Dallas/Ft Worth Cirtics Awards

For the films of 2011
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Dallas/Ft Worth Cirtics Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

29 critics put Extremely Loud as the third best film of the year. Sure, it's a start, but who knows for sure. Though, looking back at the last few years, the Dallas critics have been fairly astute in their selections. The most ELIC-like comparison I could find most recently were The Kite Runner and Charlie Wilson's War in 2007 and Dreamgirls, Blood Diamond and Flags of Our Fathers in 2006. So, it's been four years since they were a little wacky and they didn't give a top ten prior to '06, so I can't really say if the trend went father back.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Dallas/Ft Worth Cirtics Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Finally some love for Extrememly Loud and Incredibly Close.

Best Film of 2011: THE DESCENDANTS

Top 10 Films of the Year:
01.THE DESCENDANTS
02.THE ARTIST
03.EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE
04.MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
05.THE TREE OF LIFE
06.HUGO
07.50/50
08.DRIVE
09.SHAME
10.MONEYBALL

Best Actor: George Clooney – THE DESCENDANTS. Runners-up: Jean Dujardin for THE ARTIST (2), Michael Fassbender for SHAME (3), Brad Pitt for MONEYBALL (4) and Michael Shannon for TAKE SHELTER (5).

Best Actress: Michelle Williams – MY WEEK WITH MARILYN. Runners-up:Tilda Swinton for WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN (2), Meryl Streep for THE IRON LADY (3), Charlize Theron for YOUNG ADULT (4) and Kirsten Dunst for MELANCHOLIA (5).

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer – BEGINNERS. Runners-up: Albert Brooks for DRIVE (2), Max von Sydow for EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE (3), Armie Hammer for J. EDGAR (4) and Kenneth Branagh for MY WEEK WITH MARILYN (5).

Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley – THE DESCENDANTS. Runners-up: Berenice Bejo for THE ARTIST (2), Octavia Spencer for THE HELP (3), Melissa McCarthy for BRIDESMAIDS (4) and Carey Mulligan for SHAME (5).

Best Director: Alexander Payne – THE DESCENDANTS. Runners-up: Michel Hazanavicius for THE ARTIST (2), Terrence Malick for THE TREE OF LIFE (3), Martin Scorsese for HUGO (4) and Woody Allen for MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (5).

Best Foreign-Language Film: A SEPARATION Runners-up: THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2), INCENDIES (3), 13 ASSASSINS (4) and a tie between OF GODS AND MEN and CERTIFIED COPY (5).

Best Documentary: CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS Runners-up: PROJECT NIM (2), THE INTERRUPTERS (3), PAGE ONE: INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES (4) and BUCK (5).

Best Animated Film: RANGO Runner-up: THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN

Best Screenplay: THE DESCENDANTS Runner-up: MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

Best Cinematography: THE TREE OF LIFE Runner-up: WAR HORSE.

Russell Smith Award: WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”