Washington DC Area Film Critics Awards

For the films of 2011
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Washington DC Area Film Critics Awards

Post by Sabin »

I think 50/50 is going to win the Indie Spirit award for Best First Feature and probably get an Oscar nomination for writing. It's an incredibly mediocre narrative right out of Syd Field. Anjelica Huston has gotten some notices, and she's fine and good in the film (Lord knows, I'd really like to see more of her these days), but I was most impressed by Anna Kendrick who takes an incredibly rote role and fleshes it out very well.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The acting is actually quite good in 50/50 and it wouldn't be horrible to see one of the actors nominated, but I agree that it also wouldn't be any crime if they weren't. Screenplay nomination is borderline for me. It's fairly well-written, yet it doesn't feel particularly special.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The story of a 27 year-old with cancer probably resonated with these guys because their median age is 27.
Then they'll make excellent Oscar voters when they turn 65.
Even better ones when they turn 80. :?

I haven't seen the film yet so I don't know if would be my choice or not, but the film did receive good reviews across the board. Anyone can relate to a lead character with a 50/50 chance of surviving a chronic disease but if you're a writer like the character in the film and around the age of the protagonist it's got to hit a little close to home. Whether it's got the chops to secure an Oscar nomination I don't know, but a win over Midnight in Paris; Young Adult or The Artist seems like an uphill battle.
The film is like those disease of the week tv films on Lifetime channel. It is not bad but hardly worth nominating for it's screenplay. The only reason I watched it was because I though Anjelica Huston had been nominated for a Sattelite award.......not that that should have been an incentive either.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The story of a 27 year-old with cancer probably resonated with these guys because their median age is 27.
Even better ones when they turn 80. :?

I haven't seen the film yet so I don't know if would be my choice or not, but the film did receive good reviews across the board. Anyone can relate to a lead character with a 50/50 chance of surviving a chronic disease but if you're a writer like the character in the film and around the age of the protagonist it's got to hit a little close to home. Whether it's got the chops to secure an Oscar nomination I don't know, but a win over Midnight in Paris; Young Adult or The Artist seems like an uphill battle.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The story of a 27 year-old with cancer probably resonated with these guys because their median age is 27.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
Reza wrote:I thought the nomination for the 50/50 screenplay was absurd. And now it's actually won the award. Bunch of losers !!
I guess there are as many Joseph Gordon-Levitt fanboys/girls in the DC area as there are anywhere else.
Maybe it has to do more with the story behind the screenplay than the actual writing itself. After all, this guy beat the odds and made a movie about it.

After all, it is often said Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won their Oscar for writing GOOD WILL HUNTING because of the backstory about how hard they struggled to get it made.

I have not seen 50/50, but is it any less deserving of an award for its screenplay than GOOD WILL HUNTING?
No because Good Will Hunting is a better film.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

ksrymy wrote:
Reza wrote:I thought the nomination for the 50/50 screenplay was absurd. And now it's actually won the award. Bunch of losers !!
I guess there are as many Joseph Gordon-Levitt fanboys/girls in the DC area as there are anywhere else.
Maybe it has to do more with the story behind the screenplay than the actual writing itself. After all, this guy beat the odds and made a movie about it.

After all, it is often said Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won their Oscar for writing GOOD WILL HUNTING because of the backstory about how hard they struggled to get it made.

I have not seen 50/50, but is it any less deserving of an award for its screenplay than GOOD WILL HUNTING?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is there any reason to believe these critics would go for Melancholia and The Tree of Life? The fact that Melancholia was mentioned is pretty surprising to me. Even with newer membership, there isn't any precedent for The National Board of Review going for either film, and The New York Film Critic's Circle hasn't been any big shakes in how long? Because there seems to be little rank and file this year, I'm sure both films will get in some where.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There's nothing wrong with internet critics, but the operative word here is "more". From what I can tell these guys for the most part write "more" about social media and video games than they do movies. Maybe it's me but I would think that a group that claims to be representative of a particular city would be well known within that city as the New York, L.A., Boston, Tornto and Chicago, etc. used to be. I don't see that with this group.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

See, I'm one of those "web guys with an interest in social media and video games," so I do take umbrage at the commentary and invective thrown out at internet critics.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Reza wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
Magilla mentions below that these ''critics'' are ''web guys and gals with more of an interest in social media and video games''.
In regards to web guys, I cannot tell you how many people wanted to kill me when I defended Christopher Nolan's lack of a Best Director nod for anything he's done. I need to hang out with better people...
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ksrymy wrote:
Magilla mentions below that these ''critics'' are ''web guys and gals with more of an interest in social media and video games''.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I thought the nomination for the 50/50 screenplay was absurd. And now it's actually won the award. Bunch of losers !!

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”