Possible Acting Nominees - 2011

For the films of 2011
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Possible Acting Nominees - 2011

Post by Big Magilla »

Initially I didn't expect too much from J. Edgar given Eastwood's lackluster take on Mandella, but I like that they are putting it out there early enough to gain traction with awards groups. I still think War Horse is the one to beat, though.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm dubious of A Dangerous Method's Oscar chances as a whole, but I could see the Foreign Press giving it a slew of nominations. I think Viggo and Knightley will likely be nominated in Support, but just as Scarlett Johansson's haughty turn proved too much for Academy members, so likely will Keira Knightley. Haven't seen the film but Viggo looks damn fun in the movie, so I say he's A Dangerous Method's best shot.

For Best Actress:
Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Elisabeth Olsen, Mary Marcy May Marlene
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

Also, twice last decade Clint Eastwood directed a film to three Oscar nominations. So unless J. Edgar turns out to be a giant turkey (and I doubt it; there are too many blandly talented people involved), Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, and Naomi Watts look like good bets. The film may lead the nominations as it's one of the few historical epics. Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, Art Direction, Costume Design, and Makeup for 11. If it missed a Film Editing nomination as Mystic River and Letters from Iwo Jima did, then it's a historic star vehicle that will lead on Oscar morning without the most important nom...just like Bugsy. Which also had three acting noms. Look for Jeffrey Donovan to give an identically horrible performance as he did in Changeling.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Other possible "babes" include Felicity Jones in Like Crazy; Charlize Theron in Young Adult and Keira Knightley in A Dangerous Method.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Thanks.

Only two ''babes'' on the Best Actress possibilities list so far........Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia) and Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn), going head to head with the two ''oldies''......Streep who is ''due'' her third Oscar and Close who has never won despite 5 nods in the past.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Our list will likely change this month as we analyze the fallout from Toronto, Telluride and Venice (why are they scheduled at the same time? grrrr).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Possible Acting Nominees - 2011

Post by Reza »

Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) and Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs) will most probably get nominated. But who else is in the race? And what about the supporting actresses?

Similarly George Clooney will most probably get a nod for The Descendants. But who else is in the running in the lead and supporting actor categories?

Return to “84th Predictions and Precursors”