Les Miserables

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Les Miserables

Post by Big Magilla »

This is just a teaser trailer. The film is still in production, but even if the film is nominated for Best Picture and a slew of technical awards, actingnods are still iffy. Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean would seem to be the most likley with supporting players Eddie Remayne as Marius; Amanda Seyfried as Cosette; Samantha Barks recreating her highly praised London stage role as Eponine and Aaron Tveit as Enjorias having the more interesting roles. A nomination for Russell Crowe would depend on the competition for Best Actor which looks strong right now. He could be placed in support, but Inspector Javert is a co-lead so I dont see that as likely. Anne Hathaway could be nominated in support for Fantine but as has been stated, she has only one song and dies rahter early in the plot.

Yes, Hooper is having his actors sing in character while filming, but I'm wondering if all the songs are sung straight out or if some of them are going to be sung over montages. While the song in the teaser is sung over a montage of other scenes from the film, the scenes of Fantine shown in retrospect are not scenes they are actually in the narrative and appear to have bene filmed to be shown while Hathaway sings over them.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Chances of Tom Hooper's Les Miserables being as good as this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BHBTRts ... re=related

0.0%.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

dws1982 wrote:Javert has one of the two or three best songs in the show ("Stars"), so I'd really hate to see Crowe mess that up.
I never saw the stage musical; but, I do have the CD. While I like "Stars," as I do all the songs in Les Miserables, my four favorites are "One Day More," "I Dreamed A Dream," "Master Of The House," and "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Tom Hooper had the actors sing live on-set. Very unusual practice for a musical since they usually pre-record the singing parts and the actors just lip-synch it.

It seems to have paid off judging by that trailer.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Fantine's such a nothing character that I'd hate to think of anyone winning an Oscar for playing her. Other than the one song (admittedly, a very good one), there's just not much at all to the character. Of course, performers have won Tonys and even Oscars for performances that didn't have much to them other than one song...

Overall it looks better than I thought it would, even though I'm not sure how a lot of the better elements of the show will work in the movie. (Especially thinking of "One Day More", a genuinely stirring first act closer that brings in the whole ensemble, features reprises of nearly every song up until that point, etc.) Still not crazy about Russell Crowe as Javert (wish the Paul Bettany thing had gone through), but I'll hold judgment until I see something from him. Javert has one of the two or three best songs in the show ("Stars"), so I'd really hate to see Crowe mess that up.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I think she may manage a nomination out of it and could possibly win. This is also attributed to the fact that she will sing her own numbers as proved by her and Hugh Jackman's opening number from a few years ago.

It'll definitely pick up traction because of all the possibilities for art direction, costumes, etc. plus Tom Hooper's being involved.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Greg
Tenured

Les Miserables

Post by Greg »

I think now is a good time to start a thread on Les Miserables. Here is the official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uUTKOUhZU

I have three initial thoughts.

1: It appears the movie will be sung through like the stage musical.

2: Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter are playing the Thenardiers. Even though this will be a dramatic musical, the two of them performing "Master Of The House" could be one of the great comedic moments in film history.

3: I consider Anne Hathaway to be the frontrunner to win the Oscar, but for Best Supporting Actress unless there are a lot of flashback scenes, as Fantine dies early in the story.

Return to “2012”