say I was terribly enthused by those selections. I wish one of the major critics groups would have gone for Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy -- my personal choice for Best Actress of the year -- and I thought this might be the group to do it.

I also thought the Shame actors would have scored somewhere this season, and am fairly surprised that neither have been able to gain all that much traction. I mean, they couldn't even place as runners-up here. The Tree of Life also exits the season without a major critics award for Best Picture.

For those who have seen Take Shelter, is Jessica Chastain really great in it? Or is her critics' award sweep entirely due to quantity of roles this year? I thought she was pretty funny in The Help, and effective in The Tree of Life, but I certainly wouldn't have pegged her to be such a dominant awards presence on those roles alone.

Good call on A Separation's screenplay, though.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And of course the film has shown up at virtually every awards-giving this season under cinematography. If Lubezki fails to win the Oscar after all this, he should call up David Fincher to comiserate.

Something that only hit me later: Pitt & Dunst winning makes for an Interview with the Vampire reunion.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I say it's not likely, Magilla. His mother died 2 1/2 weeks ago. And speaking for myself, I knew nothing about it until you mentioned it. I doubt most of the NSFC voters knew, either.

If Cannes can award the film the Palme and the L.A. Film Critics can award him Best Director, then there's no reason why this group can't also award him Best Director. They're the NSFC, it's a very characteristic choice.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote:
Was also surprised that Terence Malick and The Tree of Life sprung from nowhere to snatch the director's prize. Was really nowhere during this awards season and rightfully so.
Well, his mother just died at 99 so maybe he was on their minds more than usual today.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote: I think that The Artist will win Best Picture and other Oscars, but why should they go to France for Best Actor, when they have a local golden boy who's also a big star and who's also a good actor with not one but two much-praised performances in this year? This is the perfect chance to honor someone who, like it or not, is probably the most famous, most popular living American actor in the world (with Tom Cruise - but more talented than Tom Cruise and with a "nicer" personality). I don't think they will miss it.

As for Malick... well, my fingers are crossed...
Brad Pitt is also very active in charitable and progressive causes, one more reason Hollywood would be happy to honor him.

I do give the National Society a lot of credit for ignoring the putrid The Descendants. But I think of Melancholia as The Tree of Life for Dummies.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”