SAG Nominations

For the films of 2011
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: SAG Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, but if they do, they do, this movie isn't likely going to move the died in the wool haters.

What it does do is put a face to the day laborers you seee liked up all over the place in California.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Big Magilla wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I think the reason Demian Bichir has shown up here apart from that first-of-the-season screener release (I still haven't watched mine) is that SAG also has Television Awards and I'm sure Weeds is a regular contender for Ensemble. That being said, if you are familiar with Bichir's work in Weeds (which I am), you'd be impressed by how different he looks just in the trailer. SAG voters love such departures. It shows an actor has range. Jodie Foster won the SAG award for Nell, a performance vastly different from all the ones she's given prior. And I'll be honest, I knew of Bichir as there has been talk for a couple of months about him popping up in a few places, but SAG wasn't what I expected. I knew the name associated with A Better Life but until someone made the connection to Weeds below, I had no idea. I hadn't familiarized myself with his name from Weeds but now I'm just astounded its the same person.
Plus A Better Life shines a lot on a hot button issue - the deportation of illegals, in this case a long-time U.S. resident and hard working man who despite his efforts to keep a low profile is caught up in a situation beyond his control and is instantaneously cut off from his family. My only problem with the film is that it is preaching to the choir. It's not going to melt one tea partier's heart one bit.
If Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry can have compassion for illegals to a great extent, then some tea party members obviously do as well.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

ksrymy wrote:
Okri wrote:I like Drive quite a bit and I still don't get the Brooks love.
Could not agree more. I had a hard time telling Bernie Rose was Albert Brooks to begin with. It's simply because Brooks is not playing Aaron in Broadcast News which is every character he's ever done pretty much. It's like Denzel in Training Day, he's only there because he's doing something different. He has some good line readings but that's it. I much prefer Bryan Cranston's work in the film (albeit I am a big Breaking Bad fan).
And of course Denzel won ... (I know it's partly because of the Russell Crowe backlash that year, but still.)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote: Hugo, War Horse and Tree of Life are in this race with no mention of possible acting nods anywhere (especially with Chastain going with The Help). .
Ben Kingsley (Hugo) and Brad Pitt (The Tree of Life) could still factor in.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Okri wrote:I like Drive quite a bit and I still don't get the Brooks love.
Could not agree more. I had a hard time telling Bernie Rose was Albert Brooks to begin with. It's simply because Brooks is not playing Aaron in Broadcast News which is every character he's ever done pretty much. It's like Denzel in Training Day, he's only there because he's doing something different. He has some good line readings but that's it. I much prefer Bryan Cranston's work in the film (albeit I am a big Breaking Bad fan).
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I think the reason Demian Bichir has shown up here apart from that first-of-the-season screener release (I still haven't watched mine) is that SAG also has Television Awards and I'm sure Weeds is a regular contender for Ensemble. That being said, if you are familiar with Bichir's work in Weeds (which I am), you'd be impressed by how different he looks just in the trailer. SAG voters love such departures. It shows an actor has range. Jodie Foster won the SAG award for Nell, a performance vastly different from all the ones she's given prior. And I'll be honest, I knew of Bichir as there has been talk for a couple of months about him popping up in a few places, but SAG wasn't what I expected. I knew the name associated with A Better Life but until someone made the connection to Weeds below, I had no idea. I hadn't familiarized myself with his name from Weeds but now I'm just astounded its the same person.
Plus A Better Life shines a lot on a hot button issue - the deportation of illegals, in this case a long-time U.S. resident and hard working man who despite his efforts to keep a low profile is caught up in a situation beyond his control and is instantaneously cut off from his family. My only problem with the film is that it is preaching to the choir. It's not going to melt one tea partier's heart one bit.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I like Drive quite a bit and I still don't get the Brooks love.

I think it would be hilarious if the first foreign language film to win best picture was one without dialogue.

I still don't know why Sony Pictures Classic is giving A Separation a one week release. That's dumb.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It seems to me that, having seen War Horse and Extremely Loud most recently, people in the industry will be talking about these films during the voting period whereas The Artist, Hudo, The Descendants will already seem like old hat, so the former two may have a strategic advantage.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

No, sag members did not see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is it? I'm not sure it is. Already the Oscar race is like the GOP. "What do we have?"
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Do we know if they saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?

Man, Scott Rudin refuses to peak too early again!
Seems a classic "ovrelearning your lesson"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Do we know if they saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?

Man, Scott Rudin refuses to peak too early again!
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Albert Nobbs may be a paint-by-numbers film, but Close and McTeer are quite good in it. Close, like Oldman, is a much more subtle presence in her film, which is probably why McTeer, who's a bit more dominant in the role, is getting more attention.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:What not throw in Christopehr Plummer and Meryl Streep? Why not just shoot all the old people?
Based on your views of the relationships of characters in movies, I take it you mean by old, someone who could be a great-great-grandparent and not a young star/starlet who could only be a grandparent.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mojoe92 wrote:Where the hell are

Elisabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene
John Hawkes- Martha Marcy May Marlene
Rooney Mara- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Get rid of Tilda Swinton and Glen Close and add Olsen, and Mara
Get rid of Nick Nolte and add Hawkes
What not throw in Christopehr Plummer and Meryl Streep? Why not just shoot all the old people?

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”