San Diego Film Critics Nominations

For the films of 2011
Greg
Tenured

Re: San Diego Film Critics Nominations

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:She's the writer-producer-star of the sci-fi film, Another Earth. Her IMDb. bio, presumably written by herself, reads as follows:

Brit Marling graduated in economics from Georgetown university and was offered a job with Goldman Sachs which she turned down in favour of a career as an artist.

She moved to Los Angeles to act and after spending a couple of years exploring the movie industry and being offered roles as "the cute blonde in horror movies" she taught herself to write, reasoning that the best way to get decent parts was to write them herself. She worked on two movies simultaneously - one in the mornings, one in the afternoons - and eventually both Another Earth (2011) and Sound of My Voice (2011) premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2011.
Yah, I looked her up on IMDB after I asked this question. That makes me kind of glad I did not know who she was. It was the first time I remember getting a crush on someone just from the person's bio and pictures on an IMDB page.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yay, Le Quattro Volte!!!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She's the writer-producer-star of the sci-fi film, Another Earth. Her IMDb. bio, presumably written by herself, reads as follows:

Brit Marling graduated in economics from Georgetown university and was offered a job with Goldman Sachs which she turned down in favour of a career as an artist.

She moved to Los Angeles to act and after spending a couple of years exploring the movie industry and being offered roles as "the cute blonde in horror movies" she taught herself to write, reasoning that the best way to get decent parts was to write them herself. She worked on two movies simultaneously - one in the mornings, one in the afternoons - and eventually both Another Earth (2011) and Sound of My Voice (2011) premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2011.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Who is Brit Marling?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

WINNERS

BEST FILM –
THE ARTIST

BEST DIRECTOR –
Nicolas Winding Refn, DRIVE

BEST ACTRESS –
Brit Marling, ANOTHER EARTH

BEST ACTOR –
Michael Shannon, TAKE SHELTER

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS –
Shailene Woodley, THE DESCENDANTS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR –
Nick Nolte, WARRIOR

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY –
Woody Allen, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY –
Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, MONEYBALL

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM –
LE QUATTRO VOLTE

BEST DOCUMENTARY –
PROJECT NIM

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY –
Emmanuel Lubezki, THE TREE OF LIFE

BEST ANIMATED FILM –
ARTHUR CHRISTMAS

BEST EDITING –
Oliver Bugge Coutté, BEGINNERS

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN –
Dante Ferretti, HUGO

BEST SCORE –
Alexandre Desplat, HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2

BEST ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE –
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2

BODY OF WORK FOR 2011
Jessica Chastain

KYLE COUNTS AWARD
Lee Ann Kim, San Diego Asian Film Foundation
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:I like this group. They are among the least pretentious of these groups that are popping up all over the place. They are still feeling their way.
I have no problem with the group per se. I just find this new practice of everyone putting out nominees really annoying. It's supposed to be a show of legitimacy but what it really is, is an extra press release saying "Please notice us".
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Those are the minimum requirements. I think most, if not all, of the memerbs contribte much more than that.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. Those are rather anemic requirements. The OFCS is minimum 2 years experience, no fewer than 50 reviews per year of at least 400 words. I'm astounded anyone can call themselves a critic if they only review twelve films a year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin, you could join this group - all you have to do is move to San Diego, get one of these guys to sponsor you, post twelve reviews on-line per year and pay your $50 membership fee, not necessarily in that order.

San Diego Film Critics Society Membership Requirements

•Any prospective member must be a working critic with one year of experience with an accredited outlet recognized by motion picture studios and/or local PR firms representing film studios. Applicants must live in San Diego County or write/broadcast for a San Diego County based outlet. Applicants must work in this venue for at least 3 months before applying for membership. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants will submit 12 review samples that cover at least a 3 month period (and no greater than 12 months), a letter of intent explaining why they want to be part of the organization and the name of the SDFCS member who is sponsoring them. The application deadline is June 30, 2011.

•Applicant must be sponsored by a current SDFCS member for consideration.

•In order for a member, current or prospective, to maintain his or her membership, he/she must file a minimum of 12 theatrical film reviews (not video) per year on TV, radio, in print, via podcast, or on the Internet.

•These reviews must be in-depth (at least 250 words/3-4 minutes per film for broadcast), and a thoughtful, critical perspective of original content; synopses or regurgitated press kit information do not qualify as original content.

•Current SDFCS members will decide collectively by vote after the deadline has passed to allow individuals to join. Only members who review the applicant’s clips will be allowed to vote on that member.

•Any member who loses their outlet will have a 3-month grace period to reestablish their status. As long as they continue to attend screenings they may remain a member until their paid-dues year ends.

•Dues for 2011 are $50.00.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like this group. They are among the least pretentious of these groups that are popping up all over the place. They are still feeling their way. Last year was the first year they announced nominees - four in each category. The vote is tomorrow so this is really just a brief opportunity for the membership (listed below) to mull things over a bit instead of hastily voting on the spur of the moment.

From teh San Diego Reader:

San Diego Film Critics Society Announces 2011 Nominations

By Scott Marks | Posted December 12, 2011, 11:27 a.m.

RSS | E-mail the Author

This year's "think lists" -- each member of the San Diego Film Critics Society submits a slate of suggested nominees in all the major categories -- were cause for alarm. Was I going to have to spell out for the group why Amy Adams' performance in The Muppet Movie was not award-worthy, or how Bridesmaids doesn't qualify as original let alone a Best Original Screenplay?

Thankfully, most of the objectionable choices didn't make the cut, and while the thought of judging art by committee is hateful, the group managed to whittle away several extremely dull and incredibly offensive titles.

My choices are in bold. The winners will be posted this Wednesday afternoon after the ballots have been counted.

BEST FILM

DRIVE, HUGO, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, THE ARTIST, and THE TREE OF LIFE.

BEST DIRECTOR

Martin Scorsese (HUGO), Michel Hazanavicius (THE ARTIST), Nicolas Winding Refn (DRIVE), Terrence Malick (THE TREE OF LIFE), and Woody Allen (MIDNIGHT IN PARIS).

BEST ACTRESS

Brit Marling (ANOTHER EARTH), Elizabeth Olsen (MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE), Michelle Williams (MY WEEK WITH MARILYN), Tilda Swinton (WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN), and Viola Davis (THE HELP).

BEST ACTOR

Brad Pitt (MONEYBALL), Brendan Gleeson (THE GUARD), George Clooney, (THE DESCENDANTS), Jean Dejardin (THE ARTIST), and Michael Shannon (TAKE SHELTER).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Bérénice Bejo (THE ARTIST), Carey Mulligan (SHAME), Jessica Chastain (THE HELP), Mélanie Laurent (BEGINNERS), and Shailene Woodley (THE DESCENDANTS).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Albert Brooks (DRIVE), Andy Serkis (RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES), Christopher Plummer (BEGINNERS), Max von Sydow (EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE), and Nick Nolte (WARRIOR).

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Michel Hazanavicius (THE ARTIST), Mike Mills (BEGINNERS), Thomas McCarthy (WIN WIN), Will Reiser (50/50), and Woody Allen (MIDNIGHT IN PARIS).

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, (THE DESCENDANTS), Hossein Amini (DRIVE), John Logan (HUGO), Steve Kloves (HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2), and Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin (MONEYBALL).

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

A SOMEWHAT GENTLE MAN, HAPPY HAPPY, LE QUATTRO VOLTE, OF GODS AND MEN, and THE DOUBLE HOUR.

BEST DOCUMENTARY

BUCK, CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS, INTO THE ABYSS, PAGE ONE: INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES, and PROJECT NIM.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Adam Stone (TAKE SHELTER), Emmanuel Lubezki (THE TREE OF LIFE), Guillaume Schiffman (THE ARTIST), Newton Thomas Sigel (DRIVE) and Robert Richardson HUGO.

BEST ANIMATED FILM

ARTHUR CHRISTMAS, HAPPY FEET TWO, KUNG FU PANDA 2, RANGO, and WINNIE THE POOH.

BEST EDITING

Anne-Sophie Bion & Michel Hazanavicius (THE ARTIST), Hank Corwin, Jay Rabinowitz, Daniel Rezende, Billy Weber, & Mark Yoshikawa (THE TREE OF LIFE), Mat Newman (DRIVE), Oliver Bugge Coutté (BEGINNERS), Thelma Schoonmaker (HUGO).

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Anne Seibel (MIDNIGHT IN PARIS), Dante Ferretti (HUGO), Jack Fisk (THE TREE OF LIFE), Laurence Bennett (THE ARTIST), and Stuart Craig (HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2)

BEST SCORE

Alexandre Desplat (EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE), Alexandre Desplat (HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2), Alexandre Desplat (THE TREE OF LIFE), Howard Shore (HUGO) ,and Ludovic Bource (raping the bones of Bernard Herrmann in (THE ARTIST).

BEST ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE

CARNAGE, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2, MARGIN CALL, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, and THE HELP.

BODY OF WORK FOR 2011

TBD during the final vote

KYLE COUNTS AWARD

TBD during the final vote

The San Diego Film Critics Society are Danny Baldwin (BucketReviews.com), Dan Bennett (North County Times), Josh Board (KOGO, Fox 5 San Diego), Kevin Finnerty (KOGO, ShowbizJunkies.com), Ian Forbes (SoberingConclusion.com, ShowbizJunkies.com), Alison Gang (Union Tribune), Jim Colt Harrison (San Diego City News, LGBT Weekly, Classic Movie Guide, BlogTalkRadio, ReviewExpress.com), Glenn Heath Jr. (Slant Magazine, The House Next Door, SanDiego.com, NOT Coming to a Theater Near You), Jeri Jacquin (East County California, Imperial Beach Sun, Fleet Reserve Press, Military Press, Chula Vista Star News, Chulavista.com, MovieMaven, The Star News.com, Upcoming-Movies.com), Jean Lowerison (Saenger Syndicate, San Diego Gay & Lesbian News), Lois Alter Mark (Nick Jr.com, StyleSubstanceSoul.com, HuffingtonPost.com, ThirdAge.com), Rebecca Murray (About.com, ShowbizJunkies.com), Robert Patrick (CinemaSpartan.com), Diana Saenger (East County Gazette, San Diego Suburban Newspapers, Saenger Syndicate and ReviewExpress.com, ReelTalkReviews.com, and ClassicMovieGuide.com), Betty Jo Tucker (ReelTalkreviews.com, Senior Beacon, Blog Talk Radio), Anders Wright (San Diego CityBeat, Go2.com, Upcoming-Movies.com), and yours truly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

What credible nomination? These are the San Diego Film Critics' noms.

Is this the new trend? Nominations from third-rank critic's groups? I don't mind the proliferation of these associations. But when they start putting on airs and imitate the Oscars and Globes by presenting a slate of nominations - as if their real goal weren't self-promotion - that's when I join forces with Mister Tee.

You're a minor group that's nice to have around. Act like one, please.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Is this the first place Andy Serkis has popped up this year with a credible nomination?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yay! Finally some love for Le Quattro Volte, my favorite film of the year so far.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

San Diego Film Critics Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Film
"The Artist"
"Drive"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"The Tree of Life"

Best Director
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"