Best Picture

For the films of 2011
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Best Picture

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:The post-Oscar financial bump The Artist is going to get is going to fall somewhere between that which can be attributed to the effects of winning the Indie Spirit John Cassavetes Award and the Ft. Lauderdale Film Festival Award for Best Picture.
Why?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The post-Oscar financial bump The Artist is going to get is going to fall somewhere between that which can be attributed to the effects of winning the Indie Spirit John Cassavetes Award and the Ft. Lauderdale Film Festival Award for Best Picture.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I will be very interested in seeing what box-office bump THE ARTIST and other winners get.

THE ARTIST, HUGO, THE IRON LADY, and A SEPARATION will probably benefit the most financially. BEGINNERS will see some more DVD rentals. THE HELP, THE DESCENDANTS, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, and THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO might see some pick-up in theatres and on DVD, but mostly they found their audience already. The rest of the winners and nominees will probably see a minimum of financial gain from what was probably a very expensive campaign.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I had no idea Peter Lorre produced The Artist.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

They have gone for two lightweight but entertaining films in a row. Hopefully next year we will see a winner of substance. Sad to see great films like THE TREE OF LIFE and TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY shut out, but at least Meryl and Christopher Plummer won. That made the whole night worth it.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Good night everyone. With Streep and The Artist and A Separation winning, and with Scorsese and Lubezki losing, I think everyone had a reason to be both esctatic and miserable tonight, for different reasons.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Thank God. I hated the first half of the broadcast but this is my ultimate catharsis.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Wow, I'm strangely happy with a Best Picture winner. Really happy to see The Artist win.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Picture

Post by OscarGuy »

The Artist
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”