2011 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2011
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: 2011 Oscar Nominations

Post by ksrymy »

Sabin wrote:Angelina Jolie - 1/2?
1/3? Changeling, Girl Interrupted, and In the Land of Blood and Honey.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
HollywoodZ
Graduate

Post by HollywoodZ »

Um, there's an interesting misprint on The Academy's page http://oscar.go.com/nominees, for Visual Effects, they list that Transformers: Dark of the Moon is nominated, but the names of the nominees are the team from The Tree of Life.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Two of the biggest recent sensations in the publishing world - The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo and The Help - shut out of the Best Adapted Screenplay category.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Some thoughts:

I suppose the Better Life guy shouldn't have been so surprising with the SAG nom

Blood Diamond perf > J Edgar perf per the Academy?? In my opinion Leo was better than Clooney and Pitt, but of course wasn't in a pic of the year and much less fresh than feller in point 1

I was so hoping after Oldman was announced that Alfredsson might be sneaking with him...no go

And I'm with BJ on Mulligan, but I'd also say with no Chastain from ToL, and Davis/Bejo confusegory they didn't nominate any of the best supporting actress performances this year
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Madonna 1, Angelina Jolie 0.
As if Jolie were a world-class filmmaker.
Okri wrote:..... Heh. So, when do we start apologizing to Big Magilla?
Check the predictions thread. Some of us prostrated ourselves immediately, before the "2011 Oscar Nominations" thread was put up.

Crap, as if I haven't seen enough of those commercials.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

..... Heh. So, when do we start apologizing to Big Magilla?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I guess it's a comparison of films directed.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Angelina Jolie - 1/2?
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Madonna 1, Angelina Jolie 0.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

LMFAO these nominations.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Man or Muppet was co-written by Bret McKenzie, perhaps better known as one-half of Flight of the Conchords. Cool.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

OscarGuy wrote:The Adventures of Tintin proved that animators are a bunch of assholes. They have written off motion capture as an animation form for years and I thought this would be the year they stood aside for it. But apparently not. They don't want anyone honing in on their territory. They're almost worse than actors and their seeming hatred for the art form.
The actors I can understand. It's harder to tell where the actor's work stands apart from the motion capture effects. But animation should be a broad enough field to include this technology.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

I have heard that Margin Call is a film with an interesting development backstory, and a unique release (simultaneous theater/Netflix if I'm not mistaken) - not to mention a tense movie.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Adventures of Tintin proved that animators are a bunch of assholes. They have written off motion capture as an animation form for years and I thought this would be the year they stood aside for it. But apparently not. They don't want anyone honing in on their territory. They're almost worse than actors and their seeming hatred for the art form.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Possibly tying with Lord of the Rings: The Return of King with 11 noms.

Return to “84th Nominations and Winners”