Time to Play NBR

For the films of 2011
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Time to Play NBR

Post by OscarGuy »

Loumenick's being quite nasty lately...and their voting wasn't spur of the moment. Doesn't NBR spend a couple of weeks selecting nominees?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I really dislike Like Crazy -- one of the biggest "why did anyone think this was a story?" stories this year. I don't have anything against Felicity Jones, though I'd be SHOCKED if she got an Oscar nomination. But beating Elizabeth Olsen for prizes? Mind-blowing.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

bizarre wrote:Why does Felicity Jones keep winning awards? Are we underestimating her? I hope we aren't.
Like Crazy was released almost simultaneously with Martha Marcy, and has consistently outperformed it at the box office. It's almost as if pitting the two side-by-side -- Sundance favorites with breakout females -- worked to the disadvantage of Olsen/Martha because her film wasn't as easy a watch. I can't imagine this progressing all the way to a Jones nomination in such a crowded field, but it does, sadly, seem to signal very a rough road for Olsen to make the list.

A more general take:

It's early, and for all I know the winners chosen so far will find themselves replicated monotonously when the other critics -- important and not -- start showing up, about 10 days from now. But there's also a real possibility the consensus stays unformed. I can envision the groups I take seriously -- LA and National Society, and, if I'm feeling generous, Boston -- going variously for Moneyball, The Descendants, Tree of Life or Melancholia. In the lead acting categories, there are even more untapped candidates -- Fassbender, Shannon, Dujardin, Harrelson among men; Dunst, Williams and Theron on the female side (Davis and Close are also still Oscar-alive, but unlikely to get critical recognition).

As you know, I didn't have a horrified reaction to last year's critical best picture unanimity, because, whether it reflected justice or not, it did reflect a clear critics' consensus -- The Social Network had been overwhelmingly the most praised film of the year, and it made sense it would win all the prizes. This year, I've got no such sense that critics have rallied around one candidate in any category. Plus, I think there's some carryover from last year: there was so much criticism over the seeming group-think (and a sense that the Academy was partly rebuking that fact when it went another way) that many groups may be inclined to over-correction -- picking something different just to prove they can do it.

And can you imagine how great that would be? The Broadcast Critics wouldn't know who to vote for; they might vote ties in every acting category to keep their "we predict the Oscars" stat high. Today, I can see a best actress race that, minimally, includes Streep, Davis and Williams. Think what it would be like if it stayed that way all along. Same with the men: some people are already predicting the second coming of Benigni, with Harvey moving his unknown foreign star into the Chateau Marmont and having him individually schmooze every member of AMPAS. But this time he won't be up against a little-known-for-movies Brit in a low-grossing art film; he'll be competing with two of Hollywood's biggest stars in big commercial hits (one of whom has won, true, but it was in support and three nominations ago). Without critics artificially narrowing the field (as they did with, say, Philip Seymour Hoffman in '05), these fields could stay wide-open. When was the last time we had a major acting category we felt could have gone any number of ways right to the moment the envelope was opened? I'm not talking about two-person races (like best actor '08), or those where upsets were possible (actress '07, supporting actor '06). I mean a genuine "I made a bet but I could easily be wrong in several directions". Probably supporting actress '07. We need more of those.

Of course, the whole Oscar-industrial complex will labor to prevent this. I actually saw a tweet on Poland's site today, along the lines of "Grr...why no consensus yet?" But we can hope.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Lou Loumenick's comments in the N.Y. Post:

Even fewer people than usual are going to be paying much attention to the freeloading hobbyists at the National Board of Review, who today chose Martin Scorsese's white elephant of a kidflick "Hugo'' as best picture of the year. With the exception of "Margin Call,'' the NBR went out of its way to avoid choosing anything that won awards from the New York Film Critics Circle, which usurped the NBR's only claim to fame, as the first awards of the season, the other day. They also pretty much guaranteed that the totally snubbed Weinstein Co. will not be buying any tables at their January soiree.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/os ... z1fL6rZW5f
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

A horribly sad day for Martha Marcy May Marlene and, therefore, for me. I guess it may be dead in the water... oh, well.

Although I'm glad Tilda won, the film sight unseen. She's a maverick who deserves some recognition for her more adventurous projects. I fear she may be another Manville awards-wise however.

Why does Felicity Jones keep winning awards? Are we underestimating her? I hope we aren't.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For the past seven years, The National Board of Review has gone 5/6. In 2003, they went 6/6. In 2002, they went 5/6. In 2001, they 3/6. They haven't missed Best Picture or Best Supporting Actor once. Which one isn't getting in? My money right now is on Tilda Swinton.

2010 – 5/6
2009 – 5/6
2008 – 5/6
2007 – 5/6
2006 – 5/6
2005 – 5/6
2004 – 5/6

Best Picture
2010 – The Social Network
2009 – Up in the Air
2008 – Slumdog Millionaire
2007 – No Country for Old Men
2006 – Letters from Iwo Jima
2005 – Good Night, and Good Luck.
2004 – Finding Neverland

Best Director
2010 – David Fincher, The Social Network
2009 – Clint Eastwood, Invictus
2008 – David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2007 – Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
2006 – Martin Scorsese, The Departed
2005 – Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain

Best Actor
2010 – Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
2009 – George Clooney, Up in the Air AND Morgan Freeman, Invictus
2008 – Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
2007 – George Clooney, Michael Clayton
2006 – Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
2005 – Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
2004 – Jamie Foxx, Ray

Best Actress
2010 – Lesley Manville, Another Year
2009 – Carey Mulligan, An Education
2008 – Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
2007 – Julie Christie, Away from Her
2006 – Helen Mirren, The Queen
2005 – Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
2004 – Annette Bening, Being Julia

Best Supporting Actor
2010 – Christian Bale, The Fighter
2009 – Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
2008 – Josh Brolin, Milk
2007 – Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2006 – Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond
2005 – Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
2004 – Thomas Haden Church, Sideways

Best Supporting Actress
2010 – Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom
2009 – Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
2008 – Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
2007 – Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
2006 – Catherine O’Hara, For Your Consideration
2005 – Gong Li, Memoirs of a Geisha
2004 – Laura Linney, Kinsey
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Despite protests to the contrary, the annual tribute to Warner Bros. continues. J. Edgar didn't place anywhere outside of the top ten, but Girl with the Dragon Tattoo wins a breakthrough award for Rooney Mara and Harry Potter is not only amongst the top ten but is singled out for a Special Achievement award. We'll have to wait for the Broadcast Film Critics and the Golden Globes to see if these films have awards traction or are simply the latest manifestation of NBR's allegience to WB. The acting awards are split between the "safe" - Clooney, Plummer, Woodley and the Edgy - Swinton, Fassbender, so you can see there is pull between the two factions or maybe they really don;t care whterh something is safe or edgy and are voting their hearts for what they deem to be the best.

As for Moneyball, I was surprised that did so well with the NYFC yesterday that I overestimated its chances here. I had previously thought of it as more of an L.A. type movie. Again, we'l have to see what the Boadcast ciritcs and the Globes make of it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is apparently having trouble generating enthusiasm this side of the Atlantic. I suspect that those who've seen it and are confused by it haven't read the book or seen the Alec Guinness TV version. The main complaint sems to be that Gary Oldman doesn't have a lot of dialogue and that his face doesn't change expression during the entire film. Hmmm. It's now looking like Dujardin, Fassbender and three pretty boys - Clooney, Pitt and either DiCaprio, Gosling or Damon instead of Oldman. I don't think Swinton is helped much. NBR's Best Actress choices, unless they are picked up by other groups, don't do well.

Hugo is in play but it's too soon to tell if Scorsese's win here will be repeated elsewhere. All in all, a non-consensus year is good, very good.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

It's funny to think of a big-budget Martin Scorsese picture as being some kind of sleeper Best Picture candidate (especially after so many years of THIS is the ONE!), but I wonder if Hugo might finally have emerged as a lot stranger candidate than it initially seemed. The critics have cheered loudly, the film is destined to pick up a truckload of technical noms, and now here it's got a pair of notable Picture/Director wins that will at least keep it in the conversation. Just about the only thing hurting it is that soft box-office (not an insignificant factor, mind you).

On principle, I wish the NYFCC had seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close before voting (not that it would have factored anywhere). But I really wish the NBR had, mainly because this group would be more likely to go for Daldry's film somewhere, and an award/top ten placement/outright snub might have told us something about whether or not the more milquetoast members of the Academy might ultimately go for it.

It's worth noting just how poorly Martha Marcy May Marlene has done with these first two derbies. Once again, as with NYFCC, it lost Best First Feature. But Elizabeth Olsen lost not one, but TWO breakthrough performance prizes (both to actresses), and the film didn't even crack the Top 10 Independent films. Clearly this isn't the Winter's Bone-breakout many of us thought it would be.

Tilda Swinton definitely seems like an atypical choice for this group, but I'm wary of getting my hopes up about Swinton's Best Actress bids. She's so predictably awesome and so routinely overlooked by Oscar for her great leading triumphs I'm tempted to just look at this victory as a tease.

Harry Potter still isn't getting nominated for Best Picture.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

From what I hear, there really are a lot of Martha Marcy May Marlene haters out there, and the fact that it couldn't best out Cedar Rapids for One of the Ten Best Independent Films is telling. Shame.

Good for Hugo. I don't love it, but it's a dazzling film that needs a push and it got it. This is what I was talking about yesterday with films like Drive, Melancholia, and The Tree of Life. Just because I don't love these films doesn't mean I don't wish them honored above something as mediocre as The Descendants.

Pretty stunned that Midnight in Paris and Moneyball didn't factor in.

The Descendants won three awards. Hugo won two. The only film that could possibly sweep at this point is A Separation which is now very likely.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

So none of the choices match up with the NYFCC, other than Best Foreign Language film? That's a promising start.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Initial impressions:

They still love Eastwood, enough to spotlight J. Edgar, but their true current hero is Clooney -- third best actor award in five years, and his weaker film also makes the top ten. However bad a day The Descendants had yesterday, today offers redemption.

First signs of life for some late entries, War Horse and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. On the other side, little for The Help or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Also Moneyball, after yesterday, is a striking full shutout.

Swinton/Woodley seems more NY than NBR, just as Streep seemed the opposite yesterday.

Hooray for non-consensus.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Awards have been announced. Here is the press release:

NAMED 2011 BEST FILM OF THE YEAR BY
THE NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW

2011 Gala to be held on
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
hosted by Natalie Morales

New York, NY – (December 1, 2011) – The National Board of Review has named HUGO the 2011 Best Film of the Year. Directed by Martin Scorsese, the film was released on November 23rd by Paramount Pictures.
Below is a full list of the awards given by the National Board of Review:
Best Film: Hugo
Best Director: Martin Scorsese, Hugo
Best Actor: George Clooney, The Descendants
Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley, The Descendants
Best Original Screenplay: Will Reiser, 50/50
Best Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
Best Animated Feature: Rango
Breakthrough Performance: Felicity Jones, Like Crazy
Breakthrough Performance: Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Debut Director: J.C. Chandor, Margin Call
Best Ensemble: The Help
Spotlight Award: Michael Fassbender (A Dangerous Method, Jane Eyre, Shame, X-Men: First Class)
NBR Freedom of Expression: Crime After Crime
NBR Freedom of Expression: Pariah
Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
Best Documentary: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Special Achievement in Filmmaking: The Harry Potter Franchise – A Distinguished Translation from Book
to Film

Top Films
(in alphabetical order)

The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
The Ides of March
J. Edgar
Tree of Life
War Horse

Top 5 Foreign Language Films
(In Alphabetical Order)

13 Assassins
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within
Footnote
Le Havre
Point Blank

Top 5 Documentaries
(In Alphabetical Order)

Born to be Wild
Buck
George Harrison: Living in the Material World
Project Nim
Senna

Top 10 Independent Films
(In Alphabetical Order)

50/50
Another Earth
Beginners
A Better Life
Cedar Rapids
Margin Call
Shame
Take Shelter
We Need To Talk About Kevin
Win Win

“HUGO is such a personal film by Martin Scorsese,” said Annie Schulhof, NBR President. “It is a tribute to the early years of cinema that uses today’s cutting edge technology to bring the audience into a completely unique and magical world. It is visually stunning and emotionally engaging.”
A select group of knowledgeable film enthusiasts and professionals, academics, young filmmakers and students, the National Board of Review viewed over 250 films this year including studio, independent, foreign-language, animated and documentary selections. These screenings were frequently followed by in-depth discussions with filmmakers, directors, actors, producers, and screenwriters. Voting ballots were tabulated by the accounting firm of Lutz & Carr, LLP.

The National Board of Review honors diverse members of the film community at their annual Awards Gala, which also acts as a fundraiser for student grant philanthropy. Hosted by Natalie Morales, this year’s Gala will take place on January 10, 2012 at Cipriani’s 42nd St. in New York City.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

I'd wait until after the Holiday season to get fingers. There's a considerable price drop in January.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yeah, I probably need new glasses or new fingers or both. :roll:
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

You're all about that semi-colon lately, Magilla.

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”