The Golden Globes

For the films of 2011
Aceisgreat
Temp

Re: The Golden Globes

Post by Aceisgreat »

Gosling twice, Clooney bumps Spielberg, no Tree of Life, Glenn Close nominated for acting and songwriting.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The good: no McCarthy in Supporting Actress.
Why is this good again?
It's ''good again'' because it saves all of us from viewing a clip of her at the awards where she takes a crap in a sink. It was not funny in the film and wouldn't be funny during the awards either.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:The good: no McCarthy in Supporting Actress.
Why is this good again?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think we should have a poll on the worst nominations announcers. Was it the giddy Regina King and Judy Greer at yesterday's SAG announcemnts or the marbles in her mouth Sofia Vergara and the mumbling Gerard Butler at the Globes? Did anyone get that the first nominee for Best Actress in a TV movie or mini-series was Romola Gari from Vergara's slurring of her words?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote: The Oscar front-runner at this point: Harvey again, for The Artist with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close still the wild card.
And the Magilla does not disappoint! :mrgreen:
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The good: Not unexpected, but far from guaranteed nods for Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton; no McCarthy in Supporting Actress.

The bad: No Gary Oldman, Max von Sydow or Vanessa Redgrave - Oldman and Redgrave are not quite out of the Oscar race but it's definitely an uphill battle for all three at this point. Extremely Loud and Incredibly close may not have screened for most or perhaps any the HFPA membership so von Sydow and everyone else associated with that one still has a chance.

The pretty much out of it: Young Adult; We Bought a Zoo and maybe even War Horse, though that one should still pull off a number of technical nods with the various guilds and the Academy which could result in a Best Picture nod, but not likely a win at this point.

The Oscar front-runner at this point: Harvey again, for The Artist with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close still the wild card.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Can Chastain's recent nominations for The Help only be because that's the biggest box office hit of her body of work this year? I feel like she was leagues better in Take Shelter but that film will gain no attention other than a nomination for Michael Shannon.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Some War Horse love, no Extremely Close love (do I need to ask...did they see it?)
Don't give up yet, Magilla. Stick to your guns!
Can't wait to read what will Magilla has to say about the HFPA members now that Redgrave, Oldamn and Von Sydow were snubbed AGAIN!
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I am surprised that they didn't nominate Spielberg, despite Picture nod for War Horse and an animated nod for Adventures of Tin Tin.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, they don't have cinematography awards.
No excuses!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And thank you to Oscar Guy for putting the nominations up so quickly.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Unless I'm mistaken, they don't have cinematography awards.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:Some War Horse love, no Extremely Close love (do I need to ask...did they see it?)
Don't give up yet, Magilla. Stick to your guns!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

War Horse is filler. It has a nomination for score, but no director, screenplay, acting or even cinematography nom.

And who would have thought that in the year 2011 a Woody Allen film would have more nominations than a Martin Scorsese film or two Steven Spielberg films combined? This won't happen at the Oscars, so enjoy the phenomenom while it lasts.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I should have stuck to my original position on McCarthy. I did great with the dramas, but not so well otherwise in my predicts. Surprised by The Guard, 50/50, and Carnage.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”