LA Film Critics' Winners

For the films of 2011
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: LA Film Critics' Winners

Post by OscarGuy »

Greg, you should definitely see it or read up on the plot. It's one individual.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Greg wrote:I haven't seen it yet. Considering it is three different characters, it would read much easier if they made the title Martha, Marcy May, and Marlene.
It isn't three different characters.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think Martha Marcy May Marlene is kind of a brilliant title, given what the movie is about (identity crisis!)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I haven't seen it yet. Considering it is three different characters, it would read much easier if they made the title Martha, Marcy May, and Marlene.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Greg, have you seen MMMM? I have no problem getting the title right, but I imagine once you know who Martha, Marcy May and Marlene are, it would make it a bit easier to remember. Plus if you say it with a touch of lyrical style, it might help.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:In its press release announcing the awards, the LAFC stated:

"The L.A. critics group doesn't see itself as a predictor or advocate for the Academy Awards and often goes its own way in choosing which films it honors. Last year, the group named "The Social Network" best picture and handed it three other awards -- best director for David Fincher (in a tie), screenplay for Aaron Sorkin and, in another tie, music for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. But "Social Network" did not win best picture or best director Oscars -- those instead went to "The King's Speech.""
This is a real case of lying when the truth would do better. All they'd need to do is point to their last couple of best actress winners to make their point honestly. Instead, they insult our intelligence, expecting us to forget everyone on the planet expected The Social Network to win up till the night of the Directors Guild award.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

In its press release announcing the awards, the LAFC stated:

"The L.A. critics group doesn't see itself as a predictor or advocate for the Academy Awards and often goes its own way in choosing which films it honors. Last year, the group named "The Social Network" best picture and handed it three other awards -- best director for David Fincher (in a tie), screenplay for Aaron Sorkin and, in another tie, music for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. But "Social Network" did not win best picture or best director Oscars -- those instead went to "The King's Speech.""
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:LOL, except you've still got it wrong, Magilla.

It's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. L before C.
It's an extremely annoying title, but then I just learned the kid has Asburger's Syndrome, which may explain it.
Not as much as Martha Marcy May Marlene. Even the voice in my head when I read this title gets tongue tied.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:LOL, except you've still got it wrong, Magilla.

It's an extremely annoying title, but then I just learned the kid has Asburger's Syndrome, which may explain it.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I just saw Beginners and was not overly impressed with Christopher Plummer's performance. It was fine but not remarkable.

Impressive though was the screenplay - complex yet fluid, wistful and playful, honest and affecting. Quite a wonderful piece of work.

I'm still waiting for the runners-up for screenplay at the NYFCC. I'd like to know whether Beginners contended.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I think EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE could come out of nowhere, with little to no critical precursors, to win the whole thing. The Academy clearly loves Stephen Daldry and his films in general, and it seems sweet and sentimental about 9/11 without being jingoistic or depressing. Personally I think the movie looks absolutely horrid, but it seems like it is perfectly positioned to win over the Academy just like CRASH did.

It could pick up a few nominations:
Best Picture
Director
Screenplay
S. Actor - Sydow
Editing
Score
Sound

Then win B.P., Director, Screenplay, S. Actor, and Score, maybe even Editing.

It will be interesting to see how audiences react to the film. Other than WORLD TRADE CENTER, no film centered on 9/11 has found much success.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

LOL, except you've still got it wrong, Magilla.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think the early mix bodes well for the seasoned veterans - Oldman, Streep, Plummer or von Suydow and Redgrave. Best Picture, I dunno. I think they're lukewarm on The Artist and The Descnedants and divided on War Horse. The unknown is still Extrmemly Close and Incrediby Loud, the title of which I've finally mastered by figuring out it's phrased alphabetically, E before I and C before L.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

To use a football metaphor (since that's what I'm watching right now), all this coverage the critics groups are providing for their idiosyncratic choices is going to create huge opening for the conventional players to run through. Result: Meryl Streep for Best Actress; George Clooney for Best Actor; The Descendents for Best Screenplay, and maybe even Best Picture.

Then again, my predictions haven't amounted to much so far.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:Best Actor: Michael Fassbender (A Dangerous Method, Jane Eyre, Shame, X-Men: First Class) (ru: Michael Shannon (Take Shelter)
Best Actress: Yun Jung-hee (Poetry) (ru: Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia)
Best Screenplay: A Separation (ru: The Descendants)
Best Music: Hanna (The Chemical Brothers) (ru: Drive)
Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life (ru: City of Life and Death)
This is what critics awards should do: Shine a light on films off the beaten path! Sometimes there are mainstream films which deserve critics' praise, but for the most part you would think critics would want to show they actually saw films other than what the average Academy voter takes the time to watch. As others have stated, critics groups have gotten too obsessed with influencing the Oscars rather than praising films which have absolutely no chance of being nominated for an Oscar. This totally makes up for last year.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”