PGA Nominations

For the films of 2011
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: PGA Nominations

Post by Reza »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:People, I have recently seen The Tree of Life and all I can say right now is this film doesn't need any awards recognition. In fact, is the other way around: the awards themselves are the ones that actually need to nominate films like this in order to get some of the so far lost credibility... If the academy (or for that matter, any other association) doesn't nominate this film, it is their problem.
Shouldn't the opposite be true for a film like The Tree of Life? If it is nominated or wins awards it will get far better recognition as it is not a very easy sell.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

People, I have recently seen The Tree of Life and all I can say right now is this film doesn't need any awards recognition. In fact, is the other way around: the awards themselves are the ones that actually need to nominate films like this in order to get some of the so far lost credibility... If the academy (or for that matter, any other association) doesn't nominate this film, it is their problem.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

I've come to accept the fate of The Tree of Life as well. Though, if it does get nominated, it will be a nice surprise.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:But, rolo, no one really expected The New World to figure in any major races...
It was Malick's first film since THE THIN RED LINE. I am pretty sure prior to awards season folks had high hopes for the film. Then the film was released, pulled, re-edited, and re-released. That pretty much sealed its fate.

At this point, I have pretty much prepared myself for the worst case scenario: THE TREE OF LIFE being shut out of the Oscars. I would like to think cinematography is still a safe bet for a nomination, but for this film to possibly lose out a Best Picture nomination to BRIDESMAIDS makes me feel like the Academy is capable of completely snubbing THE TREE OF LIFE.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But, rolo, no one really expected The New World to figure in any major races...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:2005 was, incidentally, the year Spielberg's Munich had a last-minute surge to earn a Best Picture nomination (and an Oscar nomination).
That year Bennett Miller also was nominated for director and his film was nominated for Best Picture along with adapted screenplay as well as lead and supporting performances.

Also, Terrence Malick's film was only nominated for its cinematography that year.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:In fact the biggest omission was not Tree of Life, but Harry Potter. If there was any chance that it would show up in the Oscar's Best Film category (not that I ever believed it would), it's been officially snuffed out for good as of now.

And I don't feel like teasing poor Magilla today. :)
Harry Potter (and Extremely Loud) still has BAFTA.
Extremely Loud has nothing.

As for Potter, I don't think anyone's doubting it will make its presence known at the BAFTAs. I don't know if it will be nominated for Best Picture, but it is true that it does better with this awards group than with any other. But that's never really carried over to the Oscars, and it's not starting this year.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sonic Youth wrote:In fact the biggest omission was not Tree of Life, but Harry Potter. If there was any chance that it would show up in the Oscar's Best Film category (not that I ever believed it would), it's been officially snuffed out for good as of now.

Harry Potter (and Extremely Loud) still has BAFTA.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sonic, I still think the directors could get behind Malick.

Let's go back to 1998 for a minute. The Best Picture nominees from the PGA were:
Gods and Monsters
Life Is Beautiful {O}
Saving Private Ryan {O}
Shakespeare in Love {O}
Waking Ned Devine

Gods and Monsters and Waking Ned Devine were a bit unusual of choices for the PGA. They were replaced at the Oscars by Elizabeth and The Thin Red Line.

The DGA picked:

Roberto Benigni - Life Is Beautiful {O}
John Madden - Shakespeare in Love {O}
Terrence Malick - The Thin Red Line {O}
Steven Spielberg - Saving Private Ryan {O}
Peter Weir - The Truman Show {O}

It was a perfect match to the Oscar list. It was the frist time since 1981 that the DGA had gone 5-for-5 with Oscar. It would be 2005 before it happend again. Then again in 2009. 2005 was, incidentally, the year Spielberg's Munich had a last-minute surge to earn a Best Picture nomination (and an Oscar nomination). 2009 was the year Lee Daniels surprised everyone by overcoming intense hurdles to land a Best Director nomination. The film proved to be heavily loved based on its inclusion at DGA.

So, while PGA may not have much weight in this race, DGA most certainly will. And if something fairly innocuous (I'm thinking Tate Taylor for The Help) makes it in, I could see a repeat of these prior situations. Spielberg in. Malick in. Taylor in.

SIDE NOTES:
1981 was also the year Spielberg earned an Oscar nomination for Raiders of the Lost Ark, a feat I'm not sure a lot expected until DGA picked him
Spielberg also appeared in the lineup the only other time prior to 1981 where the 5-nominee slate all earned corresponding Oscar nominations: 1977. The only 5-for-5 year that Spielber hasn't been a part of was 2009. It's a rather interesting statistic.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Any list with crap like Bridesmaids on it is meaningless. Besides, PGA means golf, not movies, to most of America. :roll:
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

In fact the biggest omission was not Tree of Life, but Harry Potter. If there was any chance that it would show up in the Oscar's Best Film category (not that I ever believed it would), it's been officially snuffed out for good as of now.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

There's not much reason to get excited one way or the other with this group, especially with a slate of ten films. It's the industry's BFCA's. This is not where you're going to find Tree of Life or Drive. But yes, these are the sort of picks they'd been slowly moving away from recently, and it does look like they've reverted back to their old ways. But you could whittle this down to five noms and come up with a reasonable enough slate.

Last year, nine of the ten films went on to secure Oscar noms. I really don't see that happening this time. The DGAs may provide one more beacon of hope. If they pick a director - or even two - whose films are not nominated here, then we'll still have an exciting race for the time being. I'm afraid, however, that the five DGA noms will be among the ten listed here. I don't want things to come into focus yet.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

FilmFan720 wrote:One thing to remember here, also, is that the PGA has a very long ballot timeslot. Voting opened at the beginning of December, and didn't close until yesterday. That means that something like Dragon Tattoo could have gotten a lot of early votes that it might not have gotten had they known the poor box office returns!
Which means that EL&IC had plenty of time to be screened....
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The only film in this lineup that I can honestly say without reservation that I really like is Moneyball. That is one of ten!

What does this do? Well, who knows! We don't know how many nominees there are going to be, so it's kinda hard to plan it all out. This is the first time I've fucking loathed the ten nominee thing because it robs me of the opportunity to find out if the industry genuinely likes Hugo and War Horse (or for the matter The Girl with the Dagon Tattoo and The Ides of March) or if this is a game of blind balloting. Well, there's always the DGA.

What does this do? Well, last year voters selected all by The Town, and in 2009 they failed to pick Invictus and Star Trek. So, they're not fool proof. Likely one of these isn't going to make it, and I'm going to guess it's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's an underperforming thriller.

Here's the tally as it is right now:
The Artist, Bridesmaids, The Descendants, The Help, and Midnight in Paris are all Golden Globe, Screen Actor's Guild Ensemble, and Producer's Guild nominees.

Hugo, The Ides of March, Moneyball, and War Horse are Producer's Guild and Golden Globe nominees.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

One thing to remember here, also, is that the PGA has a very long ballot timeslot. Voting opened at the beginning of December, and didn't close until yesterday. That means that something like Dragon Tattoo could have gotten a lot of early votes that it might not have gotten had they known the poor box office returns!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”