AFI Top Ten

For the films of 2011
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: AFI Top Ten

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:Warner Bros. hs been very stingy with its screenings of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Very few critics have seen it. I doubt SAG has. I'm not sure the HPFA (Golden Globes) has. The strategy mady have to do something with their losing the Oscar for The Social Network because of all the precursors. They may be holding it back in order to pull off a come-from-behind win.
I know one person on the SAG nominating committee this year who has seen a screener, so obviously it has been seen by some.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's the production company. The director has nothng to with it. Daldry's The Hours made the list in 2002. American/British co-proudctions such as Lawrence of Arabia and The Third Man have made their lists in the past.

Warner Bros. hs been very stingy with its screenings of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Very few critics have seen it. I doubt SAG has. I'm not sure the HPFA (Golden Globes) has. The strategy mady have to do something with their losing the Oscar for The Social Network because of all the precursors. They may be holding it back in order to pull off a come-from-behind win.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know if Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close will be considered an American film. I don't know how AFI makes that determination, but if they base it on the director, then it would be a "British" film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

Or they just thought it wasn't good enough to be in their top ten.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

If they nominated schmaltz like The Help, War Horse and J. Edgar I'm sure the exclusion of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close can be put down to a lack of screenings.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

AFI Top Ten

Post by Mister Tee »

While LA is taking intermission, AFI's list.

The Artist I presume didn't qualify, under foreign-ness. Don't know if they saw-and-didn't like Extremely Loud, or just didn't get to it in time.

The Descendants
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Help
J. Edgar
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse
Bridesmaids

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”