Visual Effects Finalists

For the films of 2011
Dien
Graduate

Re: Visual Effects Finalists

Post by Dien »

What's so groundbreaking about Rise of the Planet of the Apes? It's no more groundbreaking than anything else listed. Everything nominated this year has been done before. Lord of the Rings and King Kong both used motion capture (as well as Andy Serkis), so I don't consider it revolutionary. The reason why I predict Super 8 is for its mix of old-school techniques with modern CGI. There's the ridiculous train wreck created completely with CGI followed by real shit falling from the sky, on fire, while a bunch of kids are running around. Then you have the footage of the ship falling apart into cubes and later being recreated using small town hardware and automotives. Even the kids were crafty with their effects for their B-movie attempt (particularly the scene where the zombie's head is pressed against some rusty nails).

If Hugo appeals to cinema sentimentality, then why can't Super 8?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

At this point, I'd be rather surprised if Super 8 managed to make the cut. I think most of the pictures with VFX this year were easily better than Super 8.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2
Hugo
*Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Transformers: The Dark of the Moon
The Tree of Life
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't know why you think Super 8 wins. I loved the film but its visual effects is nowhere near as groundbreaking as Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Don't dismiss Captain America. The skinnying-up of Chris Evans will win it some votes, methinks.
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2″
“Rise of the Planet of the Apes”
“Super 8″
“Transformers: Dark of the Moon”
“The Tree of Life”

I predict a snub for Hugo and a win for Super 8.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think The Tree of Life has an excellent shot at making the Final Five. The visual effects branch will appreciate the largely old-school effects done by Douglas Trumbull, the guy behind 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is out on DVD on Tuesday (12/13). It is not only a likely FX nominee, but the likely winner. A major push is being given Andy Serkis' motion capture performnace, which if it happens, will be historic.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've seen all but four, thwo of which haven't even released to theaters yet (MI4, Sherlock Holmes). The other two are Cowboys & Aliens and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I wanted to see Apes, but never could get around to it. I won't watch Cowboys & Aliens (and won't need to as it won't get Oscar nominated). I will see MI4, but not Sherlock Holmes.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HollywoodZ
Graduate

Post by HollywoodZ »

Seen 8 of them. Need to see Sherlock Holmes, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Real Steel, no interest in Tree of Life, Transformers or Sucker Punch, will probably be dragged to see Mission Impossible by my wife (her thing with Jeremy Renner and all). Here's how I see the bake-off going:

Finalists:

- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Hugo
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Super 8
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The Tree of Life
- X-Men: First Class

...and the five nominees will be...

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Hugo
- Rise of the Plane of the Apes
- Super 8
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon

...and your winner will be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. While the effects on Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the technical achievement, Harry Potter's virtual shunning in this category for a decade will win on prestige alone. They'll want to recognize it here as it will be the Academy's last chance.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I saw 12. 3 of them in theaters.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Visual Effects Finalists

Post by Mister Tee »

Hey -- I've seen a full five of these (only two in theatres).

“Captain America: The First Avenger”
“Cowboys & Aliens”
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2″
“Hugo”
“Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”
“Real Steel”
“Rise of the Planet of the Apes”
“Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”
“Sucker Punch”
“Super 8″
“Thor”