(Ridiculous) NY Critics Voting Date

For the films of 2011
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: (Ridiculous) NY Critics Voting Date

Post by ksrymy »

nightwingnova wrote:Would any of its components been in the running to be recognized if it were screened? I don't think I've even seen a trailer.
I know its trailer shows before J. Edgar.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Would any of its components been in the running to be recognized if it were screened? I don't think I've even seen a trailer.

Girl/Tattoo's trailer I have seen. Definitely a player for direction and cinematography if nothing else. Maybe actress.
The Original BJ wrote:From my understanding, the sound mix to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is still being tweaked. It makes sense where the producers are coming from, though -- when you're screening for critics, you want everything to be as good as it's going to get.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

From my understanding, the sound mix to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is still being tweaked. It makes sense where the producers are coming from, though -- when you're screening for critics, you want everything to be as good as it's going to get.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And now, official word that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close will not have been screened prior to voting by either NY or NBR. Circus time.

The film's producers are saying they can't possibly screen earlier because it would mean interfering with the creative process. Oddly, that didn't seem to impede the screening BJ saw weeks back.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote:I had heard it was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Big Magilla wrote:A little less ridiculous as the date is pushed back one day to allow the membership to see War Horse on the 28th:
My error, you are correct.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I had heard it was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Big Magilla wrote:A little less ridiculous as the date is pushed back one day to allow the membership to see War Horse on the 28th:

New York Film Critics Circle
Announce
2011 Twitter Handle and Voting Date Shift

November 21, 2011 — The New York Film Critics Circle announced today that they will be announcing their awards during their annual vote via twitter, please follow the handle @NYFCC2011. Also, the vote has been shifted back a day and will now take place the morning of Tuesday, November 29th, at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center. The awards will be handed out at a ceremony on Monday, January 9, 2012.

Says chairman John Anderson, “We were looking forward to voting on Monday, November 28th, but due to conflicting schedules, we have made the decision to move back a day to ensure all of our voters have the opportunity to see all of the eligible films.”

Founded in 1935, the New York Film Critics Circle is the oldest and most prestigious in the country. The circle’s membership includes critics from daily newspapers, weekly newspapers, magazines and the Web’s most respected on-line publications. Every year the organization meets in New York to vote on awards for the calendar year’s films. The Circle’s awards are often viewed as harbingers of the Oscar nominations. The Circle’s awards are also viewed — perhaps more accurately — as a principled alternative to the Oscars, honoring aesthetic merit in a forum that is immune to commercial and political pressures.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A little less ridiculous as the date is pushed back one day to allow the membership to see War Horse on the 28th:

New York Film Critics Circle
Announce
2011 Twitter Handle and Voting Date Shift

November 21, 2011 — The New York Film Critics Circle announced today that they will be announcing their awards during their annual vote via twitter, please follow the handle @NYFCC2011. Also, the vote has been shifted back a day and will now take place the morning of Tuesday, November 29th, at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center. The awards will be handed out at a ceremony on Monday, January 9, 2012.

Says chairman John Anderson, “We were looking forward to voting on Monday, November 28th, but due to conflicting schedules, we have made the decision to move back a day to ensure all of our voters have the opportunity to see all of the eligible films.”

Founded in 1935, the New York Film Critics Circle is the oldest and most prestigious in the country. The circle’s membership includes critics from daily newspapers, weekly newspapers, magazines and the Web’s most respected on-line publications. Every year the organization meets in New York to vote on awards for the calendar year’s films. The Circle’s awards are often viewed as harbingers of the Oscar nominations. The Circle’s awards are also viewed — perhaps more accurately — as a principled alternative to the Oscars, honoring aesthetic merit in a forum that is immune to commercial and political pressures.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Damien wrote:So far, 663 movies have opened in New York in 2011. By year's end, the number of releases will be well over 700, so I doubt that any critics will have seen even half of the eligible movies and there is no make up time.
That many? Most years there are fewer than 250 films eligible for Oscars.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Actually with press screenings and screeners today's critics probably see a greater percentage of all films released than key critics of old who cherry-picked the films they wanted to see, while second or third stringers were dispatched to see the lesser publicized films the day they opened.
But by having the awards voted upon in January, they had time to catch up on films that received good word of mouth. So far, 663 movies have opened in New York in 2011. By year's end, the number of releases will be well over 700, so I doubt that any critics will have seen even half of the eligible movies and there is no make up time.

Another problem with the early voting is that the reviewers don't have the time to see if a film stays with them, or whether its qualities are visceral and its impact fades with time. This has always been a problem, with voters tending to go with what they've seen recently, but this new schedule makes the problem even more acute.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually with press screenings and screeners today's critics probably see a greater percentage of all films released than key critics of old who cherry-picked the films they wanted to see, while second or third stringers were dispatched to see the lesser publicized films the day they opened.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

nightwingnova wrote:While it may not seem a comprehensive deliberation, the critics only have to get screeners for about a dozen films not yet released and which have generated any advanced buzz. There may be cinematography or a screenplay that could get overlooked, but I would think that most anything worth seeing has generated some buzz by the vote.

Magilla makes a good point about early voting. That's why I really like seeing who the competitive runners-up are, as it helps me and others choose movies to see over the holidays.

Films generating advanced buzz opening in December:

Shame
Coriolanus
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Carnage
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
War Horse
The Iron Lady
Albert Nobbs
Big Magilla wrote:Probably not, but they will have seen a good many of them in press screenings. The real problem with early awards is not that the voters will not have seen everything, but that once awards season begins the focus will be on the award winners and the films that don't get anything will have a tougher time finding an audience. The fair thing, if they want to sart giving out awards in November, would be to have an October 31st cut-off like the Grammys, but that will never happen.
I'm confident Damien's point here would be that critics shouldn't limit themselves merely to films that have advance buzz, since buzz is often purely a product of the Hollywood hype machine. If the critics don't see all eligible films, but just ones that seem Oscar-likely, they're conceding they're not actually deciding the year's best, but instead contributing to the promotional apparatus that is Oscar season.

And just for the record, there's suddenly some excitement about Angelina Jolie's debut film, In the Land of Blood and Honey, which was on no one's hot list. It really does make sense to wait and see the damn films before even thinking about year end awards...but that's a concept that seems to fade further each year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think the screenrs for most of these films will go out before December or maybe even January, but there are sure to be press screenings.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

While it may not seem a comprehensive deliberation, the critics only have to get screeners for about a dozen films not yet released and which have generated any advanced buzz. There may be cinematography or a screenplay that could get overlooked, but I would think that most anything worth seeing has generated some buzz by the vote.

Magilla makes a good point about early voting. That's why I really like seeing who the competitive runners-up are, as it helps me and others choose movies to see over the holidays.

Films generating advanced buzz opening in December:

Shame
Coriolanus
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Carnage
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
War Horse
The Iron Lady
Albert Nobbs
Big Magilla wrote:Probably not, but they will have seen a good many of them in press screenings. The real problem with early awards is not that the voters will not have seen everything, but that once awards season begins the focus will be on the award winners and the films that don't get anything will have a tougher time finding an audience. The fair thing, if they want to sart giving out awards in November, would be to have an October 31st cut-off like the Grammys, but that will never happen.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Probably not, but they will have seen a good many of them in press screenings. The real problem with early awards is not that the voters will not have seen everything, but that once awards season begins the focus will be on the award winners and the films that don't get anything will have a tougher time finding an audience. The fair thing, if they want to sart giving out awards in November, would be to have an October 31st cut-off like the Grammys, but that will never happen.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Earlier this week, the NY Times listed all the movies being released in New York between now and early January. There are a total of 40 films scheduled for release AFTER these people have already voted, There's no way they will have seen all 40 of them. Their awards are meaningless.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”