SAG Nominations

For the films of 2011
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: SAG Nominations

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote: but is probably best known for his role as Esteban Reyes in the cable TV series, Weeds.
That probably helped.

I needed to remind myself of this, but I do remember the film was released in the summer for a week or two, to lukewarm reviews. I can only imagine the campaign push.

ETA: "lukewarm"... with 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. I must've been reading the wrong reviews. Or, more likely, the right ones.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Very happy they nominated Janet McTeer but who the hell is Demian Bichir and where did he suddenly appear from?
The veteran Mexican actor stars in Chris Weitz's A Better Life, a quasi-remake of The Bicycle Thief, but is probably best known for his role as Esteban Reyes in the cable TV series, Weeds.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
criddic3 wrote: Not even among the ensemble nominees. Is he not a SAG member or something?
They have this rule in the Motion Picture Cast category that you must have a starring-bill credit order to qualify as a nominee in the category. It's a silly rule that cost some people to not be "officially" nominated for the Motion Picture Cast award. They've included Margo Martindale, Jay Baruchel and Bryan F. O'Bryne for Million Dollar Baby, Michael Pena for Crash and Sharon Warren for Ray. All giving vital performances in their respective films but because of this rule, were not qualified for an "official" nomination in this category. This has caused big-named actors with glorified cameos to be SAG nominees for their films, while young and/or unknown actors who have bigger, more significant supporting roles are left out because of their billing.
If that is the reason, you are right. It's a silly rule.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Very happy they nominated Janet McTeer but who the hell is Demian Bichir and where did he suddenly appear from?
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

This shakes things up a little bit. Not too much, but enough to keep things interesting. A few additions, a few omissions - and it looks like the McCarthy train is rolling. It's shaping up to be a weird year.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

criddic3 wrote: Not even among the ensemble nominees. Is he not a SAG member or something?
They have this rule in the Motion Picture Cast category that you must have a starring-bill credit order to qualify as a nominee in the category. It's a silly rule that cost some people to not be "officially" nominated for the Motion Picture Cast award. They've included Margo Martindale, Jay Baruchel and Bryan F. O'Bryne for Million Dollar Baby, Michael Pena for Crash and Sharon Warren for Ray. All giving vital performances in their respective films but because of this rule, were not qualified for an "official" nomination in this category. This has caused big-named actors with glorified cameos to be SAG nominees for their films, while young and/or unknown actors who have bigger, more significant supporting roles are left out because of their billing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The surprises:
The Oscars are voted on by seasoned film actors, not aspiring acors who wait tables for a living, so, yes, but not necessairly.
I admire you a lot, but you're not being very coherent.

Yesterday you dismissed the Critics Choice by saying that they were only trying to predict the Oscars and that you rellied much more on what SAG and Globes would nominate.

Now that SAG announced nominations, and almost every veteran that you are routing for since the last few months are not nominated, first thing you do is dismissed them as well by calling them aspiring actors waiting tables...
To be fair, SAG is probably a better bellweather than the BFC, but the nominating committee is made up of a mix of working actors and non-working actors whose principal income is not from acting so they do appreciate newcomers and long struggling actors who have finally made it, which isn't to say that the Academy doesn't but the Academy probably weighs longtiem thespians a bit more which is why I think Oldman, von Sydow and Redgrave have more of a chance with the Academy than SAG.

That said, this is a very strange year. All these awards are coming way too early. Even if the voters have seen all teh year-end releases the nominations are skewered toward films that opened prior to December 1st. I can;t recall a year in which that has ever happened before.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Very happy for Nick Nolte, but surprised no Albert Brooks. Just saw Swinton's movie, and she's very good in a sort of unusual movie. Corey Stoll not nominated but Midnight in Paris is. Not even among the ensemble nominees. Is he not a SAG member or something?
It may be an oversight that'll be corrected. Otherwise, that is very weird.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:
mlrg wrote:

Demian Bichir over Gary Oldman.
Does anyone still willing to bet that Oldamn gets oscar recognition? Not me...
The Oscars are voted on by seasoned film actors, not aspiring acors who wait tables for a living, so, yes, but not necessairly.
I admire you a lot, but you're not being very coherent.

Yesterday you dismissed the Critics Choice by saying that they were only trying to predict the Oscars and that you rellied much more on what SAG and Globes would nominate.

Now that SAG announced nominations, and almost every veteran that you are routing for since the last few months are not nominated, first thing you do is dismissed them as well by calling them aspiring actors waiting tables...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote: Bridesmaids and Midnight in Paris over Extrememely Loud and Incredibly Close and War Horse.
I don't know why you continue to be suprised over the Loud Close and War Horse shut outs. They are not getting to the people who need to see them to vote for them, although There's Something About Kevin somehow is. (And War Horse doesn't seem like a SAG movie anyway.) And maybe it's the same situation for Dragon Tattoo, and Tinker Tailor.

Perhaps this will be an incentive for some of these award groups, especially SAG, to reschedule their deadlines back to where it was previously? I mean, if they want to be seen as Oscar predicters/influencers?
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Very happy for Nick Nolte, but surprised no Albert Brooks. Just saw Swinton's movie, and she's very good in a sort of unusual movie. Corey Stoll not nominated but Midnight in Paris is. Not even among the ensemble nominees. Is he not a SAG member or something?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:Redgrave and Von Sydow are almost out and they didn't buy anything related to Drive.

How many of you already went to imdb to see who is Demian Bichir?

No consensus this season...
Not me. I not only know who Demian Bichir is, but have seen (and reviewed) his film. This year, more than past years, seems to be dominated by "if they can make it, so can I" nominees so treasured by the waiters and waitresses clinging to their SAG cards while waiting for their big break.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Anyone who says Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble is really a proxy name for Best Picture should really think twice this year.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”