The PETER TRAVERS Top 10 Contest - 2012

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: The PETER TRAVERS Top 10 Contest - 2012

Post by FilmFan720 »

Here is a link to last year's contest, if you want further information:

http://uaadb.cinemasight.com/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

The PETER TRAVERS Top 10 Contest - 2012

Post by FilmFan720 »

As the reigning champion of this beloved contest (as well as the standard-bearer for pathetic performance in the contest), I'll borrow the mantle from Sonic Youth this year and run the contest for him.

Here is how Sonic himself describes the contest: "The Peter Travers contest, which I started here I think 10 years ago, is really a statement disguised as a contest. The statement is, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone magazine is the most unoriginal, unidiosyncratic, yet highly dependable film critic around, both in his writing style - it's not for nothing that he's "the most blurbed film critic", according to Wiki - and in his taste in films. He slightly defies convention by positioning his tastes moderately left-of-center, very much like a white, college-age male just discovering "cool" movies would. That's not a bad starting point, but Travers has never opened his tastes up from there. And what better way to expose his predictibility than to build a contest around it?"

Furthermore, I am keeping the rules the same as last year:

a). One (1) point is awarded for correctly guessing which films will be on his top ten list.

b). One (1) additional point is awarded for accurately guessing precisely where on the list a film will end up. (Total: two (2) points.)

c). One (1) more additional point is awarded for accurately guessing the number one film of the year. (Total: three (3) points)

d). Three (3) bonus points for accurately predicting which movies will result in a tie, if any. Remember, there may or may not be a tie this year. Travers is one of those critics that likes to put ties in his lists, so you may want to take that under consideration. That said, not every yearly list has ties, so predict at your own risk. (Accurately predicting that there will be no tie gets you zero (0) points. Nice try, but no.)

e). One (1) point is docked for every inaccurately predicted tie. This is to discourage contestants from predicting too many ties.

f). The poll is officially closed when his list is released, and it's authenticity has been verified to my satisfaction.

g). Anyone caught revising his or her list after Travers releases his list will be disqualified.

h). In the event of a first place tie, the completely arbitrary solution is: whoever has guessed more higher-ranking movies on the list wins. If there is still a tie, then the winners will agree to share the honor with grace and humility.

i). Sonic Youth and FilmFan720 are not prohibited from winning their own contest. (This rule has never been applied, but probably will be this year!)

Here is the list of previous winners you can join this illustrious list of winners:
2011 - FilmFan720
2010 - Eric
2009 - Big Magilla
2008 - UNKNOWN
2007 - UNKNOWN
2006 - The Original BJ
2005 - FilmFan720
2004 - Sabin AND rudeboy (A Peter Travers-esque Tie)
2003 - UNKNOWN
2002 - UNKNOWN
2001 - UNKNOWN

I don't know when the Top 10 List comes out, but the moment it is published than the contest will end. No advance warning, so get those ballots in!!!!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “2012”