NY Critics winners

For the films of 2011
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: NY Critics winners (in progress)

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know if I'd really consider them that important anymore. Looking over this list, a lot of these choices seem very predictable. And let's not let the Streep bandwagon get going too fast because it's just going to crash again. Remember how many prizes she's won in the past from critics groups without victory. Julie & Julia, a film that had no shot with Oscar despite being flogged by every critic and their mother netted her 8 awards including the New York critics. She won five (including SAG) for Doubt. The Academy isn't just going to give her a prize for being Meryl Streep. They could have done that easily by now. No, with Harvey Weinstein beyond Michelle Williams, her age and iconic character in My Week with Marilyn, I think you need to look there for the likely winner in February. But that's my opinion wanting to keep the Streep-hards from getting too overexcited about this choice.

No Animated Film is likely meant to comment on the lackluster year the major studios have had. With big efforts like Puss in Boots, Happy Feet Two and Cars 2 all bombing with critics, they probably wanted to send a stiff message to Hollywood.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Apparently no Animated Feature award this year.

One hopes we'll see runners-up; if there were alot of close races, and omitted titles turned up regularly, it might change our view of this. However, simply based on the surface -- i.e., the winners:

A bad day for The Descendants.

A perhaps worse day for the indie candidates -- Fassbender, Olsen, Dunst, Swinton -- who needed some notice to get in among the glamour candidates. (Albert Brooks, by contrast, gets a leg up from this)

Not much love for the late-screening films, Iron Lady aside. One wonders if critics get set in their choices as the year goes on, and are less likely to be blown away by last-thing-I-saw than the studios believe.

Streep is now clearly well-placed. If other critics' groups go for her as well, the long-expected third could become reality.

HUGE boost for The Artist. As I've understood things, the main thing holding it back in some eyes is the sense of it being in the end too trivial a film. A best film award from such an august group is a pretty good rejoinder to that.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

rudeboy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Is this the NYFCC seeking revenge against the Academy for picking King's Speech last year? I hadn't realized Moneyball had this many good reviews. Or is the Jeffrey Wells faction pushing hard for it?
Moneyball was released in the UK last weekend to some good notices for Pitt but a largely ho-him reaction overall, and certainly not sounding like the script was a winner... I was wondering if it was really so well received over there?
95% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 87 on Metacritic; $74 million at the box office, two months in the top ten BO.

Yeah, it was very well-received (although I'm ambivalent about Pitt myself).
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

OscarGuy wrote:Is this the NYFCC seeking revenge against the Academy for picking King's Speech last year? I hadn't realized Moneyball had this many good reviews. Or is the Jeffrey Wells faction pushing hard for it?
Moneyball was released in the UK last weekend to some good notices for Pitt but a largely ho-him reaction overall, and certainly not sounding like the script was a winner... I was wondering if it was really so well received over there?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Harvey Triumphant. The Artist wins best film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Is this the NYFCC seeking revenge against the Academy for picking King's Speech last year? I hadn't realized Moneyball had this many good reviews. Or is the Jeffrey Wells faction pushing hard for it?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Might be worth noting this was one group that DIDN'T honor Sorkin last year (they went with The Kids Are All Right).

Lubezki wins the one gimme of the day, for cinematography. A three-minute vote, per Twitter.

It would have been funny if Tree of Life had ended up with a share of two acting awards, but lost directing and cinematography.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Moneyball for Screenplay.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Best Director is Michel Hazanavicius -- a surprise to me. I didn't think it was such a critics' film.

The voting took a LONG time, so I'd love to hear what wrangling went on. It may be Hazanavicius became a "Block (Something)" choice on the final ballot.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My initial take on what we have so far is a war between the pro-Tree of Lifers and the anti-Tree of Lifers, with the pros winning so far. Streep and Brooks look like easy consensus choices, but the long, drawn out balloting for Pitt and Chastain look like tug-of-war winns. What I imagine going on now is the same thing for the reimaining slots which could al go to Tree except, of course, for Animated Feature.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sorry, is this the Broadcast Film Critics Association awards thread?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Independant Spirit nominations are out but so far you have to go to their site and figure out who is nominated for what.

http://www.spiritawards.com/nominee_cat ... ng-female/

Broroks and Chastain are only agreements thus far with NYDC. GlennClose snubbed, but Janet McTeer is in.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

By the way, I'm adding winners as announced in the original post.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

In progress thoughts:

Who, five years ago, would have imagined Brad Pitt a NY Critics winner?

Does the double-citation for Pitt in lead mean a supporting Tree of Life nomination (at the Oscars) is less likely?

NY has turned super-mainstream in the lead acting categories of late.

How many remember that Albert Brooks is already a NY winner, for screenplay of Mother?

So Chastain pulls a Catherine Keener. But, in Keener's case, it was clear one role --in Capote -- was the Oscar-est. Is that clear for Chastain? Is The Help her surest entry, or might some opt for one of the other two?

Viola Davis has been the early-line choice for best actress, but this obviously moves Streep up the line. What do we think the Broadcasters will do? Yet another "Meryl ties with someone" year?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Actor: Brad Pitt for "Moneyball," and "Tree of Life"

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”